Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood we moved to recently does not have sidewalks, and the road is regularly salted in the winter. I've read that road salt can burn dogs' paws, but my pupster doesn't seem to have any ill effects so far. What's the best way to deal with road salt if there are no good alternatives routes for dog walking in snowy/icy weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Boots are the best of course, but I have yet to find boots that stay on very well. Clean your dog's paws when you get home. S/he may just have to deal with shorter walks at times.

ETA, there are quasi-boots called Pawz, that are really just like rubber ballons. They'll keep salt off the feet, and keep them dry. They don't do much for keeping the feet warm. They tear easily but they come in packs of a half dozen pairs or so.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Boots & wash feet when you return home. Not only does it burn its toxic for them the lick & can burn their mouth.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
We run our hounds in the winter....no problems.....unless they get cut.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM

328 posts, read 682,189 times
My dog yells from the pain of the road salt. I make sure his feet are washed off well when I get home so he does not ingest this poison, not does it become part of my carpeting. Do my best not to walk him on the road when salted.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
boots...

if your not interested in oots make sure to wash feet after eac walk, dry an put some baby safe lotion ect on (something like vaseline works well) the salt dries out the pad which will eventually if not kept ontop of lead to cracking the splits and cracks then allow the salt past the protective paw pd and thats where the pain comes in...the cracks and splits can be so minute that you cant even see them...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Artie does his "stuff" in the back yard and doesn't have to deal with salty roads. However, we just came back from a trip to Montreal and there was no fenced-in yard where we were staying. To make matters worse, it being Montreal in the winter, the roads were heavily salted. Every few steps, he'd lift one of his paws for me to wipe it. He was clearly agitated from it, poor guy.

When we lived in CT and walked on salted roads, I used a product like this (because Artie's too cool for boots):
Amazon.com: Invisible Dog Boots - Protect Paws From Sand, Hot Pavement, Ice, and Salt with All Natural 100% Wax-Based Cream. For Dogs Who Just Won't Wear Boots. - 60gm: Pet Supplies

Shmear it on before walking.

It really seemed to make a difference.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We run our hounds in the winter....no problems.....unless they get cut.
It's good to know that your dogs don't have any problems. Thanks. Mine doesn't seem to either...yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

When we lived in CT and walked on salted roads, I used a product like this (because Artie's too cool for boots):
Amazon.com: Invisible Dog Boots - Protect Paws From Sand, Hot Pavement, Ice, and Salt with All Natural 100% Wax-Based Cream. For Dogs Who Just Won't Wear Boots. - 60gm: Pet Supplies

Shmear it on before walking.

It really seemed to make a difference.
This looks like the best alternative - THANKS!!!!! No way could we deal with boots.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I use Musher's wax too. Not so much for the salt, but for the cold, Sophie has very sensitive feet. I just open the jar, swipe her paw and rub it in a bit.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

I just ordered the Musher's Secret. After doing a quick web comparison, Amazon does seem to have the best price. Thanks everyone for your comments and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs