Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

Why do dogs have such odd eating habits? I've seen the dogs my brother and sister have take a treat that you give them and walk across the house drop it on the carpet and eat it. I've seen another dog who's dog dish is on the linoleum will take a small mouth full of food walk a couple of feet over into the dining room and eat on the carpet, repeating this until his dish is empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Lucy will tell me she is starving and beg for her supper. When I put it in her dish she lays down beside it like she is saying grace over it and finally will eat some but not until after she has laid beside it for as long as half an hour. How hungry could she have been?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Lucy will tell me she is starving and beg for her supper. When I put it in her dish she lays down beside it like she is saying grace over it and finally will eat some but not until after she has laid beside it for as long as half an hour. How hungry could she have been?
lmao

Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Why do dogs have such odd eating habits? I've seen the dogs my brother and sister have take a treat that you give them and walk across the house drop it on the carpet and eat it. I've seen another dog who's dog dish is on the linoleum will take a small mouth full of food walk a couple of feet over into the dining room and eat on the carpet, repeating this until his dish is empty.
Sometimes it could be that it's fun to the dog. Like somes dogs will turn over their bowl then eat. And also it could be to get attention.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Dogs do typically prefer to eat on carpet as it provides more secure footing than slippery flooring. This way they can just concentrate on enjoying their meal rather than keeping their paws in place. I always recommend feeding on a mat large enough for all four paws to fit on for this reason.

Dogs who lay down to eat crack me up! None of mine do it but I've seen others eat this way. I do have a horse that lays down and grazes though! He's lazy

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Might find some answers here. Although the tags clanking on a metal food bowl might be the reason for some dogs, this doesn't apply to any dogs I've had....so that theory is out.

Whenever I feed my dog from a plate or bowl she takes out any food that can't be licked up out of/off of it. I've even played the game of trying to slide the paper plate around on the floor (to keep it right under where she might drop the food) after she's picked up the food. She avoids eating over the plate at all costs.

I've always thought she didn't like eating her food from her bowl because it's right up against a wall/cabinet. Nope. That theory doesn't apply either.

She takes food out of a bowl or off of a plate regardless if she's fed on carpet or laminate flooring.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I think it's more of a wild-animal trait, whereas the dog will get what food it can carry and get away from the source and other animals fighting for it. You'll notice your dog will hide to eat or at least face away from the food bowl. Just like they "nest" before laying down, rarely look at each other while resting, and so forth. They are still animals and have survival instincts (other than my wife's dog, of course).

Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
could this explain why the dog hides bones in the couch? But I'm thinking it's a game for him, because he'll hide the bone in the couch next to you then whine cause he got it in there to far.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Our Dachshund does this, and has done it ever since we adopted her. We figured that it was because she came from a multi-dog house and this was her way of making her own little food pile away from the other dogs. That was just our best guess though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs