Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM

32,813 posts, read 48,693,795 times

Advertisements

The most important command to teach is "Come". A good solid reliable recall might save your dog's life some day. That doesn't mean come when you feel like it. It means right now, at high speed, no exceptions.

"Leave it" is very valuable.. Again, that could save your dog's life.

"Wait" is useful, especially when going in and out of doors.

Then general good manners. Don't jump on people, don't steal food, ride quietly in the car. Dogs with good manners get to go places. Rude monsters get left home.

Sit, down, stay will get used. "load 'em up" or "kennel" to get into the car or into the crate, very useful.

"Quiet" or "no bark" is essential if you don't want noise complaints from teh neighbors and maybe the police coming around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM

13,946 posts, read 39,516,514 times
House training & manners is most important at this stage of her life. House trining is Not Just where to go potty but Not Distroying things! Playing quietly Getting use to Vacume cleaners, eating [no begging lol] Not jumping on visitors not licking & chewing on people [mouthing] Walking nicely on leash....healing comes later! Brushing nail clipping ear cleaning & baths should be done daily ...baths weekly for awhile just so the Full grown dog will except taking baths later LOL When out and about great othe dogs & peole all ages races & male female. Walking on different things from dirt grass cement blacktop carpet lenolem [vynal] A puppy has a lot of things to learn evey day is adventure! Have Fun! And when she older join a obedience class! Where she learn to listen even among other dogs & people!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,476,745 times
I highly recommend teaching verbal commands with hand singals. They learn it quicker because they're more visual.

When they get older and start losing their hearing, it makes life easier for everyone.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,642,752 times
I walked Jazz on a gentle leader ( head harness) not because she pulled but because she did not like other dogs in her face and being we forever ran into loose dogs that got in her face it gave me control of her head. I do know that guide dogs for the blind here in CA uses head halters on its puppies so that is what the puppy raisers walk them with . I think Jazz liked hers as back then everyone thought it was a muzzle and that she must be a mean dog so even if she had a ball in her mouth which was common as we walked I got the muzzle comment and also a lot of people looking at her and crossing the street so as not to pass the " mean" dog and she would grin up at me like " we sure fooled them"

In our puppy class Chaos learned to heel off leash before learning it on leash. I also used a clicker the evening we went outdoors ( it was an indoor class) to practice heeling on lead and flat buckle collar she was the only one that really stayed at a heel without any tugging. I would click her when she was in the right position and walking nice and then reward her so she stayed right at my side the rest of the class were maniacs! We still do a lot of off leash heeling just for practice at the dog park with all the distractions and at agility also a ton of distractions.

For a dog that pulls a lot you need to make the dog learn to watch you and pay attention to you so with a flat collar walk the dog when it pulls there are several things you can do ( and sorry but it will be slow at first and you may not get too far if time is limited) 1) when it pulls you just stop moving and you do not move again until the dog comes back near you so the leash is slack, first few times it may just stand there and it may take some time but do not call let it decide to come back on its own and to speed up the learning you can reward it though with some just getting the walk going again is enough reward. #2) as you walk just suddenly without saying a word change direction and when the dog hits the end of the leash and realizes you have changed direction it will come and played enough times a dog will start keeping an eye on you and should stop pulling. My sisters two are pullers so when I visit and walk them I play these two games with them even if I am walking both together and within a few minutes they are walking on slack leashes and keeping an eye on me. Some dogs catch on fast some are slow learners but no special equipment is needed just a flat collar and leash. You can have fun with it as I believe dogs learn more when they too are having fun so have some fun with training and make it a game.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,471,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I walked Jazz on a gentle leader ( head harness) not because she pulled but because she did not like other dogs in her face and being we forever ran into loose dogs that got in her face it gave me control of her head. I do know that guide dogs for the blind here in CA uses head halters on its puppies so that is what the puppy raisers walk them with . I think Jazz liked hers as back then everyone thought it was a muzzle and that she must be a mean dog so even if she had a ball in her mouth which was common as we walked I got the muzzle comment and also a lot of people looking at her and crossing the street so as not to pass the " mean" dog and she would grin up at me like " we sure fooled them"

In our puppy class Chaos learned to heel off leash before learning it on leash. I also used a clicker the evening we went outdoors ( it was an indoor class) to practice heeling on lead and flat buckle collar she was the only one that really stayed at a heel without any tugging. I would click her when she was in the right position and walking nice and then reward her so she stayed right at my side the rest of the class were maniacs! We still do a lot of off leash heeling just for practice at the dog park with all the distractions and at agility also a ton of distractions.

For a dog that pulls a lot you need to make the dog learn to watch you and pay attention to you so with a flat collar walk the dog when it pulls there are several things you can do ( and sorry but it will be slow at first and you may not get too far if time is limited) 1) when it pulls you just stop moving and you do not move again until the dog comes back near you so the leash is slack, first few times it may just stand there and it may take some time but do not call let it decide to come back on its own and to speed up the learning you can reward it though with some just getting the walk going again is enough reward. #2) as you walk just suddenly without saying a word change direction and when the dog hits the end of the leash and realizes you have changed direction it will come and played enough times a dog will start keeping an eye on you and should stop pulling. My sisters two are pullers so when I visit and walk them I play these two games with them even if I am walking both together and within a few minutes they are walking on slack leashes and keeping an eye on me. Some dogs catch on fast some are slow learners but no special equipment is needed just a flat collar and leash. You can have fun with it as I believe dogs learn more when they too are having fun so have some fun with training and make it a game.
Great advice. I can't want to start practicing the walking on the leash tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,764,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

This is great advice. For my Jax, when he would pull, I would just stop on the sidewalk and wait till he laid down and relaxed. Then we would start walking again. After about a week, he got it and would watch me while we walked. He's not perfect yet but so much better then he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs