Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a new puppy this coming Thanksgiving weekend, and I would like some advice on which large breed of dog I should consider.

First, a little about the dogs I previously owned. I had a yellow lab/whippet mix I rescued when she was 1 year old named Sandy. When she turned 8 years old I got a black lab/golden retriever mix 8 week old puppy from the pound that I named Shasta. Sandy and Shasta got along well until I had to put Sandy down at age 14 when her kidneys and liver failed. Shasta got along okay for 3 years without Sandy in her life, but she wasn't as active as she used to be. So when Shasta turned 9 years old I got an Alaskan husky/golden lab mix 8 week old puppy that I named Blizzard. Within two months I noticed Shasta was more active and happier than she had been. This past July I had to put Shasta down at age 13 when several large tumors developed and prevented her from walking or standing up. Blizzard (now 4 years old) is not taking Shasta's departure well, she appears depressed and sullen.

I live alone, with Blizzard, and have to leave her alone in the house (with access to an outside kennel) for up to 10 hours per day. She has free roam of the house and garage, and there is a doggie-door I cut into the heated garage wall that leads to a large outside kennel and the backyard. I have a one acre yard for her to play in, lots of toys, and we go on walks together every day when I get home (which she loves). I also take my dogs camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting with me for our mutual enjoyment.

Normally, I would wait until Blizzard got a little older before getting another puppy for two reasons: 1) The puppy definitely helps keep the older dog more active and healthy; and 2) Because of the age difference I won't be putting both dogs down within the same year or two. I'll always have one dog I can come home to, and that makes having to put down a very close friend a little more bearable.

I'm not picky about a breed, except that I do want a large dog (80+ pounds), and I live in Alaska so the dog should have a good coat of fur to be more comfortable in the winter. To prevent problems with Blizzard (a very aggressive female) I think it would be wise to get a male puppy this time.

Here is my dilemma: Alaskan huskies have a lifespan between 13 and 15 years, but the majority of the larger breed dogs only live 10 to 12 years. It would really be depressing to have to put down both dogs within a year or two of each other. More than I think I'm willing to tolerate.

Which large dog breed should I be looking to get?

Last edited by Glitch; 10-10-2007 at 02:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Maybe you could go to the animal shelter and get the one you fall in love with. They will all want to go home with you. That would be my first choice. The big dogs have a hard time getting adopted because of their size but that wouldn't be a problem for you.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
I'm a little biased (okay I'm a lot biased) but I've had dogs all my life (many different breeds) and find that Labs are the best all around pooches.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/IMG_0006.jpg (broken link)

You see Labs can deal with the cold!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
Me and my husband have a German Sheperd. She is a big girl ( close to 90 lbs. ). When we adopted Hef ( he was a year old ) she loved him from the beginning. And she gets along wonderfully with all other dogs and puppies. Just take one thing in consideration if you want to get German Sheperd. Sometimes they have problems with their hips and their joints ( that is what our vet told us ). Other than that, they are WONDERFUL dogs...Good Luck!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM

98 posts, read 454,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe you could go to the animal shelter and get the one you fall in love with. They will all want to go home with you. That would be my first choice. The big dogs have a hard time getting adopted because of their size but that wouldn't be a problem for you.
I have to agree. Most shelters are loaded with large shepherd/lab mix dogs. The big ones like you want, the ones with lots of hair like you want, are the hardest to place. Plus, you get the best of many breeds and usually a very hardy pup!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Go to shelter and see if find a newfoundland or st bernard or something like that.Large and playful and able to withstand cold well. Check petfinder also for the large breeds and uaully a dark haired dog is hardest to place so look that way also.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

i'm biased because i'm owned by a malamute/shepard and an akita/malamute both well over 80lbs. my "little" girl Jazzy (b&w akita mix) is 85lbs and my "little" boy parker (tan&white mal mix) is 110lbs. i adoped jazzy when parker was 3 years old (jazzy was 1) and it's worked out GREAT! i second you should look at your local animal shelter and definitely consider getting a male if your female is more aggressive towards other females. 4 years old is not too young to bring another dog into the mix. I took this picture last winter of parker
Attached Thumbnails
Large Dog Breed Advice-stop-bothering-me.jpg  

Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Thumbs up Good Advice

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I do prefer rescuing a puppy from the pound/animal shelter than buying one from a breeder with so many of them being put down because nobody wants them. I also know that larger breeds tend to have hip dysplasia as they get older. Shasta weighed in at 100+ pounds and had that problem beginning at age 10. I also like the demeanor of labs or lab mixes (Blizzard is, and Shasta and Sandy were, lab mixes), however, they tend to be a bit smaller than what I'm currently looking for. You see, I'm a big guy (6'-7") and I want a dog that is taller than knee-height.

A newfoundland, tibetan mastiff, or st. bernard would certainly be the perfect size for me, but you rarely find such breeds at the pound/animal shelter. But who knows? Anything is possible. I'll begin frequenting the pound/animal shelters in my area.

I'm still very concerned about having to put both dogs down around the same time, it was difficult enough just putting one dog down even when I had another dog at home. It has been three months since I had to put Shasta down and I still miss her terribly, but I suppose that can't be helped. Blizzard needs companionship now, and it is unfair to make her wait and suffer because of the emotional trauma it will cause me a decade or so from now.

Thanks again for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Parker is a beautiful dog surfingatwork, thanks for the photo.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
parker thanks you for the compliment and yes he knows it. FYI, when parker stands on his hind legs he is taller than my husband (granted he's not a tall guy 5'5" but how many dogs do you know are taller than that on their hind legs). I don't know where you are in alaska but check out this shelter (if it's near you). Loving Companions Animal Rescue

I post on another message board about huskies and back in May one of the posters (who ran her own rescue - mostly unwanted sled dogs, Long Haul Kennels) suddenly passed away (very tragic) and this rescue took in all her dogs.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I do prefer rescuing a puppy from the pound/animal shelter than buying one from a breeder with so many of them being put down because nobody wants them.
I support you hundered percent about adoption. I'll adopt dogs for the rest of my life...Although, if you want "breed specific" dog you have certain for example German Sheperd Rescues where you can adopt a dog from there. But I LOVE mutts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs