Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times

Advertisements

Large breed or Giant? One of our dogs is a Newfoundland and she is precious...so sweet and gentle, but she thinks she is the size of a Chihuahua!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 16,177 times
I agree with Yellowsnow, go to the spca or where ever and you'll find the right one. Picking out a breed ahead, though fun, will just lead to high expectations and may let you down. If you are dead set on picking out the perfect breed, figure out the characteristics you want in a dog and then look at their profiles. Do you want them to be smart, ubber friendly, tough, etc? You already have an idea of what sort of dog you would like big and furry so start there. I prefer mutts (i think they are supposed to live longer?) and they seem a little more healthier overall. I like German Shepherds. My old roommate had a German Shep/ Husky Mix... great pup; very trainable, but needed tons of attention(though Blizzard could help with that). She is a cow at 1 1/2 years- not huge but very furry and pretty heavy. I'm sure a boy mix would be heavier and bigger though. I currently have a German Shep/ Irish Setter mix and she's a great companion.. very very cuddly. She is 8 mos. and weighs 40 lbs( i think shes a runt though). She should be tall, skinny, and hairy. I'd recommend either of them!

Good luck!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v341/127/83/15719760/n15719760_36148295_9670.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 PM

543 posts, read 2,311,711 times
I love a malamute mix or shepherd mix. We've had both. The malamute mix was 14 yr old when we had to have him put down due to hip problems. Jake, our shepherd mix is now 11 and thinks he is still a puppy. I do keep him on Nutro food with glucosamine in it as I have noticed he is moving a little different now since he has gotten older.We also have a Jack Russel Terrorist, but he couldn't take an Alaskan winter, he can barely tolerate ours.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,330,024 times
I like big dogs, the bigger the better. I don’t see very well anymore, so i want something big enough that if I accidentally step on it in the middle of the night, it’s going to grunt instead of crunch - or big enough for me to trip over rather than break it. When I was still in AK, we had Sibes, Mal crosses, lots of lab crosses - the biggest by far was a lab/bernese, he was solid muscle and weighed about 130 lbs - several borzoi, an Irish wolfhound, and some neighbors had several Scottish deerhounds. I always thought they looked rather fragile, though. The one I have we brought down from AK is mostly lab/newfie, and weighs around 80 lbs. She has long hair and looks like a giant economy sized cocker spaniel.

The odd thing is that most of them far outlived their breed’s life expectancy. One of the borzoi I had to pts at 10 years because he attacked a jogger, another one had a heart attack at 14 years, running deer [big no-no, but what a way for a dog to go]. The Sibes generally lived to be around 16 or so, the IW I had to pts at 16 because he started failing physically; that one was a real heart-breaker, because he was just as sweet as ever, but so embarrassed because he couldn’t control his bowels and bladder any more. The other one we brought down from AK was a miniature poodle, the smallest dog I’ve ever had, and she had a story of her own. But she lived to the ripe old age of 23 before she just didn’t wake up one morning after a series of minor strokes over a period of months. She was healthy and loving, and even though she eventually was blind and deaf, she got around just fine following her nose, and always seemed to look forward to each new day’s adventures.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Large breed or Giant? One of our dogs is a Newfoundland and she is precious...so sweet and gentle, but she thinks she is the size of a Chihuahua!
We too have a Newfie. He's only a puppy, but is already larger than our two labs. He too is so gentle and calm. Aside from the drooling, he's perfect!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
I'd avoid GSD, rottweiler, dobie, pitbulls, etc. They are high work drive dogs that are difficult for people who've never had that type of dog before. Don't get me wrong; there are plenty out there that would probably be ok for you, but you're more likely to wind up with a handful of a dog if you choose one of those types of breeds.

I'd say go for a more laid back large breed dog like a lab / Golden, St Bernard, Old English Sheepdog, Newfoundland, or Great Pyrenees. The last ones (excluding the lab/golden) have heavier coats which would be a bonus in your area as well.

ETA:

Just went to Petfinder and found:

Carter, a Huskie / Border Collie mix at Alaska Dog and Puppy rescue in Wasilla
Tasha, a Kuvasz (I know nothing about that breed) at Anchorage Animal Care and Control
Niles, a Great Pyrenees (I had a GP rescue once for about a month - awesome dogs, temperment wise) at Kenai Animal Shelter
Saudi, a Great Dane / Yellow Lab mix at Homer Animal Shelter
Ben, a Newfie at Heart Fur Animals in Delta Junction
Boo Bear, an Akita (these can be termpermental, so spend plenty time with it before choosing one), also at Heart Fur Animals
Bear, a Newfie GSD mix (this dog is GORGEOUS!!) at Queen Charlotte Islands SPCA

I tried to stick to larger breeds of dogs as well as those with thicker coats as you mentioned they would spend some time in the garage and outdoors. But there are tons of them listed with shorter coats too. Lots and lots of labs. If you have any heat in the garage a shorter haired breed would be ok.

I think the others are pretty far away, but at least that's a start. I'm a big adoption vs purchase supporter......

Last edited by mrs1885; 11-10-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,309 times
Default newfoundlands

Hey does anyone have a newfoundland dog. I am looking for one now.
I have been researching this breed and I realize they are huge and slobber alot. Also, they may have health problems due to they pure size.
I realize this and still have decided to get one.
My problem is I can't find a breeder. I have been looking at 6 different breeders from California to Mass.
I will pay more and travel anywhere to get the best dog I can.
Does anyone know of a breeder who has good quality Newfoundlands.
Or any advise for me on how to know you have found a reputable breeder.
Julie

Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABRAUN View Post
Hey does anyone have a newfoundland dog. I am looking for one now.
I have been researching this breed and I realize they are huge and slobber alot. Also, they may have health problems due to they pure size.
I realize this and still have decided to get one.
My problem is I can't find a breeder. I have been looking at 6 different breeders from California to Mass.
I will pay more and travel anywhere to get the best dog I can.
Does anyone know of a breeder who has good quality Newfoundlands.
Or any advise for me on how to know you have found a reputable breeder.
Julie
Search the forums for "newfie" and "newfoundland". Also you should read this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-breeders.html.

Please remember that this forum is not the place to discuss the pros and cons of specific breeders by name. Doing so opens the way for advertising and consumer complaints, which are not permitted. Any such recommendations should be done by DM.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
You have to be careful with labs. There are show labs and field labs. The show labs are heavier and calmer the field labs are lean and "wide open" and would put many other working breeds to shame with their energy. Plus labs have a way of eating EVERYTHING.

There are also Goldens bred for work, but not many. One problem the Goldens have faced recently due to intense show breeding is agressive tendencies so you have to be careful there. Do your research.

Newfies can have very poor heat tolderance. They were bred to swim in frigid waters.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM

518 posts, read 2,062,154 times
I have a yellow lab/germ shep mix, she's 2 1/2 years old. She's scared of loud noises, she gets startled very easily. She's 76 pounds (overweight, needs to lose about 10#), she has these cute wrinkles on her forehead that are just adorable. We also have another mix breed dog, who is 7, weighs 48# (overweight as well by about 8#) have no idea what she except her mom was part rotti, never would believe that, but we saw pictures of the mom w/ the litter. She is short like a corgi and hair like a chow, thick through the chest area, super smart dog, runt of the litter. I love big dogs, I've seen some BullMastiffs that are just beautiful, these dogs are huge though, but they are the neatest dogs. They would be costly to feed. I'am going to start both of my dogs on Glucosimine/Chrond tablets. Trader Joe's has a chewable for $10/100 tablets. The 7 year old one because she is getting older, and the 2 1/2 year old because she is large.

I've experienced with labs - they love to chew....anything. Boxers and Goldens...tumors love them. Hip problems are just common in larger breed dogs.....the reason for giving mine gluco/chrond. Mutts I think are truly the best. Would love to see if a study has been done (I'm sure it has) to see the lifespan of breeds of dogs. Mutts would be hard to do, it would have to be done by sml, med, lrg breeds. But it would be neat to see something like that.

German Shephards are working dogs, they thrive on it. Mine is very alert, she sits out back and seems to always be scanning, she'll get up and roam. Looking/smelling for anything. Loves to please us.

Love the big dogs especially ones that think they're little dogs and sit on the lap....that's what mine does, sure keeps me warm in the winter.

Last edited by aquastone; 02-15-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs