Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times

Advertisements

I know there were a couple of threads on dogs who had been ill (diarrhea and puking) in September - and Avoderm was mentioned. It's a dog food I've always liked and my dogs would eat in a pinch if I couldn't do raw.

I was in Petsmart today and overheard a convo between the sales clerk and a patron - Avoderm was recalled for possible salmonella contamination, specifically the lamb and brown rice. Supposedly the plant was shut down for a while; although they have resumed shipments, it may be a while before retailers have a good supply.

I looked it up - true, true, although there was NOTHING posted on the shelf to indicate there had been a recall, which I consider bad form for Breeder's Choice and Petsmart. Just my personal opinion, free as usual

Anyone affected can contact Avoderm through their website:

AvoDerm® Premium Foods for Dogs and Cats

Sorry this is a month late getting out, but if anyone has any bags stored they might want to check the dates listed on the website and compare them to their bags at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I know that Fontucky feeds Avoderm to Nanners. I'm going to shoot him a message.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Thank you for the DM, Dawn. This explains why the lamb meal & brown rice wasn't on the shelf when I went to buy food a couple weeks ago. I actually had switched her to another kibble for a few months due to the price increase in Avoderm LM&BR, so apparently I avoided the contaminated food. I bought the chicken meal and brown rice this time, and was pleased to see that it was cheaper than the lamb.

Nothing on the shelf at Pet Smart about any recall. For shame.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
I loooove Avoderm as well... just sad to hear another recall... is there any food that will NOT ever be recalled???
Seriously!

That is why I always use 4-5 different bags from different brands to minimize the problems... weather be it contaminated, or not enough nutrient or just plain "poison"...

I would think eating 1/5 of the affected product at least will not give our love ones too bad a "poisoning" or be as severely "affected"...
you know like the drop of ink in a capful of water is darker (higher influenced) or that drop of in in a tubful of water "concept"...

One cannot BE "too careful" nowadays especially with however many foods or even that solo ingredient made from who knows where.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 AM

You can get dog food recall alerts by email through dogfoodadvisor.com, or follow them on Twitter. Probably worth the 30 seconds to sign up - seems almost every manufacturer has been affected at one time or another with some sort of recall. Makes you wonder about human food, too, but that's another subject altogether.

I guess I'm just surprised - I expect stuff like this to happen with the cheaper brands, but I expect more from so-called premium foods. And from Petsmart - Good grief, they have my email on file, have my buying habits somewhere in their cybercloud, and I'd just bought a bag of the beef for a neighbor. I wonder if I would have gotten notification if I'd bought the lamb and rice? I may have to call Avoderm and ask just exactly what the procedure is on stuff like this - I'm sorry, but they owe the consumer more and so does the retailer. Matter of fact, now that I'm on a roll, I may complain to Petsmart corporate as well....ugh. Don't get me started on corporations, I will never shut up.

Anyway, here's the link to sign up for recall notifications:

Get Critical Dog Food Recall Alerts by Email

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,807 times
Thank you for letting us know about the recall. No wonder I was unable to find Avoderm at PetSmart, thus looking online and found this info for the recall! I usually get the Avoderm indoor hair ball control dry cat food for my 2 Ragdolls. Now I am wondering if they were affected awhile back (couple of years ago)? Both of them had diarrhea so bad, I had to keep them in the bathroom for days so they didn't smear the runny mess all over the house. Because their long hair had messes stuck at their rear ends........What a BIG mess!!!!!!!!! Very disappointed at Avoderm!

Cat Lover

Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Apparently the beat goes on. I noticed today more products have been pulled. I don't feed it or I'd have noticed before now. This is inexcusable on the part of Proctor & Gamble. Seems these same lines have been the subject of multiple recalls, expanded recalls, etc for quite some time now.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
When did Avoderm become part of P&G?

I still feed her the stuff, as it agrees with her sensitive digestive system better than anything else I've tried. Pet Smart stopped carrying it. They replaced Avoderm and some other brands with their own label, so now I drive more miles and buy it at Petco.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM

I'm sorry, I went off topic and muddied the waters - P & G doesn't own Avoderm...it owns Iams, Eukanuba, Innova, Evo, California Natural, Karma, Healthwise and Mother Nature.

Avoderm is owned by Breeder's Choice, a division of Central Garden and Pet - same folks that own Nylabone. I got mixed up in my head with seeing all the recall signs so close together. Central Garden also owns Breeder's Choice, also recalled.

All that being said, Avoderm was recalled for salmonella - same reason the P & G products were recalled, and the P & G recall seems to go on and on. Avoderm started last September. That's a pretty long recall.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Yeah, the Natura recall now encompasses every dry dog and cat food under their banner. I'm still waiting for my $70 refund (which I don't expect to get, probably will get a coupon instead), when it was sent out for over a month ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs