Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with a dog with heart disease and going on a very long car trip, i.e., driving from NY to FL? I am wondering if it would be harmful to him to take him with me in the car instead of boarding him with the petsitter. I am very nervous about leaving him even though it's just for 5 days. I am wondering if the long car trip would do him more harm than being left with a sitter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF he enjoys car rides then take him! Much less stress than being with others!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
I agree with Katie. I would add one other thing. Make sure you keep the dog cool and out of direct sunlight on the trip.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 AM

70 posts, read 209,683 times
Being with strangers may be more harmful!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Well, he knows this petsitter and he knows her dogs. Does anyone think the ride in the car would be grueling for him, in the end? If he stayed with the petsitter, he could just hang out with her in the apartment, but I feel very upset about leaving him nonetheless. He is fragile. I feel I never want to be separated from him again! He last went into heart failure in Nov. 2010 and I work really hard to keep him on track and he has not gone into heart failure since. I would love to have him with me, but my parents' condo does not allow pets, and this is another obstacle--having to stay in a motel. but again, I'd be with him. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
No! & I think with all the information it really comes down to You! Sounds like he will be fine either way. And IF hes going to be in a Hotel while you visit .... Leave him home!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
You might want to talk this over with your vet, since s/he would know better than us how his condition would be affected. I know it would be really hard to leave a sick pet with others. If you do take him, make sure he gets plenty of breaks, fresh air, and water, and doesn't get overheated. Those would be my worries. Dogs never seem to want to drink much water on car trips, in my experience, even though they tend to pant, and you don't want him to get dehydrated. If you have this problem, and he likes ice maybe ice cubes would help.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Once again, I agree with Katie1 and her latest post.

I will add, only you know your dog and I believe you already know the answer. I say this with the greatest of heart, when I say, I think you already know what would be best for him.

In any event, do take him to the vet before you leave, to confirm his health, as subject2change recommended.

Best to you,

second right

Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks everyone. Subject2change makes a good point too, that dogs don't drink enough when in a car. My dog doesn't drink on outings and I have to syringe water into him. I guess he's too distracted. So he could actually dehydrate going down there. if this were winter, it'd be a different story. I keep thinking about the time down there, but there's also the 24 hrs. of driving. If he were home resting with the petsitter, he would not dehydrate. I probably should leave him home. This is definitely harder for me than it is for him, I'm sure. I still wish there were some way. He cannot fly either.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
With all the information that's been presented -- especially that he knows the petsitter and her dogs (and presumably likes them all) -- I'd be inclined to leave him at home. I know how hard that is. I hate leaving my dog. And if my dog were ill, I'd feel even worse. I understand that. But putting your dog first in this equation -- health, long car ride, hotel when there -- I'd say that leaving him with the petsitter is the better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs