Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this here as I assume everyone has dogs . As most of you all know, dogs are not kind to grassy back yards, especially if you have 3 like me. I want to do something so it doesn't turn in to a dirt pit like our last yard. I'm sick of the dogs being covered in dirt from playing in it and the yard itself not looking good. I'm thinking of pavers and pebbles or mulch?? I'm curious as to what others have done to their backyards so they look somewhat nice but also aren't destroyed by dogs?? Also, I don't know how expensive it is to have this done or how hard to do by myself. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
How big of yard are you talking? 5 dogs in a tiny yard yet I had grass to mow! No mud! I did have to go pick up at least 1 time a day. Yard was 8 X 10 IF that! BTW I would not use Mulch! Nasty smelly & some is Toxic to animals!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I have some bushes with mulch in my back yard. We put them in because that area of the yard was just a big dirt pit and it was ugly when it rained. My dog likes to pull up the bushes and scatter the mulch when she's out in the back yard alone. She also likes to randomly dig holes, not just in the mulch but all over the yard. Eventually the bushes will take root well enough that she can't pull them up, and will grow big enough to give some shade in the yard...I just have to keep her away from them until then. We covered about 40 square feet and it took six bags of mulch. We had to add soil under the mulch, and then put concrete edgers there so it wouldn't wash away when it rained. We spent $100 on the project...$60 of that was the bushes though.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times
It's not a huge yard, but big enough for them to run around. I have 3 huskies who love to run and dig. So they don't usually destroy the whole yard, just where they make a path with their running and playing. Then they can dig huge holes in the matter of minutes. Then I get the brown spots from the urine, so I'm looking for a way to cut back on the grass in the back yard. It seems they run out the door the same way every time so the grass dies there and when they rough house, which they do often, the grass dies there. So if no mulch then maybe some sort of pea gravel? Just looking for ideas, thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I used pea gravel in my kennel for yrs. Was great & easy to clean. Kept the dogs clean also.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
You might ask over in the garden forum, they could have some really good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs