Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,880 times

Advertisements

I run a rescue here in Orlando. We pulled a pregnant, emaciated, and unvaccinated beagle/shep mix out of our local animal services for rescue. She gave birth the night we pulled her. Our normal rescue housing was full so I brought her and her 8 pups home the next day.

She was a good mama. Everything was going smoothly for 3 - 4 days. Then the runt died (faded). Expected. After that, mama started showing signs of extreme mucous...followed by explosive diarrhea. Then the vomiting. She stopped eating at 5 days. She dried up. I was giving her fluids every night, offering her all sorts of goodies to eat....not improving. Had her on Clavamox...still nothing. I hospitalized her at day 6. She died one week later, still not eating. At the end of her days she had very bloody diarrhea and bloody vomitus.

Fast forward 5 weeks. All pups were sniffly at one point, lasted maybe 2 or 3 days, then no symptoms. They were on Clavamox for a week, then an anti-viral. About a week ago the weakest of the bunch died after the feeding. I saw him 10 minutes prior, he was totally fine. Then the next day I actually got to witness start to finish the death of the next pup. He appeared to have a heart attack...labored breathing, I gave him a couple of breaths, he seemed to come out of it...then gone. Very quick. I had the vet check to see if they choked on food...they hadn't.

We originally thought that the parvo test we did on Miss Ruby (the mama) was a false negative. We thought it might have been tiger heart parvo. I had the 3rd pup opened up to check for the tell-tale signs on the heart...nope.

I got blood work on them, everything is in range. The vet thinks it's some kind of virus. I've always suspected distemper, but animal services and others I have spoke w/ said if it was distemper that the pups would have been dying much sooner than now.

Tonight another one died. They were running around, excited for their food....checked on them a few minutes later, the biggest and healthiest of the group was gone.

Mama had 4 different vets look at her prior to her demise and no one could come up with anything definitive...distemper, parvo, erlichea. Any rescue friends out there have any experience with something similar to this? I don't feel like the pups are fading, I feel like they are dying of *something*. Vet thinks necropsy won't show anything definitive, especially if it's a virus, but I'm sending this pup out on Monday....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
This sounds similar to a case we had. A little of pups died acutely one by one, but we diagnosed it as myocarditis caused by parvo. I don't know if we actually saw anything on necropsy. My heart goes out to you. It's a horrible experience.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
it sounds like distemper, but your right, its odd its taken this long to take hold.
pneumonia often causes the snifflies and then a perk up before death (i sw tht happen in a chihuahua i was looking after, she wasnt doing geat then seemed to sudenly get better and was doing fine and that night she passed. parvo better fits mommas symptoms though

given her breed and being in florida (warm humid states have a higher prevalance) mabe canine lepto?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Very sorry for your experience and poor dogs. For the dead ones, do you save some blood? is it possible to send some blood samples to UF vet school to do an antibody/antigen profile to see what they may have been exposed to? UF vet school has an infectious disease and pathology department. I would call them to see whether they can lend a hand. At least need to find out why??? I think it can be a good student thesis or case report if they find something new. If they can find the casue, the information can help others.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-20-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs