Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 PM

3,766 posts, read 12,479,120 times

Advertisements

Well Miss Molly has discovered why she has webbed feet! After working with her for a couple of days she has decided that she LIKES swimming in the pool.

Once she got her front feet wet by stepping down onto the pool steps, it was just a matter of tossing her favorite toy just a little father out and out of her reach. A couple more cautious entries and she is now literally launching herself after that toy

Since I have created this water monster, we will be working on WHEN she is allowed to swim and also where the steps out of the pool are located. I have to make sure she understands where to go to get out.

I love this girl! Even more now that a daily swim will eliminate one walk per day. Now we will be down to only four!

A tired Chessie is a happy Chessie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,571,087 times
wahooo!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:10 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,541,002 times
Didn't you say none of your other dogs like the water? Maybe they'll see how much fun she's having and try it out! Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,244,102 times
I was worried about my dogs being able to find the stairs. I had nightmares about them swimming till they were all tired out because they couldn't get out of the pool. All that worry was for naught. They use the stairs and also climb out at the waterfall from the spa to the pool. They have never had a moments stress over getting out.

If I turn on the spa, chances are all 4 of us will be in it. They enjoy the warm water and bite at the bubbles. They sit on the bench just like we do.

I have 2 GSP's and they were used to the river at my old house. They had no problem adapting to the pool. When I first moved in, I had some work done and the pool was empty for a while. They had great fun in the empty pool too.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM

3,766 posts, read 12,479,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Didn't you say none of your other dogs like the water? Maybe they'll see how much fun she's having and try it out! Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.
LOL not a chance! Gator used to swim but at 14 he doesn't even get close to the pool. We are working with Kohla but he is afraid of the water so I'm taking it very slowly with him. Sammie, our hound, doesn't even want to go outside if its raining much less get actually covered in water Our Mariah that we lost in Feb was our swimmer.

Its good to have a swimming buddy again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I was worried about my dogs being able to find the stairs. I had nightmares about them swimming till they were all tired out because they couldn't get out of the pool. All that worry was for naught. They use the stairs and also climb out at the waterfall from the spa to the pool. They have never had a moments stress over getting out.

If I turn on the spa, chances are all 4 of us will be in it. They enjoy the warm water and bite at the bubbles. They sit on the bench just like we do.

I have 2 GSP's and they were used to the river at my old house. They had no problem adapting to the pool. When I first moved in, I had some work done and the pool was empty for a while. They had great fun in the empty pool too.
LOL - we are having a blast in the pool. Its killing her that she has to wait for me to "OK" before she can go in. She stands at the edge and just looks down at the water! I do have to be careful about her know where to get out. There really isn't any place except the steps to exit the pool. The coping around the sides angles "in" and "up" so even humans have trouble getting out at the edge

When DH gets home I'll see if I can get a few pictures of our new water dog. The camera isn't waterproof so a need to get the pictures from "afar".

Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,663,109 times
Glad to hear you have a swimmer! My Jazz and Dash learned where the steps in my parents pool were real quick and they would always swim to them to get out. Dash use love to lay on the top step when no one was out there with him, just cooling off. Dash did have the bad habit of rushing out the pet door and taking one last swim usually lasting a few laps when he knew I was about ready to load he and Jazz back in the car to head back home ( 120 miles)

Jazz actually learned to swim at a local lake because ducks were teasing her. she finally could take it no longer and waded in to get them and they swam far out so she followed.... after that first swim there was no stopping her .

Dazzle and Chaos are more swamp dogs that love the beach but I doubt would have done much swimming in the pool but splashing in the waves or laying where the waves break on you now there is a good time!

Years ago Phoenix, A friend and I took the 5 homozygous merle Aussie pups to Phoenix to a lady that helps run Amazing Aussies Rescue she and her husband always taught the deaf and or blind pups how to find the stairs in a pool because there are soooo many pools in Phoenix. To watch her own blind aussie go out jump in the pool then swim to the stairs and climb out was well...amazing!! ( not sure how she did it but she did)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs