Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM

8,100 posts, read 12,827,996 times

Advertisements

I have a sweet old beagle mix named "Buddy" . (S.O.B. - "sweet old Buddy").
Buddy is 19 years old and has heart problems, is blind in one eye and is hard of hearing. To sum it up he is a very, very old dog.

My question is about his "pacing episodes". He has been doing this every once in a while for the past three years. It isn't very often but from time to time he just starts walking around pacing back and forth . It doesn't seem like he is in pain, just seems like he is unsettled and needs to move.

I know he won't live forever and I am not going to try to extend his life with treatment, at this point it would only be for MY benefit. Everything dies and Buddy is no exception.

Is this a sign of pain or just maybe confusion or nervousness? I called him to me tonight and gave him a hug and talked calmly to him which seemed to stop.

What do you think? Is it a pain reaction or just nerves/confusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM

809 posts, read 2,190,494 times
Is your dog panting, does he get up from sleeping to pace..in other words, get up and down to pace? Does he seem aware while pacing?

Without knowing more, it sounds like he may be in pain during these episodes and can't get comfortable but that's a HUGE guess given the information you've provided.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's so upsetting to see it happen.

Is there anything else you can add?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 PM

He is VERY spry for an old dog- NEVER has a problem getting up or down, as a matter of fact he is still my "shadow" EVERY time I get up from the chair he follows me- bathroom, kitchen, wherever I go he follows. No panting.

He may be confused though. There are many times I will be sitting at the computer and Buddy will get up and walk around looking in rooms and then come back and act surprised at where I am sitting even though he was laying at my feet when he started looking for me. (he is blind in one eye though so it could be he didn't see me.) Lately he will scratch on the door to come in and if you open the door it seems as if he forgets he wanted to come in.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM

duplicate

Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
I wouldnt worry abut it. Sounds like he just wakes up but the brain is still asleep Takes a min or 2 to get orrentated. I do that if I wake during a sound sleep LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 PM

809 posts, read 2,190,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
He is VERY spry for an old dog- NEVER has a problem getting up or down, as a matter of fact he is still my "shadow" EVERY time I get up from the chair he follows me- bathroom, kitchen, wherever I go he follows. No panting.

He may be confused though. There are many times I will be sitting at the computer and Buddy will get up and walk around looking in rooms and then come back and act surprised at where I am sitting even though he was laying at my feet when he started looking for me. (he is blind in one eye though so it could be he didn't see me.) Lately he will scratch on the door to come in and if you open the door it seems as if he forgets he wanted to come in.
I had a 17 - 19 year old rescue poodle. She beat cancer but as time went on, she became blind in both eyes and deaf in both ears. Around the age of 12ish she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

I kept her on heart medication and when she seemed in pain gave her pain medication. She also, in the end had dementia but she was still happy and would have moments of puppy like behavior. She also was my shadow.

If I had to to it over again, I don't think I would change a thing. She let me know when she was ready to leave this life and move on.

Respectfully, I suggest you take her to the vet for a work up so you know what you are dealing with. I know it can be an expense so your alternative is to keep him comfortable, love on him and I believe he will let you know when it's time.

(((hugs)))

Second Right.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,127,234 times
You may want to take a look at this link about cognitive dysfunction...it can and usually does happen to senior dogs...much like Alzheimer's and/or dementia happens to us.

Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome in Dogs

I agree with you...keep your pet comfortable and enjoy the days you have left and I've always read about the rule of three...think of the three things your dog loves to do most...and if he/she's still doing them, they're not ready. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
You may want to take a look at this link about cognitive dysfunction...it can and usually does happen to senior dogs...much like Alzheimer's and/or dementia happens to us.

Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome in Dogs

I agree with you...keep your pet comfortable and enjoy the days you have left and I've always read about the rule of three...think of the three things your dog loves to do most...and if he/she's still doing them, they're not ready. Best of luck to you.
I think that is probably the problem and I will only put him down if he is in pain. Even if he starts pooping/peeing in the house it is not big deal to me (wood floors are a must with six dogs )

He is still doing all his normal things.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,605,784 times
It could be pain but I bet cognitive dysfunction is the issue as people with dementia tend to be restless and wander. The 16 yr old aussie that comes to the park sometimes just wanders and he knows me but if he happens upon me as he wanders he acts startled and then a few minutes later it kicks in" I know you you are the lady that throws my ball for me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs