Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM

960 posts, read 1,689,940 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my vet just called and said my MinPin needs to be drinking more water. I started giving her bottled water, which she likes much better than tap. According to the vet though, it's still not enough. So, I was wondering is there any flavoring or anything you could recommend that I can add to her water bowl that will make her drink it more?
All your suggestions are always appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
You could try adding some chicken or beef bouillon, (low sodium of course) to the water. In winter my one dog doesn't drink enough so I float his food; add enough water to kibble to make it slightly float.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 AM

Thank you cleosmom I definately will give that a shot.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Thank you cleosmom I definately will give that a shot.
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes, we don't want a dehydrated MinPin!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
My horses would not drink much so I added apple juice to thier water....

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Katie, but I don't think apple juice would be very good for my dog. She has seizures and is on a medication that can do liver damage. We have to have her blood tested about every 6-9 months to see how well her liver is working.
I did try adding a little touch of chicken bullion to her water. She did try the water with some big gulps. She drank pretty well today, so I'm hoping that it will continue.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,705,729 times
i would ask your vet if a low sodium can of broth, chicken, or beef would do the trick, or if you feed the dog dry add some into the food for the great smell. one last thought, when a person is sick they would give you the popcicle, maybe even do ice cube with the soup or if ok'd per the vet chicken broth. I just had a thought, check with the vet. boil some hamburg, and drain the grease, then get the rice in the package and boil this, keep the 2 in 2 diferent containers, warm in the microwave, and add water.

I was told when my dogs got sick it was low bland, and to feed them this, also, carrots cook, and steam, and save the water.
I never liked water either, but, tea etc., I got it. I do think dogs like the smell, any vegatable which they can eat, the water has
a plus. cranberry juice in ice cubes? even lots of what we eat has water. my thought it is the smell. you can eat the carrots, and add the water to the food. anyway carrots should also be good for dogs. or even the water as water to drink.

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-18-2007 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I was NOT suggesting you give your dog apple juice...Just find some thing she really likes & add it to her water. All animals go thru stages where they do not seem to drink much. & some bottled waters have salt in them. Read the lables, too.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times
Did the vet say anything about adding electrolytes to the water (I'm not suggesting it, just wondering if it was considered)?

If electrolytes would be safe for your Min Pin, then she may not have to drink as much quantity of water, I would think.

Something else you could try - after checking with your vet - is "Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother". It's made by Bragg's and you can find it in the healthfood store. I use it in my birds' water because one of them is susceptible to bacterial infections and this helps (I just give it to both birds since it's beneficial for them). It's supposed to make the water taste good and you only use a tiny amount of it. A lot of people take Apple Cider Vinegar for health (make sure it's the kind with "Mother").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs