Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I just had a discussion with the animal control officer about what constitutes "adequate shelter". The issue is that of a dog that I reported last week after hearing from someone and checking on it that is tied out for the day under a carport where it wraps its tie-out again and again - you know dogs that are tied out, until it can no longer reach its water. The officer claims "A carport can be adequate shelter in some conditions." Well, not if a storm comes up. This town and the state of Kansas are the worst I have ever seen when it comes to the welfare of animals. So, I did some checking on the internet and adequate shelter has to provide for weather conditions and this car port won't as it is free-standing and I am not sure what the situation is with the sun and how long it may provide shade especially with the dog tangling the tie-out. A neighbor talked with them and the owner described the dog as "stupid" because it gets tangled up! So, I'm going to have to argue the case of "adequate shelter" on a higher level. If the people had to be smarter than the dog in order to own it, there wouldn't be many dogs around here. It is not the dogs here that are "stupid".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
From the VA Consolidated Dog Laws.

In the state of Virginia:

"Adequate shelter” means provision of and access to shelter that is suitable for the species, age, condition, size, and type of each animal; provides adequate space for each animal; is safe and protects each animal from injury, rain, sleet, snow, hail, direct sunlight, the adverse effects of heat or cold, physical suffering, and impairment of health; is properly lighted; is properly cleaned; enables each animal to be clean and dry, except when detrimental to the species; and, for dogs and cats, provides a solid surface, resting platform, pad, floormat, or similar device that is large enough for the animal to lie on in a normal manner and can be maintained in a sanitary manner. Under this chapter, shelters whose wire, grid, or slat floors: (i) permit the animals' feet to pass through the openings; (ii) sag under the animals' weight; or (iii) otherwise do not protect the animals' feet or toes from injury are not adequate shelter.

In my home for the dogs and cat it means sleeping UNDER the covers on cold winter nights.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
By diffinition according to you local animal control what they have for the dog IS adequate! Nothing you going to do or say to the owners to change their mind. I wondering IF they want him to only be under the carport all the time or in the yard? IF they want him under the carport suggest the run a fence from pole to pole. If they dont want him under it suggest a fenced in area beside it. Dog not stupid they are for not teaching him how to untangle himself.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i would print out the definition of adequate shelter that you found AWE and go to the officeres higher ups if you have to. unless this car port has at least 2 sides its not going to proect agsint wind, driven rain or provide enough shade as the sun moves.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i would print out the definition of adequate shelter that you found AWE and go to the officeres higher ups if you have to. unless this car port has at least 2 sides its not going to proect agsint wind, driven rain or provide enough shade as the sun moves.
Yes, that is a good plan. I have been to his superiors before with a neighbor dog whose adequate shelter was under a tree and we had terrible storms that summer. I think a clear definition is going to have to be established in the city. As everyone knows, this is a major puppy mill area, SE KS. We have extreme issues with horses also here. It is like nothing I have ever seen.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Here's a link to the consolidated dog laws for KS:

Kansas Consolidated Dog Laws

Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks. I have called the supervisor concerning this since I found the dog in the same position again today. It won't be long before it is very hot here and with rain forecast and the wind, a carport isn't going to cut it. Seriously, these people are beyond belief. Sadly, many treat their children no better so Child Protective Services stays busy. I knew a lady years ago that worked animal abuse cases in another city and she said that in almost every case where the animal was being abused/neglected, what she saw of the children had to be reported.

I once saw a border collie tied to a tree with a big, thick rope like you tie boats to the dock. It was tied high on the tree and the dog could not even lay down its head what yet get to the water dish. Many people must have seen it. I had to throw a fit to get anything done. I'm considered a troublemaker. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Thank you for looking out for the welfare of those that do not have a voice. You may get called a trouble maker by some...but by others, you are a HERO.

We are the voice for children and animals...when no one else speaks up...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
I know what you're going through. I used to live on the east side of Indianapolis and it was like a different world. Everywhere I turned there was a mistreated animal. So many dogs living their lives on chains with nowhere near appropriate shelter. It was horrible to see it. It really ate at me to see so many animals in need and not being able to help them all. I did manage to rescue some but for others there was nothing I could do. I was a regular caller to Animal Control too and fortunately they did a pretty good job but the laws were so insufficient that often there wasn't much they could do.
You're right that often the kids are treated no better. One family down the street from me had three kids always wearing torn and too small clothes. Their house was full of junk and in miserable shape. The parents just sat around on the front steps drinking beer. One day the kids told me that they had just lost their kitten because the parents wouldn't feed it. Then they showed me their dog in the back yard. It was the worst thing I've ever seen. A little mixed breed dog tied to a dilapidated dog house so skinny that he looked like a skeleton with fur. He didn't even have water and when I brought him some he drank and drank. He was so thirsty. The sorry excuses for human beings who owned him claimed that they couldn't afford to feed him. They could afford beer though and water doesn't cost anything. Animal Control came and took the dog after I called them and unfortunately they put him down. I regret not trying to get him myself.

All you can do is soldier on and do what you can. Have you ever been in touch with Dogs Deserve Better? I bet they are really busy in your neck of the woods but they may be able to help you somehow. They have some very good informational information meant for owners that they can send out if you ask them. Sometimes they can even provide more hands on help to put up fences for chained dogs and provide dog houses. Maybe you could even join them to help the dogs in your area. Here is their website in case you're not familiar with them: Dogs Deserve Better Home Page: No Chained Dogs!

If you can talk to the dog's owner maybe you could suggest he put up a trolley for the dog so he won't keep getting himself tangled. Maybe even offer to help? Knowing these kind of dog owners they could give a rat's behind if the dog is suffering and they are certainly not willing to make any effort for their dog so sometimes helping them out is necessary to get anything done. Maybe also suggest to get the dog a dog house to put under the car port.

Thanks for caring.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info and ideas. I am continuing to work on it. I'm working the "chain of command" right now. I have two other neighbors who see it but they don't want to get involved, just complain to me although one neighbor did approach them about the situation and was told that the "dog was dumb to get tangled" which shows about how much they know about dogs. This is continuing problem that has to be addressed probably with the city commission to see if they can do something about the "definitions". If you drove around town, you would see a lot of conditions that you would not believe are tolerated. This situation has to address more than this one dog so that we don't have to go back and start from scratch of what is right and what is wrong. I try to do what I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs