Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times

Advertisements

I usually walk the dogs on leashes several times a day but recently I fell and broke a bone in my arm so this has been extremely difficult. DH is out of town so it is up to me to walk them early a.m and before bed but girls walk them after school.

I used to be able to just open the front door and stand on the porch while they did their business in the front yard for the bedtime outing but lately they have been looking back at me in my cast, giggling and then running down the street. They must sense my disability.

I finally decided to let them out but with their leashes attached and it works! They walk around the yard, do their business and I walk with them but they don't run away. this has made me extremely happy. I guess the weight of the leash makes them remember they aren't totally free but free enough to do what they need to do. I'm so glad I figured this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,477,957 times
I had to laugh when I read about their giggles! I had a dog that was the star of obedience class *applause, applause* IF and ONLY IF she had a leash attached to her. It did matter if anyone was holding that leash but when it was on she would hold a stay for hours, roll over or perform any party trick you would come up with. Without it, she was a dog possessed. I finally bought a very short leash to attach to her collar and she basically walked herself all over town!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I usually walk the dogs on leashes several times a day but recently I fell and broke a bone in my arm so this has been extremely difficult. DH is out of town so it is up to me to walk them early a.m and before bed but girls walk them after school.

I used to be able to just open the front door and stand on the porch while they did their business in the front yard for the bedtime outing but lately they have been looking back at me in my cast, giggling and then running down the street. They must sense my disability.

I finally decided to let them out but with their leashes attached and it works! They walk around the yard, do their business and I walk with them but they don't run away. this has made me extremely happy. I guess the weight of the leash makes them remember they aren't totally free but free enough to do what they need to do. I'm so glad I figured this out.
Funny story and AMAZING at the same time.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Wow...one of my biggest fears is Rip getting lose from me with his leash on.

I am afraid of him getting tangled and not being able to get home.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
I think it is like service dogs knowing when they are working by having the vest on, or police dogs wear a certain collar when they are working and yes they know the difference in the " work collar" and the just a dog collar. Our Agility team use to have the dogs wear vests with their names on them when we did demos and and it changed the way the dogs behaved most were much calmer then they would be at a competiton and then there was Dash. Get that vest on him and he became the comedian. He could run a clean course but with the vest on he became about entertaining the crowd and would make a very obvious mistake and as long as they laughed he repeated it and used me as his straight man.He loved to make the crowd laugh and that they did.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Wow...one of my biggest fears is Rip getting lose from me with his leash on.

I am afraid of him getting tangled and not being able to get home.
I can certainly understand. But they don't leave the yard and I am standing right there with them. Once Toby started down the driveway and I sternly called him and he came back to me. I don't think he would do it without the leash on him. I really don't have much choice right now as they can't go from 6 a.m. to 4 without a potty break at noon.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can certainly understand. But they don't leave the yard and I am standing right there with them. Once Toby started down the driveway and I sternly called him and he came back to me. I don't think he would do it without the leash on him. I really don't have much choice right now as they can't go from 6 a.m. to 4 without a potty break at noon.
Lol....we have followed Rip 15/20 miles.....he doesn't even slow up crossing roads.

The sheriff even helped by stopping traffic on M-61 until we got him.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Rip is not a good candidate for this method

Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 348,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
.... He could run a clean course but with the vest on he became about entertaining the crowd and would make a very obvious mistake and as long as they laughed he repeated it and used me as his straight man.He loved to make the crowd laugh and that they did.

This is too funny. What a character!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
When going from on leash healing to off leash healling we work down from th heavy leash the dog is use to to lighter & lighter leashe til its just string then a clip with a tap on it. Dont think the dogs are dumb but for some reason it seems to give the owners more control. Maybe for the dogs its a security blanket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs