Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,449,901 times

Advertisements

Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Dog Food

There's nothing definitive here yet, but it's something to be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,055,659 times
it mentions numerous sick or dead dogs, but doesn't say sick with what or dead from what..... just a symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting.... wonder how the link to the Kirkland food is being made??

I have fed my dogs the Kirkland food for a year now (canned and kibble).... A couple of months ago, my Costco switched the canned food from the chicken / rice and lamb / rice pate to chicken / vegetable and beef / vegetable chunks in gravy.... not really happy about the switch because it seems i go through it more quickly.....

i haven't seen any ill effects that i can attribute to the food, though.....

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,449,901 times
Yeah, I don't know why she didn't include a source. Just something to keep in mind. And if she updates the information, I'll put it here.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,055,659 times
thanks!

it would be interesting to know, too, if all of the Costco's have switched the canned food from the pate to the chunks....

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
thanks!

it would be interesting to know, too, if all of the Costco's have switched the canned food from the pate to the chunks....
As of last week, the Costco I go to (in Pocatello, ID) carried both.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,703,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
As of last week, the Costco I go to (in Pocatello, ID) carried both.
Costco may contract for 2 or 3 types of food under the same sounding and similar name. So if you grab a copy of their business catalog you may notice 3 canned pet foods, Chicken and rice, Chicken and rice and Chicken and rice. One may use a certain type of chicken chuck, the other pulled chicken and the third diced chcicken. You will also notice some are limited to cerain states while others may be available to all states.

based on location and stock, Costco may move a line that is not normally available in one area to that area as a test or in response to request or because they had a overrun, or because the normal items manufacturing line is down. However, in reading the labels, i don't think they are identical. Some contain more meat, others may contain more this or that. All those can have a impact on how a dog reacts to the food. So for those with a different styke of food, it coyld be many rasons and asking at the counter or through corportate affairs wil get you a reasonable answer such as "They couldn;t fill the order with the normal style sold so they backfilled it with the food normally sold in the NW areas"

warehouses where they see a partcular types of items being sold is likeley to see many other co or modified types showing up. There are sopme warehouses that still don;t carry the Natures Domain line, while some carry the bklue or red bags and some carry both blue and red. Noticed those stores that started carryingt he USA sourced treats at twice the cost of the foreign ones, Well if the higher priced ones sold better than the lower priced ones, the warehouse knows they can start stocking other higher cost/quality items and most likely will sell them. If they start stocking several types of the same food, that means your warehouse is known for shoppers who read labels, so they want to gve you options versus going elsewhere

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Costco may contract for 2 or 3 types of food under the same sounding and similar name. So if you grab a copy of their business catalog you may notice 3 canned pet foods, Chicken and rice, Chicken and rice and Chicken and rice. One may use a certain type of chicken chuck, the other pulled chicken and the third diced chcicken. You will also notice some are limited to cerain states while others may be available to all states.

based on location and stock, Costco may move a line that is not normally available in one area to that area as a test or in response to request or because they had a overrun, or because the normal items manufacturing line is down. However, in reading the labels, i don't think they are identical. Some contain more meat, others may contain more this or that. All those can have a impact on how a dog reacts to the food. So for those with a different styke of food, it coyld be many rasons and asking at the counter or through corportate affairs wil get you a reasonable answer such as "They couldn;t fill the order with the normal style sold so they backfilled it with the food normally sold in the NW areas"

warehouses where they see a partcular types of items being sold is likeley to see many other co or modified types showing up. There are sopme warehouses that still don;t carry the Natures Domain line, while some carry the bklue or red bags and some carry both blue and red. Noticed those stores that started carryingt he USA sourced treats at twice the cost of the foreign ones, Well if the higher priced ones sold better than the lower priced ones, the warehouse knows they can start stocking other higher cost/quality items and most likely will sell them. If they start stocking several types of the same food, that means your warehouse is known for shoppers who read labels, so they want to gve you options versus going elsewhere
Interesting. Thanks for that info. My usual Costco always carries several varieties of Kirkland wet & dry food, plus both types of Nature's Domain. I've gone to the Bozeman, MT Costco a few times and wondered why those same choices were not available there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs