Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,125 times

Advertisements

She is really my neighbor's dog. She was trained to use a "puppy pad" and did so for most of her first 1 1/2 years. No one really took her out for walks very often so she did not get used to doing her 'business' outside - she did it inside on the puppy pad.

Then I started walking her and she could go outside (or inside ln the pad if she was stuck). I have been walking her for several years now. The family member who owned her moved away about a year ago and left the dog behind with the rest of the family. Around that time the dog stopped pooping on the pad and started doing it under the owner's bed. She was very droopy and sad and refused to eat. I tried to cheer the dog up by giving her some extra attention, including a daily walk in the afternoon (which she loves!).

She has become very attached to me. It is as if she transferred her affection from her original owner to me. I walk her and play with her almost every day. She will usually refuse to eat her food until I come over and urge her to eat. She sits by the door waiting for me to show up. She is very clingy and loves to just cuddle up next to someone touching them or sleep on their lap.

Now the owner has a baby who is one year old. The dog is jealous of the baby when it comes over to visit but had continued her bathroom habits as before. Over the past 3 weeks she has started to pee all over the house - even when she is standing right next to her "puppy pad". She continues to poop mostly under the bed and pee under the bed or all over the house (or outside when I walk her). She has not peed on the pad for those 3 weeks (nor pooped on it for a very long time).

It seems deliberate. How can we cure this? The pee is very 'oily' and it is ruining the wood floors.. Please HELP!

Last edited by 80cove; 02-21-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
I don't think dogs can purposefully do things to "get back." It's not in their makeup. Maybe the dog associates needing to go with your paying attention/taking a walk. Probably she needs to go on walks more often. She sounds like a needier-type dog who does not want to feel abandoned again.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,675 times
First, you need to see a vet. Urine isn't oily and if hers is, then something is wrong.

When she is diagnosed by the vet, things may clear up on their own...but start with the vet.

By the way, dogs are not like humans, they don't hold on to things. They don't have the mind set of "I'm going to get you back." Take is a human trait, not dog. She's not out to get you. She has a medical problem. Her urine should not be oily.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Why can't the dog come live with you?

She is attached to you. You give her the proper attention she needs for training.

I think she would do better living with you.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
She could have a urinary track infection. Take her to the vet for a checkup. Then move her into your house.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Vet... Asap!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,667,288 times
My wife does the same thing

Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 48,133 times
I would go to the vet also. And then I would encourage her to do her "business" outside. Give her a treat when she does it. When it's possible watch the dog in the house and when she starts to do her business than try to bring her outside as fast as possible and give her a treat when it works.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Urine will ruin your hardwood floors whether or not it is "oily," though I can't think why it would be oily in the first place.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,236 times
Hopefully by now your problem has been resolved, regardless i would like to say i do agree that the dog should come live with you. You seem to care enough to spend an adequate amount of time exersising and caring for her. Dogs need stability and consistency. When the owner moved away she probably felt abandoned, and every time they come over it's probably confusing for the dog. and sometimes once that behaviour starts it turns into habit and has to be retrained out of them. I would definitely have her looked at at the vet first, there are a lot of different medical problems that can cause this too. Dogs do act out! when i got a one year old husky from the SPCA my 7yr old Shepard/Husky stared peeing right in front of me. Discipline and ensuring she got lots of attention resolves that. Maybe coming to live with you, lots of exercise(dogs are happiest and better behaved when they are regularly exercised) and new consistant routines would help fix these issues. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs