Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Our dog is mini-schnauzer who is female, neutered, and about 8 yrs old. She is probably a little over weight but has big frame--is not a "mini" really...
The vet has always given her a clean bill of health as far as disease...but she has developed a strong fear of thunder storms in past couple of years that has gotten stronger...
IF the storm starts after we have gone to bed (and she sleeps on our bed), and there is thunder/lightening she will often wake up and start panting heavily....and takes her a while to calm down...sometimes we have to get up and go into a windowless room or take a tranquilizer...

Last night though she woke up and started panting heavily and there was NO storm...this is maybe the second time she has done this w/o any reason that we can think of...
My husband came to bed after I did and he said she might have been under the covers at some point but was not sure if she was overheated or not

Anyone have any suggestions for why she might be doing this?
I don't think she has done the same thing (heavy panting w/o reason) during the day...

We had another min schnauzer years ago who had heart problems and had to be put too sleep...
could this be sign of her having heart trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
I would take her to the vet for a complete senior exam including blood work. It could be that she was just hot but heart condition is possible and it would be better to either rule that out or find out and get her on medication.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
bad dreams?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I too have a dog with severe thunder phobia (and a Thundershirt didn't help her) and with her doggy hearing can detect a storm as much as an hour before I hear a thing.

I might just be that she was hearing far off thunder from a storm that didn't pass directly by your home. This is what has happened with my girl a few times. If I go to one of the weather sites on my computer and look at the radar I will see that there is a storm passing to the north and not a drop of rain falls here but she's detecting it.

I hope that's all it is, not something of a much more serious or long lasting nature.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM

We did have some rain storms in the general area but not really that close to us--
we only woke to drizzle...but that could be possibility--
she can be very attuned to factors preceeding storms--like barometric pressure changes--that oppressive nature that you can feel sometimes before a storm...that can make her cower/become scary vs just be quiet/resting...

I posted intially before she work up this AM and she seems fine now--was playing, acting normally this AM
My husband said he thought she just got too hot--was really crowding him in bed and probably had some of the covers on her...though she just had to cool off...

when our other dog showed signs of heart trouble he just started passing out while standing up--
and she is not doing anything like that

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times
I would say it was an anxiety attack. We had a wire fox terrier who developed night anxiety issues when she was 13. She was crate trained all her life and suddenly had anxiety issues and wouldn't sleep in the crate after the anxiety started. We had to drug her every night with Xanax.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM

that is sad--
Zanax is what our vet proscribed for our dog--
I would hate to have to do that very often

Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Our 11 yr old lab has arthritis and will pant in the middle of the night when he's in pain. If in doubt, take her to the vet for a health check.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Sounds like a panic attack.

In people, panic attacks can happen for a specific event (like the thunderstorm) and then start happening for no reason.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Do like my wife does, just say go to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs