Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a German shepherd once I buy my house. But right now I will be renting a townhouse out of state. I have seen on advertisement of properties "no aggressive breeds".
I have a Husky for 5 years before I moved out of my house. She stays with my Aunt until I relocate to a house because as you know, full grown Husky can't stay in apartments because they need lots of space and exercise. So I felt she would be better in a fenced in backyard which is where she spend 5 years.

Anyway, after I moved I received my yearly homeowner’s insurance disclosure. I have never report having a Husky to my insurance company because I never knew this policy existed. Again, higher premiums if you have "aggressive breeds" dogs. I had no clue what other dogs were considered aggressive breeds besides Pit bulls and Rottweiler’s. I looked up a list of the aggressive breed dogs. I was surprised to learn that they consider Dalmatians, Huskies and German Shepherds on that list.

I grow up with a Dalmatian. He was the friendliest and most patience dog ever. I grow up with 3 brothers. They would wrestle and play rough with him and he NEVER showed any aggression at all.
I also had my Husky for 5 years. She is the light of my kids. She is very quiet but has a lot of energy. All the kids in the neighborhood played with her and the parents had no concern whatsoever. I couldn’t believe they are considered aggressive. I even know friends and relatives that own huskies and they are the friendliest dogs ever. I have never heard of a husky attacking anyone. Even though I am sure there are isolated cases.
I really want a German shepherd. I’ve never had one but I believe they are also nice dogs and good around kids. Can I have other’s feedback on them? I have a poodle now and I think the dog will get along good with my kids and my poodle.

Now I know that dog’s temperament depend on the way they were raised. Moderator cut: not allowed
How much can homeowner’s insurance go up for having a German Shephard? Should I just consider another dog?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-26-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Look into insurance companies that aren't breed biased; there are plenty of them out there. I currently have 21 dogs in my house including 6 pitbulls. My problem child is a boxer / boston terrier mix.

There is no such thing as a dangerous or aggressive breed. There is however such a thing as an irresponsible owner who doesn't bother to train and socialize a pet making it more likely to be a biter for several different reasons.

Before choosing a dog, figure out what your lifestyle is like and then decide what breed of dog fits that. Dogs don't change their genetics to fit how you live so either you totally change your lifestyle or you find a dog that matches it. Then train and socialize it properly. In the meantime start looking into insurance companies that aren't breed biased and go with one of those. You'd be surprised at some breeds that are listed on some lists. Last I saw there were well over 40 breeds that had been stereo-typed as 'aggressive' breeds and some were small dogs too.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
+1 for mrs1885 post.

It all starts from the "household" ( breeder AND upraising). Genetics, health, temperment, training, discipline, and respect. As they say "There's no bad dog just bad people."

I need to be researching insurance companies as well, Great Danes are also considered "dangerous."

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
You should report any dogs to your home owners insurance to be safe. It may increase your premiums but it shouldn't be significant. Otherwise, you could run the risk of being denied coverage should any unforeseen incident happen.

I agree that insurance companies "breed descriptions" are inaccurate.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
there are insurance scompainies out there like mrs1885 says that are not breed iased, do your homework and support one of these companies...personally i think even if you dont own an "agressive breed" you should find an insurance comapny that doesnt have such ridiculous policies in place...if the companies that restrict breeds dont get any busiess theyd be forced to rethink their policies...
ive seen some insane ones, cocker spaniels, pugs, bostons, jack russels ect...i think they just pull these lists out of their tushes.
in other news more people are bitten on a daily basis by labs and cocker spaneiles than by "pitbulls" unforutnatly however "cocker spaniel bites child" doesnt quite catch the humans attentin as "pitbull mauled kindergartener..." most bites reported as "pitbull" bits dont even come from the american pitbull terrier.

you get the breed that best suits you, your home and what your looking fro in a dog...

the nice thing about the USA is there isnt only 1 insurance company, infact there are so many that you CAN shop around and you can tell the ones you dont agree with "no thanks"

i told 3 home owners insurance companies when looking into getting insurance for my new house that i wasnt interested because they charged people extra if they had a so called agressive breed and as a dog trainer i dont belive in such an outdated and missinformed attitude...
2 of the 3 whent so far as to say "well you dont one a restricted breed so what should it matter to you?!"

i refuse to support a company at this kind of level whos policies i dont agree with...if they dont like it...wlel they can get their head out of thier butts.
i have a friend who has rotties, her dogs have thier CGC's and 4 of her 5 rotts are certified therpay dogs with TDI...her homeowners inusrance refused to accept that these dogs were "safe" simply based on their breed and wanted to almost quadruple the cost of the policy, then they got all upset when she dropped them in favor of a company that doesnt base their rates on bred bias...

redsox, some companies it isnt a huge increase, others it can be (this frined it was to the tune of an additional $150 a quarter PER dog!) now that may not sound like alot (untill you have 5 dogs lol) but for many folks there barely making ends meet as it is, feding thier familie and trying to enjoy life, even an extra $25 a month can be enough to make things realy difficult.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i have had a homeowner's policy with State Farm for several years now.... they know i have dogs, but couldn't care less what breeds they are... never even asked me.... they just wanted to know if there was a bite history......

fwiw... none of mine are considered "agressive breeds" either .... but like Foxy, I will not patronize a company that practices such discrimination....

Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I want to buy a German shepherd once I buy my house. But right now I will be renting a townhouse out of state. I have seen on advertisement of properties "no aggressive breeds".
I have a Husky for 5 years before I moved out of my house. She stays with my Aunt until I relocate to a house because as you know, full grown Husky can't stay in apartments because they need lots of space and exercise. So I felt she would be better in a fenced in backyard which is where she spend 5 years.

Anyway, after I moved I received my yearly homeowner’s insurance disclosure. I have never report having a Husky to my insurance company because I never knew this policy existed. Again, higher premiums if you have "aggressive breeds" dogs. I had no clue what other dogs were considered aggressive breeds besides Pit bulls and Rottweiler’s. I looked up a list of the aggressive breed dogs. I was surprised to learn that they consider Dalmatians, Huskies and German Shepherds on that list.

I grow up with a Dalmatian. He was the friendliest and most patience dog ever. I grow up with 3 brothers. They would wrestle and play rough with him and he NEVER showed any aggression at all.
I also had my Husky for 5 years. She is the light of my kids. She is very quiet but has a lot of energy. All the kids in the neighborhood played with her and the parents had no concern whatsoever. I couldn’t believe they are considered aggressive. I even know friends and relatives that own huskies and they are the friendliest dogs ever. I have never heard of a husky attacking anyone. Even though I am sure there are isolated cases.
I really want a German shepherd. I’ve never had one but I believe they are also nice dogs and good around kids. Can I have other’s feedback on them? I have a poodle now and I think the dog will get along good with my kids and my poodle.

Now I know that dog’s temperament depend on the way they were raised. Moderator cut: not allowed
How much can homeowner’s insurance go up for having a German Shephard? Should I just consider another dog?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You will have to look at more than just insurance; also local laws. (Remember here, I am just the messenger, I don't make the rules).

Around here, (and it varies by town/city), they have rules in place for certain breeds (primarily 'pit bulls', or mixes deemed similar).

For example: http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_Documents/pitbull_ord_tcm3-3385.pdf (broken link)

Those are mild rules compared to the cities closer to me, where you have to carry a bond of $100K to have one.

I was offered a retired police dog German Shepherd by a K9 officer friend of mine (they retire the dogs at 6 years old). Neither my insurance company nor local animal control department cared. So it varies.
(He knew 26 voice commands in Czechoslovakian, but I turned the dog down as I felt it was like carrying a loaded handgun). I digress.

Anyway, just check local laws too.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You will have to look at more than just insurance; also local laws. (Remember here, I am just the messenger, I don't make the rules).

Around here, (and it varies by town/city), they have rules in place for certain breeds (primarily 'pit bulls', or mixes deemed similar).

For example: http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_D..._tcm3-3385.pdf

Those are mild rules compared to the cities closer to me, where you have to carry a bond of $100K to have one.

I was offered a retired police dog German Shepherd by a K9 officer friend of mine (they retire the dogs at 6 years old). Neither my insurance company nor local animal control department cared. So it varies.
(He knew 26 voice commands in Czechoslovakian, but I turned the dog down as I felt it was like carrying a loaded handgun). I digress.

Anyway, just check local laws too.

You just said you had the dog and he was your pet in the pet forum??????

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
i think that the german shepherd is one of the smartest breeds I have ever owned and would own one today if I had my own house /place . I know that they are especially good with small children and other family pets as well . I love german shepherds and always have and i do believe I will own one again my husband is crazy about boxers and sharpeis . well anyways i certainly do think you cannot go wrong with a german shepherd . good luck to you .

Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Love GS but you have to get one from a knowledgeable breeder.

Meanest bitey-est dogs ever: chihuahuas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs