Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM

302 posts, read 1,444,410 times

Advertisements

our male Yogi cried 2 nights then got used to the crate. our female cindy NEVER got used to the crate even tho we used it until she got older
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times
I don't care for crate training but that is just me and has nothing to do with whether it is good or not. When we got a new puppy we allowed her to sleep with us, and she was very secure and content with this.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I don't care for crate training but that is just me and has nothing to do with whether it is good or not. When we got a new puppy we allowed her to sleep with us, and she was very secure and content with this.
I guess that works. but dogs need to know they have their own space ...a crate.
....where do you keep puppy when you leave???

codys que for his crate is "go to bed"

Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM

570 posts, read 1,821,023 times
Quote:
I guess that works. but dogs need to know they have their own space ...a crate.
....where do you keep puppy when you leave???
I was thinking the same thing. And I would be worried that the puppy might have an "accident" on my bed. My trainer told me that puppies are only able to "hold it" for the age in month they are. For example if they are 3 months they can "hold it" for about 3 hrs. 4 months-4 hrs, etc. It may not apply to all puppies, I guess. I don't care for crate training either, but I think it is necessary if you don't want your floor, especially if it is carpeted, to become their potty when unattended.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM

67 posts, read 335,021 times
Thanks everyone for your great input! Last night was worse still. Puppy whine, barked, and tumbled around in her crate from 10pm t0 about 2:30am. At that time the crate was next to us in bed and it seemed like every time me moved or maade a noise, the puppy's whining intensified. At about 2:30am, my wife and I went to a guest room to sleep. The puppy whine for about 20 minutes and then stopped for the night. I've got a t-shirt from both my wife and I in the crate, a towel taht he sleeps on during the day, a toy, and I've placed a watch next to the crate that ticks. The puppy doesn't have a problem sleeping in the crate in the afternoon for an hour at a time with the door closed. I hope that if we just stick to a schedule, the puppy will get used to it. For those that asked, it's a black lab/pointer mix that we picked up from the spca over the weekend.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: oops...those typos get blanked out! Sam I Am

Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
sleon.....can you possibly sleep with the t.v. on? Puppy hears you roll over and wants to be with you.....I know it sounds hard, but maybe the crate needs to be in the laundry room or something? You can't go without sleep very long! Seems like if he can't hear you he settles down? Bless your heart - thanks for hanging with it!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times
my dog found that her own bed was a safe place after a while. It is in a closet that we keep open, so that would be like a crate, but for a long time she had our bed and she never wet it. But I know what you mean. We always had a pad on it anyway. Just that she was so scared after having taken her away from her mother that it helped her to sleep with us. Also, because we didn't have a crate we had to finally put plastic down on the floors and teach her to use puppy pads. She often missed. Crates may be far easier.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonar1 View Post
Thanks everyone for your great input! Last night was worse still. Puppy whine, barked, and tumbled around in her crate from 10pm t0 about 2:30am. At that time the crate was next to us in bed and it seemed like every time me moved or maade a noise, the puppy's whining intensified. At about 2:30am, my wife and I went to a guest room to sleep. The puppy whine for about 20 minutes and then stopped for the night. I've got a t-shirt from both my wife and I in the crate, a towel taht he sleeps on during the day, a toy, and I've placed a watch next to the crate that ticks. The puppy doesn't have a problem sleeping in the crate in the afternoon for an hour at a time with the door closed. I hope that if we just stick to a schedule, the puppy will get used to it. For those that asked, it's a black lab/pointer mix that we picked up from the spca over the weekend.
some people cover their cages w/ sheets and it helps to calm them down. This didn't and never works for Cody!!!
We wouldn't move or talk for the first few nights, so puppy wouldn't get upset. ...hey, mine barked for 8 hours the first night ....consider yourself lucky. Don't yell or scold the puppy, she will think you are barking w/ her

the schedule will work ...give it a week! ...yay for puppies!
sounds like a beautiful dog.
How old is the dog? ...ours was 6 months and we ended up having to work against previous abuse and insecurities.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonar1 View Post
Hello all, My wife and I just got a puppy two days ago. We're crate training and we keep the crate next to our bed. The first night was great. no whining and the puppy slept from 9pm until 6am and let us know he was ready to go. last night however was miserable. the puppy whined and barked for 25 minutes while in the crate. We put him in the bathroom next to us and used the crate to close the entrance off. My wife stayed up with him until he fell asleep but there were still moments of whining and crying. We want him to get used to the crate but we don't want him to be frightened of it. Should we just leave him in the create until he stops crying (if that happens) or do something else? Advice needed!!!!

Thanks
I know how that is! lol! We had to go through that with all three of ours.. Not fun! Destiny was the worst! She would cry and whine for hours and hours! For the first week she kept us up for 3 or 4 hours every night! At the end of the second week she was pretty much over it and she is fine now! Brooklyn whined for about the first 3 nights and that was it and Jayda whined for a night. They are all fine now and love their crates. I would strongly suggest that you just ignore her. Put a towel, blanket, t-shirt or something that has your scent on it in the crate with her so she doesn't feel alone and I think that having the crate by the bed is good. We have all three of the crates by our bed.. lol! It might also help if you give her a treat when you put her in her crate, that will help to show her that it's a good place. If you just ignore her she will eventually stop the whining and she will learn that her crate is a safe place. Good luck with everything!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I know how that is! lol! We had to go through that with all three of ours.. Not fun! Destiny was the worst! She would cry and whine for hours and hours! For the first week she kept us up for 3 or 4 hours every night! At the end of the second week she was pretty much over it and she is fine now! Brooklyn whined for about the first 3 nights and that was it and Jayda whined for a night. They are all fine now and love their crates. I would strongly suggest that you just ignore her. Put a towel, blanket, t-shirt or something that has your scent on it in the crate with her so she doesn't feel alone and I think that having the crate by the bed is good. We have all three of the crates by our bed.. lol! It might also help if you give her a treat when you put her in her crate, that will help to show her that it's a good place. If you just ignore her she will eventually stop the whining and she will learn that her crate is a safe place. Good luck with everything!

RIGHT ON!
I agree w/ everything you say. Depending on how it works, some dogs do better if you don't touch the crate when they bark.....ours needed to know we were there. Also, realize you just got puppy from puppy prison(shelter) so she's just reacting to past experiences and lack of sibs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs