Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,842 times

Advertisements

I was working today and as I was driving down a busy street I saw this little dachshund wandering in the road. I had 2 cars behind me so kept going and pulled over to turn around as soon as possible. Just as I got back to the dog another car pulled over and they caught the dog. She appears to be a very old dog. She has some fatty tumors and her coat, skin and teeth all seem to be in bad condition. I am going to put some ads on craigslist but I am very skeptical of some of the people off of craigslist. I will also take her to my vet and see if she is micro chipped. Right now I have her at my groomers because she can't be in my house stinking the way she does.
Hopefully she will get along with my Buddy (whippet) and my Lady Bug (mini dachshund). Buddy won't like her at first but will adjust fairly fast he is 10 and has seen his share of dogs in our family. I have no idea how my Bug will react. She seems to get along with other dogs ok but none have ever come into our house. Also I hope she is housebroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,653 times
Hopefully you will be able to locate the owner who may by crying at this very moment I'm also surprised that a groomer would take a dog that has no record of immunizations or even a rabies vaccine first!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,421 times
Given the condition of the dog (bad teeth, etc), I hope the owner is NOT found and that this dog can live out her remaining years either with you or someone who will take proper care of her. This include id tags and microchip.

Thanks for caring for her!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
call animal control and leave a description
of found dog, the owners may have called
looking for her.
bad teeth or not, she still might have
a right full owner.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Well I don't plan on keeping her I am hoping she has an owner who is missing her. And yeah my groomer wasn't thrilled about taking her but she did it anyway. We were guessing her to be over 10.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
thx for getting her off the streets and helping her, am sure she'll feel much better after being groomed etc. would get her scanned to see if she has a microchip and also would contact dachsund rescue in your area - they may not be in your immediate area but they may have foster homes who could take her or know of someone's whose dachsie went missing. would also hope that if the orig. owners show up, they'd pay for the grooming (save the receipt). she c/h wandered away from a careless petsitter or maybe her owners took her w/ them to visit someone for t'giving and she got out, anything is possible. am so glad you took her in, small low dogs like dachsunds can easily get hit by cars etc esp. if they're not car / street savvy. if someone does claim her, would ask for proof (pics etc). would prob. keep her confined to the kitchen (easy cleanup) just in case she's not reliably housetrained. kudo's to you for helping her, I would hope someone like you would be there to take mine in and keep them safe should they get loose.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM

The dog is doing well. She can't hear and i am pretty sure she is half blind as well. I bought her some softer food today because she seemed to have trouble eating the harder kibble my dogs eat. She goes potty outside and is the only dog to have ever slept on the pet bed I have. My dogs think they belong on the bed or couch. I do have to pick her up to let her out and in since she can't get up and down stairs. She seems to wander aimlessly in my back yard but she can't get out and doesn't seem to want out. We will keep looking for her owners and call everyone we can think of. Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Thank you for caring for this sad senior. It sounds like she might be near the end of the line. It's so kind of you.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,620 times
Please keep up your good work. Hopefully, your vigilance will pay off and you'll find the owner. Dogs that are missing teeth... not a biggie. They often do when they get to the senior phase; doesn't mean that they've been mistreated; humans loose teeth too (due to genetics, gum disease but not always from neglect).

Please keep the updates coming. Love a good read that makes feel like I'm in the same virtual community!

And thank you!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
Sounds like she's getting a lot of lovin' at your home Good luck in your search for her owner, if not, at least for a wonderful new owner! Thanks for taking care of her!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs