Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,920,123 times

Advertisements

So I'm thinking of adopting a lab from the local lab rescue, but am concerned that he/she won't have enough room to run around. For whatever reason, I just feel like it's bad to leave a dog inside all day during work hours (basically form 8-2PM, no one is at home). I can care for the dog, take it on walks, bring it to the local park, but I don't have a yard at my residence.

Is lack of yard proximate to my residence an issue, or will I be OK taking him/her on walks/the park to run around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,846,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I'm thinking of adopting a lab from the local lab rescue, but am concerned that he/she won't have enough room to run around. For whatever reason, I just feel like it's bad to leave a dog inside all day during work hours (basically form 8-2PM, no one is at home). I can care for the dog, take it on walks, bring it to the local park, but I don't have a yard at my residence.

Is lack of yard proximate to my residence an issue, or will I be OK taking him/her on walks/the park to run around?
There are going to be a lot of times when you want/need to just open the door to let the dog out to eliminate. If you have enough grass for that then you're probably going to be fine as long as you're committed to exercising yourself and the dog.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,131,087 times
Quote:

Many people don't have yards. Many people who HAVE yards don't have it fenced, so it's useless -- you can't just let your dog out in an unfenced yard.

If you've got two legs and are committed to walking your Lab a number of times per day, then you're good to go! And the bonding that comes with walking is immeasurable.

And, by the way, 8 - 2PM is great. Many people leave their dogs home alone until at least 5PM.

Go get yourself a Lab!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,920,123 times
The dogs I'm looking at are also no younger than 4, so they won't have puppy energy.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,487,599 times
I have 2 dogs. A 9 y.o. shepherd mix and a 15 lb. poodle/maltese mix. My shepherd still has the energy of a younger dog and would HATE to be inside for so many hours. I live in CA where nearly everyone has a fenced yard.

The little one on the other hand, prefers the indoors.

If I were you, I'd go for a smaller dog at this time. At the very least, do explain your situation to the lab rescue group so that they can match you with the best possible dog in this case.

Quote:
The dogs I'm looking at are also no younger than 4, so they won't have puppy energy.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,911,186 times
MANY MANY MANY dogs live happily without a yard to run free range in, and my personal thoughts and experience is dogs should NEVER be left alone outside anyway unelss they are a working breed whos job dictates it (ie a livestock guardian) things can be thrown over fences, dogs can climb/dig out, gats can be accenteally or othewise left open...

a fenced yard is simply a conveniece.

al you need to do is find the right dog for you and your family.

firstly ANY breed thats been housebroken and trained can be happily left alone for 6 hours, many dogs are left alone 8 hours a day with no issues...though you might want to consider crate training or a "puppy proofed" room for when your not there, the dog will sleep most of the time your gone

youll want to go with an older (over 2 yrs old) already housebroken dog to make the home alone aspect easier, a dog already crate trained is a great bonus (watch out for seperation anxiety)

in a morning go for a walk, when you get home go for a walk and play time , before bed go for a walk...
on the days your not working go to the dog park or buy a long line and get out to go play frisbie, ball, go hiking or jogging ect...
your dog will be more than happy as long as its getting enough physical and mental excersize and is with the person it loves when that person is around

now labs tend to be puppies untill 2 yrs old so id go with a 3-4 yr old ideally, and expect to spend some time at the park on weekends (labs typically enjoy swimming and its a great way to get some good excersize in)
most adult labs are pretty laid back, easy to train and can be quite frankly LAZY. lol, let the rescue know you will be excersizing on leash and let them match you with a good lab!
have fun and enjoy!

oh and beware of overfeeding (labs are chow hounds! lol)

Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,064,204 times
My dogs are inside all day until I get home from work without any problems, a lot longer than what you're saying. As stated above, as long as you are committed to getting them outside routinely I'd say go for it. I personally would never leave my dog outside by themselves, whether fenced or not. Too many crazy people, plus some dogs can get out (my neighbors previous dog used to climb the fence). You can always search for a petsitter too, to come for midday walks. Or maybe try fostering and see how that goes?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,470,339 times
Agree with Foxy. Plenty people in large cities living in apartments and condos with no yard at all and have very happy dogs.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM

17 posts, read 30,250 times
I think the dog will be better off with a caring owner with an apartment than no owner at a rescue. My brother has a Siberian Husky in a 1200 sq ft condo, and she is one of the happiest dog I've seen.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,131,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycokiri View Post
I think the dog will be better off with a caring owner with an apartment than no owner at a rescue. My brother has a Siberian Husky in a 1200 sq ft condo, and she is one of the happiest dog I've seen.
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs