Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,907,221 times

Advertisements

We have a brand new born grand daughter and a dog we have had for over a year. The dog is about 5 years old and we took it in as a stray and do not know its prior history. For some reason the dog acts funny when the baby is around. It runs around in circles and barks when I hold the baby. It will also try and jump up to get "in the picture" when myself or my wife holds the baby. Although the dog doesn't try to harm the baby, we have to shoo it off the couch because of sanitary issues with a new born and an exposed umbilical tie. The dog then gets mad and whines or runs in circles and barks. Is it possible the dog is upset or even jealous of the baby? If so, how long might it be until the dog gets used to the baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,607,485 times
I do think they can get jealous as my parents had a little aussie mix and two large dogs when my first nephew was born. My mom took care of the baby at her house druing the day so my brother and his wife could work. the little dog was very put out by this and despite her being a female began humping my mom's leg anytime she sat down with Kevin . I am sorry but that was 22 yrs ago so I do not recall how long that lasted but as the baby became more mobile and interactive the dog loved him. The big dogs never had an issue and took to the baby right away.The little dog was mom's baby and she did not enjoy being upstaged by a grandson! she started it again when Grandson two was born about 16 months later!!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM

272 posts, read 640,855 times
Yes dogs to get jealous over other animals & humans. One of the best things to do is get an article of the baby's clothing & leave it on the couch or a place it where the dog may encounter it, this allows
the dog to adjust to the baby'scent when she isn't around. You may have to give your dog some extra tlc as he is feeling insecure and no longer the center of attention. Give it time he will adjust. Perhaps you may look into a trainer for some basiccommands, just don't dump the dog just because you don't want to deal with it. Oh and be sure to teach the kid how to be gentle and handle your dog when they get older

Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,454,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Oh and be sure to teach the kid how to be gentle and handle your dog when they get older
This, and never leave a baby or young child unattended with any dog.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Yes dogs to get jealous over other animals & humans. One of the best things to do is get an article of the baby's clothing & leave it on the couch or a place it where the dog may encounter it, this allows
the dog to adjust to the baby'scent when she isn't around. You may have to give your dog some extra tlc as he is feeling insecure and no longer the center of attention. Give it time he will adjust. Perhaps you may look into a trainer for some basiccommands, just don't dump the dog just because you don't want to deal with it. Oh and be sure to teach the kid how to be gentle and handle your dog when they get older
No no no... NEVER would I dump the dog. The dog will just have to get used to it. The dog gets plenty of attention, love and walking as it is.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,060,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
No no no... NEVER would I dump the dog. The dog will just have to get used to it. The dog gets plenty of attention, love and walking as it is.

what a relief.... was a bit worried about the dog when i saw the thread title.....

Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,227,236 times
First, does your dog have a crate? If not, a dog bed? Would have been great if you could have done this while baby was still in the hospital but you can still try now:

Take a blanket with baby's scent on it and put it in crate or bed for a week or so.

Also:

Leash dog while you are holding baby. Give simple commands while walking around house (sit, down, stay, heel) and praise and give treats -- hold baby entire time. Let dog sniff baby if he is interested; praise dog, give treat.

Leash dog while you are sitting on couch with baby. Tell dog "down" (lie down on floor) while you two are on couch -- let him see the pack hierarchy.

If you try these things and notice even a slight improvement than dog is on the right track. Dog is confused since the status quo has changed -- you need to give the guidance and give him some clarity about how it should be -- generally -- if dog has no other outstanding issues -- once dog knows he has "new" people and he knows you expect him to rise to the occasion he will become more relaxed. A relaxed dog who knows what his owner's expectations are, usually, a good and happy dog.

We've had several babies and did this with our Vizsla (with guidance from an excellent behaviorist) and had great success. Now dog loves them more than me.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
First, does your dog have a crate? If not, a dog bed? Would have been great if you could have done this while baby was still in the hospital but you can still try now:

Take a blanket with baby's scent on it and put it in crate or bed for a week or so.

Also:

Leash dog while you are holding baby. Give simple commands while walking around house (sit, down, stay, heel) and praise and give treats -- hold baby entire time. Let dog sniff baby if he is interested; praise dog, give treat.

Leash dog while you are sitting on couch with baby. Tell dog "down" (lie down on floor) while you two are on couch -- let him see the pack hierarchy.

If you try these things and notice even a slight improvement than dog is on the right track. Dog is confused since the status quo has changed -- you need to give the guidance and give him some clarity about how it should be -- generally -- if dog has no other outstanding issues -- once dog knows he has "new" people and he knows you expect him to rise to the occasion he will become more relaxed. A relaxed dog who knows what his owner's expectations are, usually, a good and happy dog.

We've had several babies and did this with our Vizsla (with guidance from an excellent behaviorist) and had great success. Now dog loves them more than me.
If I crate or cage the dog, it will have a fit. Nobody will sleep as it will whine and cry all night. But I will try the baby blanket thing where he sleeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs