Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,771,845 times

Advertisements

I checked mail this am and picked up a package from Amazon, with this book in it.

Amazon.com: Dogs For Dummies, DVD Bundle (9780470461679): Gina Spadafori: Books

So I took it to read on my train coz that is the only place where I am going to sit my bum on for 50 continuous minutes.

Dude#1:
"What the.... are you kidding me, that's funny"

Lady#1:
"Oh that's so funny, didn't know they have a book for it"

Dude#2:
"interesting!"

So, why is it funny? LOL

Well, of course, I know these folks, they are everyday fellow commuters, so let's say they took the freedom to opine. But..... I wonder how many thought I was a dumb dude?! Isn't that the point.... that's why I got the book, coz I know nothing about having a dog personally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM

831 posts, read 1,968,054 times
Well I'm sure those know-it-alls found it amusing because having a dog may, in their little worlds, = drop food down for it (when you remember); turn it out the door and hope it comes back for bathroom breaks (if not, there are always more where that came from); and veterniarian? You mean they have DOCTORS FOR DOGS NOW?

Ignorance is bliss, you know. IMHO common sense is not common at all, and what is usually perceived as 'sense' in some is generally prefaced with the word 'non'.

I meet lots of these folks. They are the ones that can tell you they had dogs all their lives and didn't need no stinkin' special food, didn't need no stinkin' "dog doctors," just fed them table scraps, tied them to a post all their lives, and their favorite's dog's name was...DOG.

Hopefully as we continue to evolve, our knowledge of our canine family members is evolving too. I'm sure someone is just trying to sell a book too - I'm not that dumb! But I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone who wants a dog.

/rant

Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM

831 posts, read 1,968,054 times
I should also state that where I am currently living, I have been advised be a lifelong resident that dogs are status symbols (but full sets of your own teeth are not) or not even a pet or a friend, but rather "part of the culture."

Living lawn ornament = part of the local culture.

It's a difference in perceptions of what your dog may mean to you in the future and what a dog means to those joking about it. Your perception might be friend, companion, responsibility. Their perception might be lightyears away from that. So that perception translates into a lack of interest in your book, or even incredulousness of why it might be needed.

Perceptions...9/10ths of one's own reality.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

30,369 posts, read 23,836,139 times
I would think it's funny because I would think it's cute.

They had Windows for Dummies, Real Estate for Dummies, Investing for Dummies....

Then they moved on to other topics and I found those other topics funny in a cute way, not funny in a, "OMG! That's hilarious like anyone needs a book about dating!" way.

If I were to see someone reading a "Dogs for Dummies" book, I would also smile and laugh a bit simply because I thought it was cute.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
Seeing as you have a whole harem to deal with, they probably think it's funny that you'd have the time for a dog.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM

30,369 posts, read 23,836,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Seeing as you have a whole harem to deal with, they probably think it's funny that you'd have the time for a dog.
Even better answer.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,771,845 times
I just finished the preface and started the first chapter.

It's more mind boggling than Advanced Semiconductor devices from third semester

They took the liberty to comment coz they know me very well, I bet. And we were all engaged in some train chatter that one guy flipped my book up to see what it was..... imagine how his face went now.... he was like "What?!?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs