Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM

246 posts, read 279,183 times

Advertisements

We have had 2 dogs get sprayed by skunks. I have found the tomato juice just turns the dog orange. PetSmart has a product that really works Nature's Miracle Skunk odor removal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
I'd be sure to talk to my Vet....skunks can carry rabies.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Has anyone's dog ever killed a skunk. I have a 25lb daschund/terrier mix and he chased down a skunk in the yard, grabbed it by the tail, flung it in the air and broke its neck. I thought the spray kept predators away from skunks.
I cleaned him up but it takes a few days for it to go away completely.
Anyone like to share ?
That's a mix bred for killing small mammals.

I think that unless they get a direct hit in the face the spray doesn't bother them, and in some dogs it intensifies their predatory desire. I know porcupines can cause that, a dog gets hit once or twice and develops a lifelong bloodlust for revenge.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 435 times
We have skunks come around the property around the end of July.every year. We have a sharpei mix female dog and she's killed 2 so far this year. I've found what works best is we flush her eyes out with eye drops, I Take a wash cloth wet it with water and clean her teeth tongue jowls all of the inside of her mouth as well as her mouth nose face and neck i do it twice. Finally i bathe her with Johnson's baby shampoo. Johnson's baby shampoo does a good job getting rid of most of the smell. We will bathe her 2 more times over the next few days. This seems to take care of it and the baby shampoo doesn't irritate her eyes if I accidently get some in there. Its important to take care of the dogs mouth and face these parts get irritated and the dog might refuse to eat.
So far this is what works best for us and is less intrusive for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs