Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,895 times

Advertisements

Kind of long, so be warned....

A friend has recently moved in with her boyfriend and his mother. The mother is somewhat disabled, but not in a way that prohibits being ambulatory. She's pretty much milking her disability to keep the 40-something son with her, where he's been most of his life. Mother is clearly jealous of girlfriend and acts out childishly. Mother & son have a small dog.

Enter girlfriend with a soon-to-be-large puppy. Dogs get along at first, then large puppy starts becoming agressive to small dog and trying to attack mother.

Large puppy is crated when son & girlfriend are at work.

Coincidentally, large puppy has sporadic diarrhea after mother has a snit fit when son takes the girlfriend's side over some issue.

Large puppy has been on the same diet since girlfriend got her and is always supervised when outside, so what's causing the diarrhea? The vet can't figure it out.

The mother is probably spiteful enough to be feeding large puppy laxatives and the poor thing has to stay in her crate until the son & girlfriend get home. Even though large puppy doesn't like the mother, she'd probably eat something tossed in her crate, right?

Nanny-cams are too expensive and the girlfriend doesn't really want to tell the son she suspects the mom of something so awful.

Help, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
I know this probably won't happen, but it sounds like she needs to get both herself and the dog out of there. Failing that, she should find another home for the dog. It shouldn't be left alone with someone she suspects is capable of abusing it like that.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,822,380 times
I wonder if taking a stool sample to be tested would reveal something the dog should not be ingesting.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 PM

348 posts, read 850,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Kind of long, so be warned....

A friend has recently moved in with her boyfriend and his mother. The mother is somewhat disabled, but not in a way that prohibits being ambulatory. She's pretty much milking her disability to keep the 40-something son with her, where he's been most of his life. Mother is clearly jealous of girlfriend and acts out childishly. Mother & son have a small dog.

Enter girlfriend with a soon-to-be-large puppy. Dogs get along at first, then large puppy starts becoming agressive to small dog and trying to attack mother.

Large puppy is crated when son & girlfriend are at work.

Coincidentally, large puppy has sporadic diarrhea after mother has a snit fit when son takes the girlfriend's side over some issue.

Large puppy has been on the same diet since girlfriend got her and is always supervised when outside, so what's causing the diarrhea? The vet can't figure it out.

The mother is probably spiteful enough to be feeding large puppy laxatives and the poor thing has to stay in her crate until the son & girlfriend get home. Even though large puppy doesn't like the mother, she'd probably eat something tossed in her crate, right?

Nanny-cams are too expensive and the girlfriend doesn't really want to tell the son she suspects the mom of something so awful.

Help, please!
1. Is the boyfriend a winner, like his mother? Good Lord, find another guy.

2. A cam is too expensive? If she isn't going to leave prince charming, spend a little dough, buy a camera, and find out the truth. The dog is a living, breathing being with feelings who can't speak for himself and who did not ask to be brought into this situation. His doggy parent needs to be his advocate. No, I don't know her economic situation, but, if funds are tight, I'd cut out any frivolous spending, skip the take out, the new pair of jeans, whatever, and make things right for my pet.

Anyone that harms an animal has an increased liklihood to harm a person.

If I were your friend, I would take my animal and get the bleep out of there. No one harms my pet.

While it's an obvious thought, I wonder if the tummy trouble is due to increased anxiety due to the move? People can get upset tummies when upset. Would not the same thing happen to a dog?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
The gf needs to tell her boyfriend what she suspects and together they should speak to his mother and let her know of the suspicions. Then she or they need to move out and get their own place. This should be asap. You can also report suspicions to the spca or possibly to the vet. There is no way that I would be able to keep quiet.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
First of all, what are they feeding the dog, I mean, real food, not some suspected bad stuff.

Second, to me it sounds like there is some stress in that house...could puppy be reacting to that stress and the fact that its left in the crate for so long?

I agree with others, if I feel that an environment is not safe for my pet or healthy for my pet, I don't care how much I may like that environment, I and my pet leave and find another place. There's nothing to discuss.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Agreed. She should at least ask someone to foster until the situation is under control. Also, a foster home would provide the perfect control against which she can gain more info re: her theory.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,895 times
After reading your posts, I agree, she needs to take her dog and get out.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,057,622 times
Just like others stated, I would definitely move out. To me it's not worth the risk of the death of her dog.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM

398 posts, read 985,348 times
Get a stool sample over to the vet and get it checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs