Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 AM

1,369 posts, read 715,594 times

Advertisements

I have a dog and I am absent minded... but I never take her anywhere in a car when it is warm and I know I have other things to do.
However, a police dog is always in the car... these officers are NOT jerks, they aren't stupid, they aren't bad people.
They are human. Human beings forget things. Human beings who are working, multitasking, distracted...

Stop being so judgmental. These are people who work with dogs all the time... they are closer to their dogs than a normal dog owner could ever be... they depend on each other for their lives. It makes what happened all the more tragic... but who are we to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,961,508 times
K9 handlers and their dogs have an incredibly close bond. The dogs stay at home with the handler and play with their family, and they will swap to an entirely different mindset once the handler puts the uniform on. The lights, police radio, and siren often get the dog amped up before arriving on a scene. The dog can turn it on and off like a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
we had a case here, here the cars are equipt to continue running without keys in the k9 units to keep the air going for the dogs so that officers can exit their vehicles without worry of the dogs...
but the back up cut out and the dog died, the officer was only away from his car for 15 minutes...
it wasnt even overly hot out, only about 78 degrees that day.

it doesnt take long...
such a shame.
its one of the resons i get sooo upset when i see dogs left in cars with the window cracked a little...people dont realize that even in low temps in the shade, cars turn into ovens pretty dang quickly!
I think you will find the strong majority of K9 officers (in the U.S. at least) leave their vehicle running with the A/C on while inside buildings or out of the car on calls. Alot of departments have cars programmed where the windows will roll down if the inside of the car gets to a certain temperature.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
You can get a ticket for leaving your dog in the car when it is above a certain temperature in some states. I know that is the case in FL, they WILL break your window. Squad cars are made to idle for long periods of time.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Stop being so judgmental. These are people who work with dogs all the time... they are closer to their dogs than a normal dog owner could ever be... they depend on each other for their lives. It makes what happened all the more tragic... but who are we to judge.
I will agree that it is tragic but as other posters have pointed out, steps are taken in most departments to safeguard the dogs when working in heat. Baking your dog and partner to death in a car is more than a little oops or a minor lapse in judgement. The actions of this officer need to scutinized if for nothing else, to develop departmental procedures to avoid having it ever happen again.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

13,644 posts, read 10,043,367 times
With consideration to how close many are saying these Police Officers are to their Dogs, I hope they don’t have Children.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
The date on the news story is from 2010......just fyi

Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM

13,644 posts, read 10,043,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The date on the news story is from 2010......just fyi
29th June 2011, for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs