Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,441,867 times

Advertisements

These young ladies did a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTlyxDLqKyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,536,380 times
Those girls made me cry! I sure hope this bill passes.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,288,345 times
Bravo!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,147,965 times
WELL done, Young Ladies!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM

5,087 posts, read 10,819,082 times
Just the fact that they are aware, at such a young age, that puppy mills are unethical and should be outlawed is impressive. But then, actually speaking out about it publicly: I often worry about the future but these young ladies put my mind at ease. Thank you for posting the clip.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,183,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Just the fact that they are aware, at such a young age, that puppy mills are unethical and should be outlawed is impressive. But then, actually speaking out about it publicly: I often worry about the future but these young ladies put my mind at ease. Thank you for posting the clip.

Couldn't you hear the pages being turned in the video as the girls were reading their lines?

They are not aware, their parents are aware and using their children in an emotional appeal for political purpose. It is classic bleeding heart political tactics.(insert bleeding heart here) Really, who can ignore cute girls and little puppies?

Look, I don't support puppy mills but please, recognize this video for what it is regardless of the good intent behind its production: propoganda.

Yeah, I know y'all will attack me. I'm not heartless, just blunt and truthful.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM

5,087 posts, read 10,819,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Couldn't you hear the pages being turned in the video as the girls were reading their lines?

They are not aware, their parents are aware and using their children in an emotional appeal for political purpose. It is classic bleeding heart political tactics.(insert bleeding heart here) Really, who can ignore cute girls and little puppies?

Look, I don't support puppy mills but please, recognize this video for what it is regardless of the good intent behind its production: propoganda.

I'm not going to attack you. However, I will point out where your logic is flawed.

Just because these young girls are reading from a script does not mean that they have no comprehension of issue of puppy mills. These girls are of an age at which they can very easily consider something ethical or unethical. Moreover, they're Girl Scouts who need to participate in community service activities to get badges. If you go to the Girl Scouts website, you will see that part of the program entails that young ladies identify and support political causes and concerns that are important to them. I am sure the parents helped the girls to organize the video but I imagine that the conception came from the girls themselves.

Furthermore, propaganda is usually an appeal more to emotion rather than intellect. And, while these young ladies are very sweet looking, the monotone manner in which they presented factual information (without emotionally-laden musicin the background) about puppy mills seemed an attempt to express their views publicly and involve others rather than to emotionally manipulate.

For example, compare this video to the Humane Society commercial featuring slow motion shots of "abused and neglected" animals while "Arms of the Angel" plays in the background, followed by an appeal from a celebrity for donations. If anything is going to be considered propaganda, it's a commercial like that. But, even then, it is difficult to say that such an appeal is propaganda b/c, with propaganda, there is usually an opposition about whom facts are distorted or concealed for the benefit of one party. The Humane Society is not attempting to mislead people by presenting a one-sided argument nor are these young ladies.

As regards this video, are you actually going to argue that there are benefits to puppy mills that were purposefully omitted from this video? That puppy mills are somehow being slandered or misrepresented?

Moreover, how exactly is this family benefitting from this video? With most propaganda, one party is misrepresenting another for political power. Advertising, which can be considered propaganda, is usually misrepresenting a product (i.e. emphasizing the good while omitting the not-so-good) to obtain money. Maybe I missed the part where this family solicited donations, sought re-election or showed that they will get ANYTHING out of this video (other than, perhaps, three Girl Scout badges).

While it is often difficult to define propaganda, I don't think that this video qualifies.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 PM

592 posts, read 1,823,314 times
LifelongMOgal must never have been a girl scout herself. If you ever were you know that they do projects to get badges and just for good causes and community reasons. What children that age could speak into a camera for that long of a time, or learn all those lines, without the help of a script? So, they, or their troop together, composed the script (and maybe with the help of a parent or troop leader which is fine, too) and they read it when they were in front of the camera---just like soap opera stars do with their lines, or they do on Saturday Night Live. Big deal! It doesn't make it any less meaningful. And, propaganda? Come on!!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,147,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

why could they not be aware?? I was about that age when I reported a pet store to the authorities for the inhumane conditions that their "easter bunnies" were being subjected to......

and HOW exactly is speaking out about the cruel realities of puppy mills a political ploy??

is it not possible that one or more of these girls saw a show or something about puppy mills?? they are on animal planet, among other channels, and took it to heart??

you claim to not support puppy mills.... but have never said anything here against them, and in fact, speak out more in opposition of attempts at regulating or even exposing them.....

sheesh....

Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,183,490 times
LTTP, I just called it for what I observed in the video. Should I apologize for being able to take a step back and be analitical? I'm pretty certain I didn't attack anyone personally in the post I made either. I don't support puppy mills and though I praise you personal efforts and those others here who deeply dedicated to rescue efforts daily I find your accusation highly insulting.

JudyPatooti, yes, I was a girl scout for many, many years and yes, I recall what work was required for badges.

StarlaJane, the use of the word propaganda is a techincal one. I wrote a major paper on it years ago compiling months of reseach into it. I am quite familiar with its history as well as use and was careful to choose my wording appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs