Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

I've been talking at county / city / community meetings for years when they are thinking of trying to pass a BSL ordinance. I've worked on the material constantly over the years, adding in the most recent studies, articles, etc that I find on line. I just started working on it again as it sounds like Cumberland County, TN is going to try a sneaky under the table, out of the eyes of their community type vote like Sparta, TN did. If this is the case I plan on going public with what they're trying to do and getting a group of people from the county together to speak at the county offices.

If you have any studies, statistics, know of towns that have repealed their BSL when they found it ineffective, know of a dangerous dog law that is non-breed specific that addresses owner responsibility that's been highly effective in an area, etc, please can you post it here? For each statement I make I need a link or name of a person or group that did the study, or the name of the town and dates for any repeals, etc. I try to back up what I say with facts, something those supporting BSL never can do.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've been talking at county / city / community meetings for years when they are thinking of trying to pass a BSL ordinance. I've worked on the material constantly over the years, adding in the most recent studies, articles, etc that I find on line. I just started working on it again as it sounds like Cumberland County, TN is going to try a sneaky under the table, out of the eyes of their community type vote like Sparta, TN did. If this is the case I plan on going public with what they're trying to do and getting a group of people from the county together to speak at the county offices.

If you have any studies, statistics, know of towns that have repealed their BSL when they found it ineffective, know of a dangerous dog law that is non-breed specific that addresses owner responsibility that's been highly effective in an area, etc, please can you post it here? For each statement I make I need a link or name of a person or group that did the study, or the name of the town and dates for any repeals, etc. I try to back up what I say with facts, something those supporting BSL never can do.

Thanks!
Here is one site for you. Contact them for more details. Its broken down by year

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Here is one site for you. Contact them for more details. Its broken down by year

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
My Dandridge, TN fight was on that list!!

Great site. Tons more places either dropped or chose to not start BSL than I knew about!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,057,622 times
This site may be helpful to you.
Stop BSL | Your Community. Safer. Smarter. More Humane.

My county has a dangerous dog ordinance since July 2009. I don't know if it's been effective or not. Here's a link to the law. It's on the left hand side under animal care directory. Animal Care

Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My Dandridge, TN fight was on that list!!

Great site. Tons more places either dropped or chose to not start BSL than I knew about!!!
Go get 'em!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Another link that may give you more ammo. Its the NCRC dogbite fatality report for 2009. Gives a lot of good analysis as well as each report on the fatal bites (BTW - the one that sparked the current BSL for Texas is in there too). Hope this helps!

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...t-FINAL-11.pdf

Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,663 times
I'm trying to find my town's animal laws online and am having quite a bit of trouble. I remember going to the police department and getting a hard copy, and it had something in it about not being allowed to keep breeds "known to be vicious," or some very vague thing like that.

Does that fit with the subject of this thread?

Thank you for your work spaying and neutering, and other things you're doing for the innocents!

Two cats, one dog, no nuts!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Anything that eludes to a breed as aggressive or viscious and bans them is BSL. However, if it doesn't mention a 'breed' then no, it's not included. A lot of places are starting dangerous dog laws that are non-breed specific and target the real problem - irresponsible owners. That's what we're hoping for here too.

No nuts is good!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Another link that may give you more ammo. Its the NCRC dogbite fatality report for 2009. Gives a lot of good analysis as well as each report on the fatal bites (BTW - the one that sparked the current BSL for Texas is in there too). Hope this helps!

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...t-FINAL-11.pdf
You rock, girl!!! I'll be adding that to my list of sites to read through tonight! Thank you!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I'm trying to find my town's animal laws online and am having quite a bit of trouble. I remember going to the police department and getting a hard copy, and it had something in it about not being allowed to keep breeds "known to be vicious," or some very vague thing like that.

Does that fit with the subject of this thread?

Thank you for your work spaying and neutering, and other things you're doing for the innocents!

Two cats, one dog, no nuts!
HAHAHAHAAHHAAA.... I LOVE this.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs