Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 07:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times

Advertisements

The sugar levels in my 80 lb akita are elevated even though I continue to give her 2 shots of insulin a day(22 mg each) I only check them with glucose test strips and dont have the exact numbers. She seems latargic and has a lose of apatite also, Is it a good idea to continue the shots even though she is not eating much. I have been giving her a shot after each meal but now I dont know what to do. I do plan to let the vet check her Monday but untill then does anyone have any sujestions.. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
My parents had a diabetic dog years ago and then recently before my dad died his cat was diagnosed with Diabetes. I have the cat now and I do have a glucose monitor so can check the blood sugars whenever. Usually when he is lethargic his blood sugars have been down and he is hypoglycemic so I skip the insulin. If he does not eat all his food I also skip the insulin as he does not get his shot until AFTER he eats. If you give the insulin and the animal is already hypoglycemic you can kill them so it is much less risky to go a few days with a high blood sugar. In the short term low blood sugar is much more of a risk then high blood sugar. High blood sugar causes damage over time but low blood sugar can kill fast. If your vet is open tomorrow you might want to call them and ask what you should be doing in such cases.

By glucose test strips do you mean the urine test strips? Also 22mg do you mean 22 units of insulin?

Signs of low blood sugar include weakness, staggering, seizures, or just being more quiet than usual. When the blood sugar is high you tend to see increased thirst and urination. In the cats case if he is acting normal I do not check his blood sugar if he is lethargic or not eating I do or if he is peeing a lot I do. I have not experienced it with the pets but with people when their blood sugars are high they dump Ketones which you can smell being near then, it is sort of a fruity smell and once you smell it you do recognize it then next time.

When my parents dog had diabetes it was many years ago and they did not have any way to monitor her but there were a few times when I visited that she was lethargic and stumbling and was hypoglycemic so I gave her some Karo syrup and took her to the vets ASAP.

What I find strange was the vet wanted them to give the insulin before she ate which seems crazy to me as then if she did not eat you risk the hypoglycemia. With the cat He eats first THEN gets his shot if he eats his whole meal. Also keep in mind that exercise will effect the blood sugar too so if it is a very active dog the insulin requirements may not be as much. While you can manage diabetes it is not always easy and as I am learning with the cat can be quite expensive so I have gotten the glucose monitor and checked it against my vets and the vet has taught me to do my own glucose curves so that when the cat needs them I can do them as they are expensive so it saves money to learn.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The sugar levels in my 80 lb akita are elevated even though I continue to give her 2 shots of insulin a day(22 mg each) I only check them with glucose test strips and dont have the exact numbers. She seems latargic and has a lose of apatite also, Is it a good idea to continue the shots even though she is not eating much. I have been giving her a shot after each meal but now I dont know what to do. I do plan to let the vet check her Monday but untill then does anyone have any sujestions.. thank you
My pet is diabetic, please go to this forum for help, everyone there has a diabetic dog.

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

If you are urine testing you cannot really tell by that, are you using just the diastix or the keto glucose stix, your pet could have rebound going on which means too much insulin, this can also raise the blood glucose also, when this happens a pet can go into shock. Its better to test your pet with a blood glucose meter.

Please go to the forum link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs