Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,290,542 times

Advertisements

A Westie adoption site has asked my wife to evaluate a potential home for an adoption through a rescue organization. We had adopted a Scottie through an affiliated organization and evidently have been impressed enough with our commitment and follow up that they asked us to help them with this. We have rescued other breeds previously so have been "inspected" but never have done the inspection on behalf of the rescue.

Any obvious or, not-so-obvious things to look for or red flags that she should be attuned to? Any particular cares, needs or behaviors unique to Westies that should be addressed?

Woof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,075,801 times
Ask Mrs1888 to email you their questionnaire. I did an inspection for her here in UT and the form covered everything! Unless the rescue you are doing it for has their own form?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ask Mrs1888 to email you their questionnaire. I did an inspection for her here in UT and the form covered everything! Unless the rescue you are doing it for has their own form?
Mrs1885?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,531,188 times
I would make sure that all areas outside are escape proof. Westies are nortorious diggers and sometimes escape artists. I feel extremely fortunate though my Westie has never been a digger along the fence line but then when I had my house I made sure that all areas along the fence were pretty much escape proof.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,253,463 times
Here's some off the top of my head. I work for a rescue group and they look at the cleanliness of the home, how long will the dog be alone during the day and where the dog is going to be kept. Will he be kept in a crate and if so, for how long? Does he have a fenced yard? If it is fenced, is the house near a busy road or street? Is the family all in agreement w/ getting a dog and how does the family interact with animals? How many pets are in the household? Are there small children in the home? Do you have the supplies needed for a dog (crate, leash, food, etc). Do you know what Vet you’ll be using?

I have a Westie. I love him dearly, but he is defiant. He was hard to house train, so make sure the new owners have patience. Most aren't lap dogs, but mine is. Are the new owners ok if their Westie wants to be held alot? Some Westies get the tear stains, but I found keeping mine of distilled water has worked against that. A Westie thinks he's a big dog and will attack big dogs. Luckily, my Lab ignores him. Westies are extremely easy to spoil!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:36 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,119,104 times
when i do home visits, i spend as much time chatting with the prospective adopters to get a feel of their "dog sense" as i do looking around..... if they are inexperienced dog people, what kind of questions are they askiing YOU?? do they seem eager to learn?

what kind of plants are in the house and yard?? are cleaning and other chemicals easily accessible?? are trash cans in harm's way.... not just in the kitchen, but in the bathrooms too?? what about cords for electronic equipment??

how will the dog be exercised?? where will it sleep?

how do they seem to take suggestions for dog-proofing?? some may get defensive, but most are receptive......

what is your general gut feeling about the people and the home??

p.s. ... the rescue SHOULD have a home visit form for you to use, but if not, i can send you a form i have used for home visits that covers what to look for .......

Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Thank you all. I was given a form from the rescue and have a keen sense of what to look for and ask. I'm going to pretend I'm placing one of our dogs and be very aware of the home and occupants.

Mrs. Ghengis

Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,075,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Mrs1885?
Yes, my bad!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,675,282 times
Westie's are high energy, active, and stubborn little dogs. You definitely have to be the leader or they will simply take over! They must be on a lead at all times or they will chase whatever they see. Cats, squirrels, birds ~ anything can make him dart outside. And if Ringo gets out of the fence; he isn't coming back until he's good and ready.

A fenced yard is great for a Westie since they seem to like to spend a good bit of time outdoors.

At least the ones that I know, including Ringo, of course!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,253,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Westie's are high energy, active, and stubborn little dogs. You definitely have to be the leader or they will simply take over! They must be on a lead at all times or they will chase whatever they see. Cats, squirrels, birds ~ anything can make him dart outside. And if Ringo gets out of the fence; he isn't coming back until he's good and ready.

A fenced yard is great for a Westie since they seem to like to spend a good bit of time outdoors.

At least the ones that I know, including Ringo, of course!
I agree that Westie's are high energy, but there are always exceptions. My Westie, Ninja won't leave my side. The front door has been left open, and he has run out. He won't leave, just sits down in the front yard for me to pick up. He shares a home w/ cats and they don't bother him one bit. Also, mine prefers inside close by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs