Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM

737 posts, read 2,591,408 times

Advertisements

So a neighbor calls and needs to get rid of his 2 dogs (they are beautiful bluetick hounds - sp?), siblings that are kind, great w/kids, etc. But the "parents" are moving and cannot take them. I offer to accompany the husband to the animal welfare center to turn them in (they wouldn't fit in w/our small pack - tried). I've been trying to re-home for almost a week but without success.

So he calls this a.m. and wants to know when I'm picking them up? WTF? Like I would use one of my vehicles to take HIS dogs to the pound? What is up w/that? HE gets P.O.'d at ME! When we talked yesterday and I begged him not to "beach" them (they would be easy bait dogs to catch), he says he'll be here today to pick me up since he doesn't know how to deal w/turning in the dogs... different rant.

Why oh why do people get dogs when they don't know the long-term obligation and commitments? I'm just so p*ssed, had to write something.

And he didn't he have DOG FOOD to bring to the shelter. Again, WTF? He left me there w/his 2 dogs and I wrote the check, called the vet to get the verification that they were properly vetted. Okay, guess this post has gone on too long. Just really angry w/people that can't stay committed and these people KNEW that their living situation was precarious... that, I guess is my biggest peeve. Thanks for reading... helped me a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,064,950 times
unfortunately, they are just another of the legions who expect others to clean up the mess they make and leave behind..... in this situation, it is 2 dogs lives at stake......

can't fix stupid......

Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,608,756 times
Have you tried contacting Coonhound Rescue? I've never adopted from them, but I frequently daydream of adopting a coonhound so I've checked their site. Oh, and even though it says "Black and Tan" I've seen bluetick coonhounds on their site as well.

American Black and Tan Coonhound Rescue

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM

737 posts, read 2,591,408 times
thanks... yeah, can't fix stupid, for sure.

I'm in the USVI so we've got some pretty strict rules re: transportation on air during this time of year.

good news... still working on re-homing and have 1 lead...

fingers crossed!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,839,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
thanks... yeah, can't fix stupid, for sure.

I'm in the USVI so we've got some pretty strict rules re: transportation on air during this time of year.

good news... still working on re-homing and have 1 lead...

fingers crossed!
Good Luck SunsetBeach...you ex-neighbour sounds like an absolute irresponsible idiot. I really don't get people like that. He just shouldn't be allowed to be a pet owner. You had a right to be royally ticked. I really hope there is a rescue organization out there for the hounds.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:28 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,061,548 times
I know they aren't your dogs, but at least you got him to do the right thing and take them to the shelter, or should I say you did the right thing and took them to the shelter.

As latetothepartysaid...can't fix stupid!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,535,435 times
Blue tick hounds in my area be snatched up fast great hunters from coon - bear.

I am in somewhat same situation with 2 different dogs.

#1 9 month old bloodhound female lady rescues so not get shot. Person who bought a pup from me asked me to help rehome as Grandpa said could not keep there as to many dogs already as he has 2 his daughter has 2 and the hound and she living at Grandpa's. City allows 3 animals per household. So said would look and pick up Sunday with or without home so not go to shelter and nobody get in trouble. I breed and rescue bloodhounds. Grandpa says to hyper locks in basement, lady who saved it takes out twice a day to potty and 5 minute walk. YIPPEE! Anyone that knows a bloodhound knows they are not the lay around dogs portrayed on tv. 9 months coming into second puppy hood so a bit more wild. Now Grandma and Grandpa say ok come get her so gets good home and the rescuer says no way can anyone take her. They been warned for to may dogs on premises 3 times now and fined. Rescuer living with grandparents as cannot afford to house and feed kids and self and has to terriers. Now the bloodhound which will eat 4 times what a terrier does and needs ear cleanings and all. She still says anyone tries removing dog will call cops. So I cannot get her and now a little birdie told me since she is not licensed and to get dog out of house will get turned in to animal control. I wrote shelter where will most likely go to as possibility have home in SAR group Wednesday morning after talk on Tuesday nights SAR training session which would be best for dog. No contact from shelter yet either. This been take, no cannot take , take, cannot take all week. That is irking me bad. Would be 3 hour trip one way to get dog, then evaluate before rehoming also.

#2 Took pup back as owner had problems which found out real soon why was acting way was (aggression). Problem dog was locked in kennel carrier all day took for walks morning noon and night. Was used to a 1 hour walk morning and 1 hour walk evenings and play time between. Well it got cold and he was working on house and so when working in house dog kenneled again. Bloodhounds are active and enjoy being with their people. I took this dog in February with me figuring out problems and to go back. Gave 1 1/2 bags dog food to help out as no charge to retrain/ foster dogs that came from me. He said building new garage with dog house inside with attached kennel run from garage to house so could be outside during day instead of kennel carrier. He said be done by May. May comes having troubles getting trusses so be another month. July email garage still not done but almost then can do patio blocks and fence. I go by in August garage up no hole for dog house no siding think ok he has to cut hole yet. Do parade next week he brings kids in to see their dog. ( they bawled when I took him and said he be back) He said 2 weeks be ready. I email him and his response is: "I changed jobs have no time for dog and not fair to him he is now yours or may have friend who will take and then I can have him when girls home." He also asked me to contact police dept. in his town to see if they want it. Now I look like the mean man who took these little girls dog and not return him.
Why could he not have told me earlier, now winter approaching and I have another dog need to find home for that will be 2 in December that has no SAR training at all as I was not training it and letting go back for nothing. Just want to wring this man's neck for this as could had gone in August as at parade people asked to buy him then and there on the spot. I could took names and numbers and got references and had him gone already.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:49 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
I was looking at our rescue's website the other day and couldn't believe what popped up. I took this dog in when she was just a puppy and the first place we put her she was attacked by the new owner's existing dog and they had to return her. Last I knew she'd been adopted out and then I saw this in her description:

Daisy
Description: Poor Daisy! We got Daisy after she was dumped off at a local vet's office with a note wrapped around her collar that said her owners were unable to keep her and that they hoped she would find a good home. Well, she did find a good home with a blended family that had three teenage boys who were thrilled with her. She spent part of the summer swimming in their above ground pool with lots of horseplay. But, the family broke up, the house was sold and both parties moved to apartments where dogs were not allowed. Then a family with two boys and a girl who were home schooled asked if Daisy could spend an overnight at their house. They loved her and she settled in for several years of traveling with them and snuggling in bed with a different child every night. But that was not to last forever; Mom and the kids moved out and Daisy is home alone with no one to play with or even be with all day. She's good with cats and has a great track record with children - she loves to play. Hopefully this next home will truly be her forever home.

It just makes my jaw drop.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,535,435 times
Situations change we all know this and us breeder's(most of us anyways) have contracts stating that dog must come back to us to rehome. Just when they do not tell you and just dump a dog that gets ya where want to strangle someone. I do rescue also and that is the hardest trying to find perfect home where you hope dog can live life to the end with love and caring until they meet the rainbow bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs