Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,466,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I find it disturbing is that you are so caught up in advocating spay and neuter that you don't seem to care about the animals for whom the procedure is not the right decision (I guess b/c those animals are only "2%.") How can you not find merit with a study that saves the lives of dogs?! Do you honestly think that not extending their lives is somehow going to stop people from irresponsible breeding?!
You are wrong. I care very deeply about dogs. The study also doesn't support that intact dogs live longer than spay & neuters, only that they contracted cancer less. The study was breed specific and Rottweilers are prone to this disease. The mean age of the diagnosis of the cancer was 8+ years (per the study in the 1st post) in a dog where the average life by most sources is listed as being between 8 and 10 years (+-2). I can support someone saying that a responsible Rottie owner may want to evaluate spaying or neutering due to the cancer risk but I would never suggest that it will help a dog live linger - it doesn't. You are correct though, for the general population, all the care that will be required is too much and accidental breeding WILL happen. I am sorry that your dog died of cancer. That is not an easy thing to go through. However avocating no spay or neuter as a general practice is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 612 times
Since I chose to put in my contract that no one could spay/nueter until 16 months of age, everything from allergies to hip dysplasia , autoimmune and temper problems have decreased significantly for me and other breeders. none of us will go back to ever recommending early spay again! 20 years of doing it wrong, because the vets could never tell me why so many of my puppies grew up to look nothing their parents, tall, narrow ,no muscle, male heads smaller then their mommies...well we all finally figured it out, we replace alot less and dogs live alot longer if we just delay the spay!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 2,395 times
Default Test, just a test

Hello. And Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs