Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,695,571 times

Advertisements

I will preface this post by stating that I plan to get help from a professional trainer -- we JUST moved across the country and are not even in our new place yet. I'm looking for some advice on things I can be doing now.

Our dog, Jasper, was born at the animal control shelter where we lived before. He and his mom were kept in a poen in the finace person's office. His siblings all dies from parvo and distemper. He did not een get sick, so I think he's a tough little guy. He's a chihuahua mix (with what, we don't know. More than one person has suggested black lab!) He's 7 months old and about 13 pounds.

So there is the typical puppy stuff -- chewing, house training, jumping up on people. He's pretty well house trained but does have some accidents. The jumping up thing I'd like to work on -- his claws are sharp, and it's just not a pleasant behavior.

In addition, however, it seems the he might be an alpha male. He is fixed, and has been humping my 4 year old son. He seems to have picked me as his person, and growls at my 10 year when she tries to pick him up from my lap. He has nipped at her, too, and once went after her after she turned away from him.

He lets me take bones or things from his mouth but again, growls at the kids if they try to. I tell them to never try to do it, and maybe I need a kid trainer in addition to a dog trainer.

Any ideas on things i can do now? I think he's pretty smart, and overall a great little dog. I know it's MY job to train him so life is more pleasant around here (i.e. him not hurting the kids by jumping and scratching them, scaring them by growling, etc.)

Thanks for your shared wisdom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 AM

442 posts, read 969,524 times
Watch the Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo channel. He has done wonders for me and my puppy. Or you can purchase his DVD's at the store or online.
HIs name is Cesar Millan.

Last edited by trnsplntfrmNV; 07-29-2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Put his name in

Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM

I actually just bought one of his books (now, to find time to read it.) My sense is that he is quite controversial here, but I think that his books are probably not quite the same as his show -- the book I got is for just regular puppy/dog issues, not the red zone cases on tv.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM

1,480 posts, read 3,962,646 times
Chi mix? umm those little stinkers can be very territoral at times .. and altho your the "mom" he thinks he is protecting you .. kinda funny but really its not .. YOU have to call him on the snapping and do it quick .. as long as YOU let him get away with it he will keep doing it .. and yes it is a domanince thing . cause if you dont he will be in charge of you as well and thats why the Dog Whisper is called .. we create a monster and dont like it once we get it sorta thinking on my part

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Yeah, my kids come first -- he cannot be allowed to do that behavior.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,549,880 times
He is showing alpha tendencies by humping child which is also why snaps and growls at them. You as Alpha over him must be the enforcer and tell him no and light discipline if needed. The jumping is excitable but if does it turn around and ignore him as you say NO/Down in a sharp tone.
Make sure kids or you DO NOT play tug of war with him as that teaches the snapping also when try to get something from them. I start mine as pups 6 weeks old that I can take anything from them and have my kids do this also so any homes they go to if have kids can do same. My oldest female grew up with my youngest and he took T bones out of her mouth and just looked at him like that is mine can I please have it back.

Potty training will come especially with recent move will take some time to adjust. Pup is a pup chewing problems and potty training will getter with time, be patient.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,355,516 times
My reaction is that you need some systematic training, including both obedience and leadership. Rather than piecemeal "what to do if he humps" and "what to do when he guards objects from the kids," I would suggest you do a training class and engage a trainer/behaviorist to help you get started.

I would suggest doing this quickly. Nipping your child and running at her from behind isn't ok and someone should start helping you with that before it gets worse.

While you're working on finding someone, try reading about "Nothing in Life is Free" (NILIF). It's a method of dealing with a dog in a manner than demonstrates that you, not he, are the leader and that he can't get anything rewarding without respecting that premise.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM

533 posts, read 1,840,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
My reaction is that you need some systematic training, including both obedience and leadership. Rather than piecemeal "what to do if he humps" and "what to do when he guards objects from the kids," I would suggest you do a training class and engage a trainer/behaviorist to help you get started.

I would suggest doing this quickly. Nipping your child and running at her from behind isn't ok and someone should start helping you with that before it gets worse.

While you're working on finding someone, try reading about "Nothing in Life is Free" (NILIF). It's a method of dealing with a dog in a manner than demonstrates that you, not he, are the leader and that he can't get anything rewarding without respecting that premise.

Good luck.
Great advice! We've had great success with training to help with obedience and leadership, all treat-free and clicker-free. We use a private trainer. Some things we've learned that may help until you get a trainer is to read all you can about establishing people leadership in the home. Google is your friend for this task. We use the word "OFF" for jumping. Say it like you mean it. We have a lead (mountain climbing rope actually) that is almost always on our pup so we can sorta snap it (like a nip on the neck from momma dog) that we combine with our corrections. We do that with OFF, LEAVE IT, NO, etc. LEAVE IT is a good correction for chewing. So is bitter apple spray. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks. I have been reading this morning some about establishing our dominance in the household, and am going to start with teaching him how to sit. "OFF" will be a good one, too. Then I can start the NILF stuff.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,549,880 times
Just remember all in house must use same training words and everyone has to be involved not one let do it and others trying to teach not to. This goes for company also. My sister is a good example of this as when my oldest hound was small she let her jump on her even when I yelled DOWN and she say it is ok and then the fight started as I say I am trying to teach her something and you come in and let her and praise her and so she is undoing all I did. Well when dog hit 75 pounds she learned that I was right she was wrong and now she is only 1 she will jump on and I will not tell her not to as I am training my sister this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs