Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody -

I was wondering why a person would choose pet sitting over boarding at a kennel or at a veterinarian?

I am a pet sitter looking for clientele and I would like to know how to attract more pet owners to the idea of using a pet sitter or farm sitter. Though I have quite a few years of experience managing and caring for others animals, I don't feel as if people would take me seriously. Is there a better I can portray myself than I have done in my website: Moderator cut: no advertising Thanks for the help if you give any,

Laura Pinell
ETPS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-22-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Hi Laura,

The number one reason for me: Keeping my dog in HIS own environment.

It's so stressful for a dog to be (a) out of his environment, in a strange place; (b) surrounded by people he doesn't know; (c) surrounded by other animals that he doesn't know; etc... I could go on and on.

When I go out of town, I have someone stay in my house with my dog. My dog doesn't like many people but he LOVES her. The fact that he gets to stay in *his* house, even if I'm not there, is a perfect situation for him. (He was boarded once -- long story; there was no choice -- and he came home with laryngitis from barking so much, and his perky tail was down between his legs for a week. He was an absolute mess until he realized that he was REALLY home.)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi Laura,

The number one reason for me: Keeping my dog in HIS own environment.

It's so stressful for a dog to be (a) out of his environment, in a strange place; (b) surrounded by people he doesn't know; (c) surrounded by other animals that he doesn't know; etc... I could go on and on.

When I go out of town, I have someone stay in my house with my dog. My dog doesn't like many people but he LOVES her. The fact that he gets to stay in *his* house, even if I'm not there, is a perfect situation for him. (He was boarded once -- long story; there was no choice -- and he came home with laryngitis from barking so much, and his perky tail was down between his legs for a week. He was an absolute mess until he realized that he was REALLY home.)
Keeping him at home is also my number one reason for using a pet sitter. I've seen the effects of using both with my previous dog, and with the sitter, it's as if we never left home! He was always very relaxed, excited to see us but calm overall. With boarding him, not only was he completely stressed when we picked him up, but he also caught kennel cough, in spite of his vaccination against it.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Resiska, do you pet sit at your place or at the pet's house?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM

417 posts, read 1,069,149 times
We have used our pet sitter for the past 5 years now. When we first got our lab, we boarded her once and she came back so upset and confused we decided against boarding her again. Then we got a boxer mix from our SPCA and she was the type of dog who got so upset being left in a strange environment...she was so upset at the shelter, that boarding was never an option. Now with our new puppy, we'll either use a pet sitter or we're lucky that my parents are HUGE dog lovers (the other 2 dogs I spoke of live with them)..so our new pup will probably stay with them if we go away anywhere...but back to the pet sitter we use, when we first started, she met with the dogs 2 or 3 times (about an hour each time) so they grew accustomed to her and we knew she was good with them. So I would say that is most important..having the dogs in their environment so that they are comfortable and reassuring the owners that the dogs trust and get along with you by doing an initial visit or something..good luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,825,992 times
I'm looking for pet-sitter, and the local service will do other things besides take care of your pets. They bring in the mail/paper, water plants, poop-scoop the yard/house, open/close drapes and turn off/on lights so my place appears occupied. They also have employees experienced with small/exotic animals (have dogs and rats).

I prefer a sitter because my dogs aren't exactly social butterflies with other animals and people. One is just a one-person dog (I'm that person) who takes a while to warm up to a regular visitor, my other dog has special needs (blind,deaf), who is painfully shy and requires a special diet. They would NOT do well in boarding or even doggie daycare.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resiska View Post
Hi everybody -

I was wondering why a person would choose pet sitting over boarding at a kennel or at a veterinarian?

I am a pet sitter looking for clientele and I would like to know how to attract more pet owners to the idea of using a pet sitter or farm sitter. Though I have quite a few years of experience managing and caring for others animals, I don't feel as if people would take me seriously. Is there a better I can portray myself than I have done in my website: East Tennessee Pet Sitters ?

Thanks for the help if you give any,

Laura Pinell
ETPS
Laura,

My husband is a pet and plant sitter as well as home watcher and does pretty well considering what he expected to get out of his little business. Here are ways he has added to his business: 1-he joined the small business Association in town, he is active in church, for starters. He has put ads up at the local grocery stores and has a web site. What he tells people: it is better for your pets if you can keep them in a familiar enviornment..plus while caring for your pets I am watching over your home, whether I visit once a day, twice a day or stay over nights. Another thing, make sure you keep your rates at a level where it is less expensive to use a pet sitter than to actually board the animals.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm looking for pet-sitter, and the local service will do other things besides take care of your pets. They bring in the mail/paper, water plants, poop-scoop the yard/house, open/close drapes and turn off/on lights so my place appears occupied. They also have employees experienced with small/exotic animals (have dogs and rats).

I prefer a sitter because my dogs aren't exactly social butterflies with other animals and people. One is just a one-person dog (I'm that person) who takes a while to warm up to a regular visitor, my other dog has special needs (blind,deaf), who is painfully shy and requires a special diet. They would NOT do well in boarding or even doggie daycare.
This is exactly what my husband does, and I think most good pet sitters. OF course the one thing he tells people who are considering doing this for a side job, you absolutely have to love animals because the sense right away who does really love them.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
We live so far out in the sticks we have to board the dogs if we go away.

They like where they board. In fact, when we get there they are all happy.

One thing I love is the kennel has a video hook up. I can see the dogs any time I would like. Or, I can see a general scan of the kennel.

Even if they are out in the runs I can hit their cage number and view three.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 PM

360 posts, read 993,813 times
It's interesting that you don't think people will not take you seriously. Maybe it's not a part of the culture where you are, but everyone I know uses a pet sitter rather than a kennel, and I think most people rely on word-of-mouth for choosing a sitter. No one wants to leave a pet with an untested "stranger."

The website will only get you minimum business, but you can personalize it a bit by adding some testimonials from customers. Even if you haven't done pet sitting for them, they will know your character and how you relate to animals.

Also, you can offer an introductory, no obligation "meet and greet" for potential customers to get to know you.

Are there places where people regularly walk their dogs or a dog park where you can meet folks and pass out flyers?

Do you know vets who will recommend you?

Once you get a core of satisfied customers, the business will take off. With that in mind, consider a lower introductory rate perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs