Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 73,280 times

Advertisements

Hi! We've named our puppy Sasha, but then I see you can get even more creative with AKC naming. The sire is Rex von herman and dam is Ariet Vom Mulhan. Any suggestions? I thought about Patton in there somewhere (that was the name of a full breed GSD I had when I was real little...and also a street in Asheville since we just moved there).
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Normally the breeders name (vom or von typical for German but there are other suffixes) is last and the litter names start with a letter of the alphabet - for example, my dog Cyra was from a 'C" litter and the names were Cyra, Chess, Cronos, Caitlin, all of them vom Alyeska - etc.

Anyway that is typically how it is done for European lined dogs but you can do whatever you want.
Normally serious breeders title, x-ray, and genetic test their stock and your papers would come either already filled out and the puppy named or filled out leaving you the first initial of the litter designation and the kennel suffix on the form. There is also usually an ear tatoo.

Is this the dam of your puppy
Ariet Vom Mulhan pedigree information - German shepherd dog

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Registered name can be anything you like. Many kennels want their ID in it like all mine go out with KR then whatever name person chooses after. Some breeders are picky on who uses kennel name in ID also if not to be shown and such or if they have put limited registration and spay/neuter clause in contract.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM

That is what the dam looks like, but I don't believe it is her (different number). So I don't necessarily need to use the von or vom. This is my first time registering a puppy. The breeder didn't choose any of the name and I don't have to use the kennel name. I just don't know what to put after Sasha, we'll have to think on that one! Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Fun trying to name them and does not need name calling dog in registered name but not see why do that.

My first bloodhound named KR JASMINE NORTHERN DREAMS Jas for short. I wanted a bloodhound for 10 years so she was a dream come true.
Stud is KR QUIET STORM OF RIB MOUNTAIN aka Stormy and Rib Mountain was required by breeder as use him for stud. Quiet storm came from some thinking as during a SAR operation everything is up in the air like a storm never know what will happen and the Quiet is the peace after a find whether live or not.

I have one named KR RIP VAN WRINKLES as he had so many wrinkles on face when born not see where eyes were to be.

One of my rescues is RED RIVER GINGER named after area came from but is called Ginger only..

So think about personality or use of dog and put some names together and decide may be combo of ideas get you there but remember only so much space.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I was only trying to relate the '"standard" approach for GSDs as the naming approach is very much standard in breeds of Euro extraction.

This is probably not a dog from a working or show kennel as the breeder would probably spell it out, and you can do whatever you want.

I did not even bother to register my female since I knew when I got her she would never be bred. The only reason to register a dog to me is if you plan to bred or enter into AKC events.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Yeah, we're not going to breed her...but she may do agility or obedience events eventually.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
When I was trying to figure out what to name Bella, my sister's BF asked me if I was planning on breeding or showing her and I said no. He then asked why I was going to register her. My answer was because I want to. Madison Oaks is the kennel name and my breeder already had that on the papers. She is Madison Oaks Isabella Grace. Isabella because that was the only name my dd and I could agree on. Grace because she is sooo un-graceful.

Have fun with naming her.

One more thing..................got a picture?

Last edited by Jessiegee40; 06-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Had to ask for a picture :)

Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Naming AKC german shepherd-dsc_0038.jpg  

Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
OMG ....she is sooooooooooo cute. How old is she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs