Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

I'm renovating, almost done. Been living out of hotel for almost a year- not able to cook...no kitchen sink... Finally I'm getting the kitchen operational (refrigerator, stove, sink, etc....no table yet though)

I've gained 8 pounds but my 14 year old daughter has gained 20. It's all my fault, of course. It's gonna be 2-3 more weeks before my range arrives(and the electrician for the electrical) but we now have a refrigerator.

I thought about doing a NutriSystem or JennyCraig thing for these 2-3 weeks. Kinda hoping to jump start weightloss. My daughter came to me...if this was my idea it wouldn't work, of course.

With NutriSystem I can buy 28 days worth of foods and we both can split it for 14 days....just over 400 bucks.

How does the food taste and can this be microwaved? I noticed pancake mix and stuff- not gonna work as we have no way to cook- except a microwave. We have styrofoam plates/bowls/cups and plasticware.

JennyCraig I couldn't seem to find how to place an order online...maybe they require you to visit them to buy food.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

With NutriSystem I can buy 28 days worth of foods and we both can split it for 14 days....just over 400 bucks.
You can buy the same food in the grocery store for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the $14+/day you'll spend with the prepackaged stuff.

Depends on what your time is worth.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
Just do the calorie calculations and purchase meals at a local grocery store. If you had to, you could get by on jerky, cheese sticks, yogurt, peanuts, and a multivitamin.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
What about a george forman grill and lots of fresh fruits and veggies?
You could also do a lot of stews in a crock-pot.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
I wonder about the preservatives, etc. in those prepackaged foods. If you have the discipline to keep your portions low, I think you're better off cooking fresh food.

However, if you tend to cheat on portion size those prepackaged nutri-system meals are a good way to teach yourself to eat small portions.

ps. I think most of those foods need to be cooked. So if you don't have access to a microwave or a stove you couldn't eat most of the diet foods anyway. IMO, if you don't have access to a stove, salads, fruit, yogurt, and tuna sandwiches (made with yogurt not mayo) are the way to go.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
I was doing Nutrisystem along with my daughter-in-law. She met her goal of 30 pounds, but I lost about 13 pounds and then could not bear the thought of eating one more Nutrisystem entree. The food is terribly processed. Think about it. You get all your meals for an entire month all at once, and they're not frozen (though they do have some frozen entrees you can order). Some you can microwave, and some you can't. The portion sizes are very small, and you're expected to add in other stuff like salads, fresh fruit and veggies. There's just something wrong with meat that comes in a box and doesn't have to be refrigerated.

I never even opened my last shipment plus have a ton of food left from previous shipments. I don't know if I'll ever eat any of it. I agree with Caladium that you're better off preparing fresh food without all the sodium and preservatives.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
I wouldn't waste my money! Make a healthy menu using real food. Get a kitchen scale to weigh stuff. If anything, Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and South Beach meals are pretty good and cheaper than Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig. Maybe a combination of fresh food and frozen diet meals? The Lean Cuisine's are supposed to be preservative free, but they are very salty.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I was doing Nutrisystem along with my daughter-in-law. She met her goal of 30 pounds, but I lost about 13 pounds and then could not bear the thought of eating one more Nutrisystem entree. The food is terribly processed. Think about it. You get all your meals for an entire month all at once, and they're not frozen (though they do have some frozen entrees you can order). Some you can microwave, and some you can't. The portion sizes are very small, and you're expected to add in other stuff like salads, fresh fruit and veggies. There's just something wrong with meat that comes in a box and doesn't have to be refrigerated.

I never even opened my last shipment plus have a ton of food left from previous shipments. I don't know if I'll ever eat any of it. I agree with Caladium that you're better off preparing fresh food without all the sodium and preservatives.

I'd sell it on ebay or Craig's list!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Wouldn't Healthy Choice be a less expensive way to go than Jenny Craif? Are the meals really that much better from Jenny Craig ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss