Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 02:48 AM

9,025 posts, read 13,909,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Muscle weighs more than fat. )!
Sigh…….this again? This has been disproven decades ago yet folks keep repeating it.
A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weight the same, it’s just a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Also, how can the OP gain muscle when she isn’t lifting weights?
Cardio doesn’t build muscle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 04:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 6,447,010 times
Please be patient. You WILL be rewarded.

It takes at least 3 months of change for you to see a difference in yourself. It takes about 6 months before your family or friend really notice your weight loss.

I did lose 22 pounds in 4 months, but yes that first month I didn't really see much of any difference. Physiological changes take time when you make a consistent improvement in your diet.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 6,447,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Sigh…….this again? This has been disproven decades ago yet folks keep repeating it.
A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weight the same, it’s just a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Also, how can the OP gain muscle when she isn’t lifting weights?
Cardio doesn’t build muscle
Muscle tissue does weigh more than fatty tissue.

Cardio doesn't build muscle?

If you are a couch potato and you spend the next year bicycling on a daily basis, your leg muscles will increase in mass cycling away on a daily basis, versus just sitting on the couch all day. You won't bulk up with muscle without weight resistance training, but any time you use muscles you haven't used in a long time, will result in increased muscle mass. Cardio doesn't target muscle development, but you can't help but add some muscle any time you exercise over the long term after not doing so for years.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:56 AM

3,371 posts, read 9,235,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But we know what she meant.

A 5x5 slab of fat weighs less than a 5x5 slab of muscle.

If I said this bar of gold weighs more than this bag of feathers, everyone knows what was meant.
You are trying to compare apples and oranges. I said VOLUME.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:15 AM

48,710 posts, read 35,229,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
You are trying to compare apples and oranges. I said VOLUME.
Muscle is denser than fat. So muscles weigh more by volume.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2024, 07:56 AM

14,445 posts, read 11,922,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, 49 (perimenopausal or fully menopausal) and female. There's your answer! It's mine, too, unfortunately...
Not an answer. The laws of physics don't change when you become menopausal. I think women underestimate how much energy it was taking their body to maintain their reproductive system, and that when that stops but they don't change their diet or activity level, they will gain weight.

I'm almost 55, female, and perimenopausal, and I still weigh 120 because I eat less than I used to and exercise a lot.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 7,897,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Not an answer. The laws of physics don't change when you become menopausal. I think women underestimate how much energy it was taking their body to maintain their reproductive system, and that when that stops but they don't change their diet or activity level, they will gain weight.

I'm almost 55, female, and perimenopausal, and I still weigh 120 because I eat less than I used to and exercise a lot.
I'm 66, active, female and menopausal and I also eat less than I used to in order to maintain. I'm short and 1000 calories is about my normal now. I track daily on Cronometer and weigh foods. If I eat any extra carbs the scale shoots up immediately and it can take a long time to lose those pounds.

Obviously the loss of hormones affects me. My thyroid is healthy. My metabolism has slowed. And I know that stress is a huge factor for me and will stop/slow any weight loss.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:51 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Yes; obviously if you eat ALMOST NOTHING, you can maintain a lower weight as a post-menopausal woman. That's not really feasible for most of us.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:35 AM

14,445 posts, read 11,922,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes; obviously if you eat ALMOST NOTHING, you can maintain a lower weight as a post-menopausal woman. That's not really feasible for most of us.
I didn't say I eat "almost nothing." I eat somewhat less, and stay very active.

Thinking you would need to eat almost nothing and that's hopeless, so you might as well give up and gain weight, is a form of self-sabotage.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:00 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Thinking you would need to eat almost nothing and that's hopeless, so you might as well give up and gain weight, is a form of self-sabotage.
Some older women are okay with depriving themself, feeling hungry all the time, etc. in order to maintain their former weights. At present, anyway, I'm not. It's a choice. But to deny that this is what's necessary is just that: denial (since we're delving into psychology here).

Last edited by otterhere; 05-01-2024 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss