Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,940,800 times

Advertisements

still being sold. In listening to a radio program tonight, Jay Leno was M.C.'ing they got talking about Ayds...Is still being sold today? I never hear anything about it:

THE HIMMEL GROUP | Brands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM

22,076 posts, read 25,470,804 times
It just says its a candy with benzocaine.

Name alone probably killed it, that and the fact that there's no scientific basis that benzocaine actually works as an appetite suppressant or for weight loss. The scientific basis part isn't so problematic. There's always junk magic stuff to make you lose weight that sells.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 899,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It just says its a candy with benzocaine.

Name alone probably killed it, that and the fact that there's no scientific basis that benzocaine actually works as an appetite suppressant or for weight loss. The scientific basis part isn't so problematic. There's always junk magic stuff to make you lose weight that sells.
Aids was not around when Ayds were sold..My mom ate them in the 60's and early 70's. They tasted like candy......i rpthink that I got chubby eating them too. Lol!

Mae

Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM

I was NOT big into Ayds BUT they may have died out when phen phen arrived on the scene. There is a lot of stuff about some of the movie stars who used Ayds for weight loss. I know there is a negative history to phen phen.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
As a young teen my Aunt had Ayds for weight loss, she also was on Weight Watcher program. I think this is where she got the Ayds, its a chocolate candy. I use to steal them because it was a chocolate candy. It was very good. I never noticed if I felt any different. I would take two or three and go and sit out on the front steps. I was always very energetic way before eating those. I am still not sure the purpose of Ayds was for.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. DBell View Post
As a young teen my Aunt had Ayds for weight loss, she also was on Weight Watcher program. I think this is where she got the Ayds, its a chocolate candy. I use to steal them because it was a chocolate candy. It was very good. I never noticed if I felt any different. I would take two or three and go and sit out on the front steps. I was always very energetic way before eating those. I am still not sure the purpose of Ayds was for.
THey were suppose to suppress appetite. Just like the drug phen phen.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
THey were suppose to suppress appetite. Just like the drug phen phen.
Yeah, difference was fen-phen actually did work. That and fen-phen also had very high rates of heart valve problems.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM

89,127 posts, read 85,789,450 times
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Aids was not around when Ayds were sold..My mom ate them in the 60's and early 70's. They tasted like candy......i rpthink that I got chubby eating them too. Lol!

Mae
AIDS is what put Ayds out of business. The name suddenly meant something different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

The David Bowie trivia was interesting.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,569,439 times
I remember Ayds. I was a sugar addict and they were full of sugar. So of course I'd eat the entire box. They were nothing more than very expensive kraft caramels to me.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I remember Ayds. I was a sugar addict and they were full of sugar. So of course I'd eat the entire box. They were nothing more than very expensive kraft caramels to me.
The benzocaine is still odd to me. I look for benzo in cough drops. They tend to make my mouth (and more importantly) throat slightly numb. Not sure I'd want to eat a bunch of caramels that made my mouth go numb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss