Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:47 AM

605 posts, read 704,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Today is the third day that I have been on the diet and I lost almost 1.4 lbs already. The low carb diet works, its a matter of sticking to it. People who goes by the book and suggest losing only 1-2 lbs per week sometimes doesnt put all aspects into consideration. I am really overweight, so in the beginning I will lose a lot like others have suggested. Also, I have no control over how much weight I loss, honestly. I read a bunch of articles that says people should stick to losing 1-2 lbs per week. Ok, how do I do that if my body wants to lose 3 - 4 lbs instead of 1-2? Do I up my cal intake so that I stay within that 1-2 lb weight loss? I once inquired about this to my doc and his response was "given your weight, you could lose up to 20 lbs a months, and you're only required 1 meal" I told him about the water thing and how I felt nauseaus from it and he said "you can drink 4 small cups of water PER DAY instead". Does he sound legitimate or a little quack? I began drinking less water after seeing him and my husband noticed (we have a heat wave going on right now) and asked me why I am suddenly drinking less and need to stay hydrated because of the heat wave and I said "my doctor said its perfectly fine for me to drink 4 small cups of water" my husband rolled his eyes and said "well then he's crazy and you should think about switching doctors".
It is just the typical range suggested by most doctors that the average person lose 1-2 pounds a week. It is also a way to say lose steadily over a course of time, rather than trying to do some of these "crash diets" and try to lose a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time. Everyone is different, as you point out, however take the meaning behind the message to heart.

Also, please keep in mind that when you START any lifestyle change (I really hate the word "diet" used in a weight loss reference), some of the first few pounds will be water weight changes and my not signify your overall weight loss trend to come. You'll have to stick with your new lifestyle change over a course of several months to get a good assessment of your weight loss. Stay motivated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
The alternative is getting sick by not drinking water.... Kind of a catch 22

Old 06-27-2015, 01:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Today is the third day that I have been on the diet and I lost almost 1.4 lbs already. The low carb diet works, its a matter of sticking to it. People who goes by the book and suggest losing only 1-2 lbs per week sometimes doesnt put all aspects into consideration. I am really overweight, so in the beginning I will lose a lot like others have suggested. Also, I have no control over how much weight I loss, honestly. I read a bunch of articles that says people should stick to losing 1-2 lbs per week. Ok, how do I do that if my body wants to lose 3 - 4 lbs instead of 1-2? Do I up my cal intake so that I stay within that 1-2 lb weight loss? I once inquired about this to my doc and his response was "given your weight, you could lose up to 20 lbs a months, and you're only required 1 meal" I told him about the water thing and how I felt nauseaus from it and he said "you can drink 4 small cups of water PER DAY instead". Does he sound legitimate or a little quack? I began drinking less water after seeing him and my husband noticed (we have a heat wave going on right now) and asked me why I am suddenly drinking less and need to stay hydrated because of the heat wave and I said "my doctor said its perfectly fine for me to drink 4 small cups of water" my husband rolled his eyes and said "well then he's crazy and you should think about switching doctors".
- Definitely wouldn't hurt to go get a second opinion.

- As I said before, shoot for 5-6 clear urinations a day. If you're doing that, you should be adequately hydrated.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Here's a really good tip about drinking water - if you're thirsty drink it and if you're not then don't.If you're taking lots of exercise then you should be feeling thirsty but there really isn't a right or wrong about fluid intake except that more is better than less.

As for your diet you have to accept that the 1.4lbs you have lost already is almost all fluid and one decent meal could put that weight loss back on immediately.It is the nature of low carb diets.

Stop thinking in terms of days and plan for the rest of your life otherwise the same eating habits that saw you become overweight will simply cause the weight to return and then some.Work out a healthy eating option that ensures you're never hungry - eat lots of things with fewer calories such as green vegetables,salads,fish,grilled chicken,grilled lean steaks and allow yourself a treat once in a while.

DO NOT DIET. You are wasting your time. Teach yourself to eat healthy - your body and you deserve it.And seriously up the amount of exercise you are taking. An hour a day walking should be the minimum and more when you have time.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
As for your diet you have to accept that the 1.4lbs you have lost already is almost all fluid and one decent meal could put that weight loss back on immediately.It is the nature of low carb diets.
Actually, depending on how much she cut her calorie intake by, it's possible that she lost close to a pound of pure fat. I'd venture that of that 1.4 pounds, at minimum she lost .6-.7 lbs of fat.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:59 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Or she might have lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 1.6 lbs of water. The key word here being "she". Women's bodies fluctuate WAY more than men's.

Bottom line is, no one can speak with authority about a person's situation when they're only hearing bits of information on an anonymous forum. Which is why it doesn't make sense to me that some people are so insistent on crapping on other people's weight loss efforts. But hey, whatever floats the boat and feeds the ego.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Actually, depending on how much she cut her calorie intake by, it's possible that she lost close to a pound of pure fat. I'd venture that of that 1.4 pounds, at minimum she lost .6-.7 lbs of fat.
So by your definition if she put that weight back on overnight which is perfectly possible the body forms nearly a pound of fat overnight ?
Now I know you're talking ill-informed nonsense.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
So by your definition if she put that weight back on overnight which is perfectly possible the body forms nearly a pound of fat overnight ?
Now I know you're talking ill-informed nonsense.
Nope. She could definitely replenish her depleted glycogen stores though.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM

218 posts, read 287,828 times
I used to be very thin until my early 40's. My whole life I have been conscious of my diet and weight.
I gained 25 stubborn pounds over the period of two years. I tried everything to get rid of the weight. I was eating healthy and exercising, but the pounds would not budge.

I used to be a firm believer of calories in/calories burned as the main dictator of weight. I scoffed at people doing a low carb diet or any other get thin quick scheme. In my opinion, calories were king.

In desperation, I started the atkins diet. I lost most of the excess weight over a couple of month period. I was never hungry. I was eating MORE calories than ever. And I began sleeping a lot better.

I have been on the diet for two years now. After the first 9 months or so, I gave myself a cheat meal twice a month. After about 15 months, I allowed one cheat meal per week.

I have managed to successfully maintain my weight and my blood lab results are phenomenal. (I also suffered from chronic anemia, so I am checked regularly)

Recently, my daughter came home from college and I was cheating a bit more. I gained 5 pounds. So, I am back on the diet more strictly. Unfortunately, I am dealing with some cravings that I have not experienced in over two years! In a few days, I will feel back to normal.

If you can try to stick it out on the low carb plan, I think you will probably see great results.

I believe water is crucial to good health so I drink at least a gallon per day. I drink 16 ounces of water as soon as I wake up. I keep water on my night table to drink when I wake up at night. I probably drink 8-12oz overnight.

I also drink infused water. It has a really good flavor. The mint adds a mild sweetness. The water helps to eliminate bloating and aids digestion. You might prefer it to normal water.

1 gallon of water
1 cucumber sliced
2 inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced
2 lemons juiced
2-3 sprigs of mint

Mix all ingredients in a pitcher and refrigerate. It's best when it sits overnight. You could sip on it throughout the day.

Good luck on your weight loss. Just give it a little time and it will work out for you.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
SO I guess all the narrow downs to having self control and determination...which I need to work on because 3 days felt like a life time. Its this feeling of never feeling full and always mildly hungry.
But it's OK to feel that mild hunger, and you can learn to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss