Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times

Advertisements

Country Music Exposure Linked To Suicide - The Naked Scientists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
They needed a study for this?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I've lived most of my life in the American south, and rarely eat fried foods, organ meats, "gizzards" - or tea sweetened with sugar.

Must be someone else's "southern" diet.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived most of my life in the American south, and rarely eat fried foods, organ meats, "gizzards" - or tea sweetened with sugar.

Here is what Wikipedia lists as a traditional Southern Diet:

Cuisine of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A traditional Southern meal is pan-fried chicken, field peas (such as black-eyed peas), greens (such as collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, or poke salad), mashed potatoes, cornbread or corn pone, sweet tea, and a dessert that is usually a pie (sweet potato, chess, shoofly, pecan, and peach are traditional southern pies), or a cobbler (peach, blackberry, or mixed berry are traditional cobblers).[citation needed] At least a dozen soups also have their origins in the American South.[citation needed]
Some other foods and beverages commonly associated with the South are grits, country ham, hushpuppies, Southern styles of succotash, mint juleps, chicken fried steak, buttermilk biscuits (may be served with butter, jelly, preserves, honey, gravy or sorghum molasses), pimento cheese, boiled or baked sweet potatoes, pit barbecue (especially ribs), fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, bread pudding, okra (fried, steamed, stewed, sauteed, or pickled), butter beans, pinto beans, and black eyed peas.
Quote:
A study led by Suzanna Judd, a nutritional epidemiologist at the University of Alabama, found that people who ate Southern food six times per week had about a 41 percent higher risk of stroke, compared with people who just ate Southern food once per month.[5]
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/ar...-surprised.htm

Quote:
The study, conducted by a team of researchers led by Suzanna Judd, a nutritional epidemiologist at the University of Alabama, is the first large-scale effort to look at how a diet of fried chicken, bacon, ham and sweet teas can raise the possibility of stroke. Judd and colleagues medically assessed 20,000 patients aged 45 and older. The patients then took surveys and answered questions about their eating habits and health in 2003 and 2007. Although people who ate traditional Southern diets lived across the U.S., about two-thirds of those involved in the study were located in the southeastern portion of the U.S.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-11-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not every Southerner eats fried foods everyday, nor do we all cook like Paula Deen. And "organ meats" are just nasty IMO, most younger people won't eat that.

As for sweet tea, on a sweetness scale of 0-10 (zero being totally unsweet), I make mine about a 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Yeah that's all well and good, but the article isn't talking about you. It isn't talking about "true" southerners, or "all" southerners. It isn't even really talking about southerners, exclusively. It's talking about the variety of foods known to fall into the category of "southern foods," and the risk of eating lots of it.

IF YOU ARE - someone who eats lots of these foods, then you will be at risk of stroke.

IF YOU ARE NOT - someone who eats lots of these foods, then the article doesn't apply to you.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah that's all well and good, but the article isn't talking about you. It isn't talking about "true" southerners, or "all" southerners. It isn't even really talking about southerners, exclusively. It's talking about the variety of foods known to fall into the category of "southern foods," and the risk of eating lots of it.

IF YOU ARE - someone who eats lots of these foods, then you will be at risk of stroke.

IF YOU ARE NOT - someone who eats lots of these foods, then the article doesn't apply to you.
You're right, it isn't. That's why it's a load.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Both of the quotes are presenting exceptions/challenges to the absolute rule, so they aren't examples of the "no true scotsman" fallacy. Those who respond to a challenge by modifying the subject would actually be committing the fallacy.

Here's the form, to clarify:

1. Absolute rule: All southerners eat P.
2. Challenge: Q is a southerner but does not eat P.
3. Fallacy (informal): All true southerners eat P.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
^Thank you, I was going to call her on that.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
That's strange because I considered Colorado to be among the leanest. Do you think findings like the ones below are misrepresentative?
Just posting my personal observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss