Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,567,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, I stock up on Healthy Choice entree frozen microwave meals when they're on sale for only $2.00 each. They have around 400 calories each, and are low in sodium. The pasta portion is fortified, so it has plenty of nutritional value per meal. It's not gourmet dining, but it's perfect for my 15 minute "lunch" breaks at work. I can have 1 lunch per day, 5 days per week, for only $10. Most of it is chicken in around 4 different varieties but once in awhile I'll get the shrimp just for a change of pace. A different taste every day for lunch, filled with nutrition, low calorie and sodium, for only $2.

I -could- bring a PBJ on whole wheat every day to lunch, and that'd cost less than $2. But it wouldn't have as much nutritional value as these cheapo Healthy Choice meals, not as filling, and would have way too much sugar.
I do the same thing..stocking up on the HC entrees or Lean Cuisines and I use coupons if I have them. I have to watch out for sodium and some of the meals are packed with it. And I try to bring a piece of fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxedoutbrattpower View Post
Ugh, who in God's name would feel happy about a basket of food that contained wheat bread and a can of corn. Just no way in hell.
Yeah this kind of threw me, the majority of his shopping list:

Quote:
Whole Wheat bread
small cans of tuna
banana bunch
small cans of kidney beans
small cans of corn
Romaine lettuce
Bag of frozen chicken breasts (could last more than two weeks)
The wheat bread, I don't see a problem with it. If it's whole grain, like sprouted wheat from the bakery, it's a perfectly suitable form of fiber - as long as the person eating it doesn't have any digestive problems with wheat.

Cans of tuna - not particularly healthy. A PIECE of tuna - more healthy. A can isn't exactly UNhealthy either, but I wouldn't put it on my list of "healthy" foods, if I was trying to set an example by using my own shopping list as evidence.
Cans of kidney beans, cans of corn - same thing. Canned ANYTHING is not an example of "healthy" anything. Especially corn, which has negligible nutritional value in the first place, let alone vacuum sealed in a can.
Bag of frozen chicken breasts - if it's organic chicken breasts, or free-range, then I guess you could assume it's probably healthy. But the usual raw chicken breasts you find in the grocer's freezer is treated with chicken broth (meaning, cooked chicken broth has been exposed to uncooked chicken before freezing) and "seasonings" and salt. Also, the amount of sodium and cholesterol per serving is pretty high - especially if you consider that most people won't eat only 4 ounces of uncooked chicken and call it a full serving.

In fact, the only "healthy" items on that list, are the bananas and the lettuce. The other things I would consider either "neither healthy nor unhealthy," or "not recommended if you're trying to eat healthy foods."

Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:

The wheat bread, I don't see a problem with it. If it's whole grain, like sprouted wheat from the bakery, it's a perfectly suitable form of fiber - as long as the person eating it doesn't have any digestive problems with wheat.
Thats all standard on my 2-3 week "cutting" diet. FYI, I was talking about WHOLE GRAIN bread!!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Whole grain bread is great. There's this bread that Big Y offers in the bakery section, called Pittsfield Rye Company. The type I love is the Berkshire Bread, which is this dill-wheat-honey-rye-oat-some other kind of thing amazingly mind-numbingly awesome slice of heaven. With or without butter, toasted lightly. I've been hesitant to even make a sandwich out of it, it seems like it might ruin the taste. I don't know how you could possibly improve on perfection.

One slice a day, two if I'm carbo-jonesing.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:

Cans of tuna - not particularly healthy. A PIECE of tuna - more healthy. A can isn't exactly UNhealthy either, but I wouldn't put it on my list of "healthy" foods, if I was trying to set an example by using my own shopping list as evidence.
Cans of kidney beans, cans of corn - same thing. Canned ANYTHING is not an example of "healthy" anything. Especially corn, which has negligible nutritional value in the first place, let alone vacuum sealed in a can.
Bag of frozen chicken breasts - if it's organic chicken breasts, or free-range, then I guess you could assume it's probably healthy. But the usual raw chicken breasts you find in the grocer's freezer is treated with chicken broth (meaning, cooked chicken broth has been exposed to uncooked chicken before freezing) and "seasonings" and salt. Also, the amount of sodium and cholesterol per serving is pretty high - especially if you consider that most people won't eat only 4 ounces of uncooked chicken and call it a full serving.

In fact, the only "healthy" items on that list, are the bananas and the lettuce. The other things I would consider either "neither healthy nor unhealthy," or "not recommended if you're trying to eat healthy foods."
I dunno about the bananas being all that healthy; they're mostly sugar, little fiber. You hear about the potassium content, but you can get that in all kinds of fruits and veggies without all the sugar. Most people eat overbred Cavendish bananas, too, instead of the other varieties that are out there. More flavorful, IMO, than Cavendish.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
I spend $30 bucks on various foodstuffs to lay off the cut fast-food cravings from 4-5 days/week, to just 1-2 days/week.
My palate is boring to some, but delicious to me.
For typical meals every day of the week, it's honey-nut wheat bread with a slice of cheese, romaine lettuce, tomato, and packaged sliced turkey meat.
Other nights it's Zatarains rice with Tapatio, sliced sausage, and canned vegs in the small rice cooker.
I do all this in the sleeper-berth of the truck and although food-expenses have come down noticeably, that was never really a significant chunk of my money anyway.

Now if I'm on a tight run, or have a craving for something else, then maybe "get my grub on", but not everyday like some truckers.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,293 times
The Sunflower Farmers Market by my house has all kinds of squash right now for $.88/lb. I can buy a big 3 lb Butternut squash and feed my family of 4 on that (or just myself 4X). I throw in a tossed veggie salad on the side and a big mixed fruit salad for dessert. The assorted leafy greens are currently $.99/a bunch. I usually buy 3 different kinds at once. The green bell peppers and cucumbers are 2 for $.99. A 1 lb bag of carrots are on sale 2 for $.99 as well.

From Sam's Club or Costco you can buy a huge bag of frozen, fresh-cut assorted fruit (pineapple, strawberry, mango, peaches) for about $6.00. You just take out the serving that you need and thaw it. No fuss, no mess, and it can last a long time. Same thing with the frozen mixed veggies. You can steam some for your meal or use a bunch in stir-fry. Very cheap.

Also at the big box stores you can buy other seasonal fresh foods in bulk for a couple of bucks and eat off that for a week or two. That's how I buy my lemons, apples, potatoes, pears, kiwi, etc. I freeze my $.52/lb bananas because I buy about 3 lbs at once. My family LOVES bananas and I can't buy enough of those for some reason. I peel a bunch of them, cut them in to bite size pieces, roll them up in wax paper and put them in a freezer bag for later.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that are a staple at my house. None of the above is "organic" either, but it's healthier, cheaper food. IMO, I think eating greasy hamburgers, buying large bags of Doritos and cases of carbonated, sugary drinks are much, much more expensive. Especially in the long run when you have to take antacids, high blood pressure meds, diabetes meds, etc just to offset the damage done to your body from your terrible diet to begin with.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
That looks really close to my grocery list, except I buy the "lite" whole wheat and a whole lot of vegetables and fruit (not organic). Good post.
Sometimes buying lite is not always better. I've noticed that its either higher is sugars or salts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Your lunch menu is icky. And you are eating the same thing everyday. I don't really care for tuna.

The cost of unhealthy food vs healthy food is pretty much the same. if anything, organic foods are very pricey. Fast food will also keep you from getting hungry throughout the day. With your itty bitty bland meal you will just end up hungry.

With $20.00 you could also buy fast food easily. McDonalds has a dollar menu just in case you forgot. You could get 2 mcdoubles and a small fry for less than $5. A big mac meal will cost around $5 as well. $9 for a quarter pounder meal seems a little high.

KFC also has big boxes for $5 that will keep you satisfied and feeling great the rest of the afternoon. I think you get more for your money at chicken places. Wendy & burger king also have cheap, filling options as well. Subway is healthy and are famous for the $5 foot longs. You can pack your water or diet soda with you. Maybe a 50 c bag of potato chips as well. With fast food it saves the hassles of the food melting and getting smashed inside your purse while you are at school or work. With fast food you get a fresh hot meal (most) of the time.
Seriously?!?! First, if you eat a complex carb and protien each in serving sizes you do not get hungry. There has been times I get hungry after eating fast food...and also feel pretty crappy. Oh...here's something that will make you think twice about that McDonalds meal too! Biochemísta.com: Science/Medicine
I challenge you to grab that bag of potato chips and really research the ingredients (you know the ones that you cant pronounce) and then tell me if you like what you see.
Subway has HFCS in their bread so its really not that healthy. Diet soda..yeah just as crappy for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
If i lost 100lbs I would still be obese, I am just trying to lower my bp.
If you want to lower your BP cut out the processed food (like McDonalds, subway etc because they are FULL of salt). A little salt is a good thing but too much is bad. Try cutting it all out. I have had a container of salt that I've had for almost 2 years now. I might use 2 tablespoons of salt a week in meals that I cook for my family. I actually have a recipe for Taco Seasoning that does not have salt in it at all. Ms. Dash has a wonderful line of different spices that dont have salt in them that are great. Also use a bunch of spices!
Its basically going to boil down to you reading your labels and becoming aware of what the ingredients are.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
corn has fiber, and vitamins and minerals. As part of well rounded diet its fine. DW and I get it fresh, in season. If you are on a tight budget, and getting it out of season, canned can be part of your diet.

In general with canned, thats the way to go cheaper. Of course you need to watch your sodium. You're probably better off eating canned tuna, canned corn, and canned veggies than getting big macs and fries even in terms of sodium, and almost certainly for everything else.

bananas contain starch as well as sugar. They also contain several micronutrients, including B6, C, and manganese, as well as potassium. they have been associated in some studies with reduced risks of certain cancers. I believe they can play a good role in a healthy diet.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-08-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
One thing no one seem to have pointed out on this thread is that fast food is FAST, not just because you buy it and don't have to prepare it, but you can buy it when you are out and can't get home to prepare a meal.

You are absolutely right. And yes, we DO sometimes eat at fast food places, esp when traveling. One can TRY to plan ahead, pack lunch whatever. We dont always. Kudos to the superior folks who always do.

But you CAN make healthier choices, even at those places. Grilled chicken at McDs and skip the fries. A turkey sub on whole wheat with lots of veggies at Subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss