Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,750,317 times

Advertisements

I have been eating carbs for breakfast for years, usually without gaining weight. But some days I don't know what happens and I gain weight. Happened recently - went from 161 to 162.4 next day. Then did a 32 mile road bike workout and it went down to 161.2 next 2 days. But from 2009 I didn't workout much so I slowly gained weight from 145 lbs to 161 lbs.

Now I plan to lose weight this Spring and Summer. Will road bike and weight lift on my off bike days. But after reading the Atkins diet book I plan to put a little Atkins in my diet on the days I workout and after. Normal days I'll eat carbs like cookies and cakes.

So what can I eat for a low carb breakfast? I don't know of many choices besides egg and meat.

I found low carb drinks in unsweetened Almond milk and instant coffee made with Aldi sugar free French Vanila Creamer. I will sweeten the Almond milk with Splenda.

I'm slowly accumulating low carb food for my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,290,739 times
Any low carb thing you'd eat for any other meal would be fine for breakfast. I personally tend to eat eggs, but this morning had leftover rotisserie chicken. Some days I have cottage cheese (I like it with tomato), sometimes a protein bar. Honestly, I usually don't want to work too hard for breakfast, so I like something I can grab and nom.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Any low carb thing you'd eat for any other meal would be fine for breakfast.
yeah, there is no real reason why you have to eat "breakfast foods" as your first meal of the day. have some chicken.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,480 times
I used to always eat tuna either with a salad or as dip for cucumbers. One of my favorites. Not a big egg fan. BLT salads are good, too. One of my favorites is a ham, cream cheese, pickle spear roll up. Lay pickle on a piece of ham that has cream cheese spread on it and roll like sushi and cut in slices. Really good!!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 PM

I looked at Atkins cookies, pancakes, and brownies from Atkins Recipes - All Recipes but they use soya powder. I saw on the internet that someone tried soya powder in their recipes and didn't like the taste.

I was wondering about oatmeal and I'd eat it with Splenda but it's not low carb. But it's a complex carbohydrate that digest slowly so no blood sugar spike so maybe it might be ok, even if it's not low carb.
Is Oatmeal Low Carb? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Nutrition Information On Oatmeal | LIVESTRONG.COM

I guess I would have to eat sausage and eggs on my workout days in the morning.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
I told you in your other thread, it's the SUGAR and FAT that's so horrible for you to eat as your choice of breakfast food. A little carb to start your day is OKAY, if you're only dealing with a few pounds here and there. But eating 5 teaspoons of sugar for breakfast, which is what's in your peanutbutter cookie from Aldi's, is going to sabotage any attempt you make to keep your weight down.

Break open an egg. Use the bigger bit of shell to contain water from the tap. (In other words, add half an egg-shell of water). Add a bit of cracked black pepper. Wisk well; the water will make it easier to accumulate lots of air bubbles in the egg, which is what makes the egg fluffy and light tasting.

On the skillet, put a half-teaspoon of butter. Real actual dairy lightly salted butter. Not whipped butter; that's mostly air. You need the butter. It's just a tiny bit of fat, a little calorie, and the taste that makes everything come together perfectly.

Once the butter is melted, add some THIN slices of fresh shallot. Thin enough that as soon as they starts to sizzle in the melted butter, you can see through them. Then add a handful of sliced fresh button mushrooms or baby portabella mushrooms. See, that's why you need the butter. You're sauteeing this stuff.

Then, put the egg mixture into the skillet. Wait for the egg to dry on the edges and start bubbling up from the underside in the middle, before attempting to turn the egg. Personally, I like my eggs well done so I turn the pilot on medium, and wait for most of the egg to dry, not just the edges, and I flip directly from the skillet without having to wash a spatula.

Once it's flipped over, add a few leaves of well-drained raw baby spinach, and a half slice of swiss cheese to one half of the exposed side. Turn the stove off, get your plate out. By that time, the down-side of the egg is done, and you can now fold the omelet over onto your plate, with the cheese and spinach melting inside the crescent.

There's your lower (not low, just lower) carb breakfast. It's got a little fat, a bit of carbs, a bit of cholesterol..but it's also LOADED with nutrition. It's colorful, it's cheerful, it's delicious. It has zero sugar, which means you can now add a real honest to goodness teaspoon of sugar to your coffee if you really want to. And it will fill you a LOT more than a cookie that has almost no nutrition, and is mostly sugar and carbs.

Also, oatmeal as you said, is complex carbohydrates. Which is a whole lot different from bleached white wheat flour. But you don't want to eat the instant crap, which is loaded with - crap. The "quick oats" are nukeable. And instead of splenda, which is also crap - it's okay to use a teaspoon of brown sugar, which has molasses, which is good for you, and brown sugar has fewer calories than white sugar, and tastes better in oatmeal anyway. Eat a LITTLE oatmeal. Not a half cup dried, but instead, 1/3 cup or even 1/4 cup dried. And don't put any milk in it - you nuke it with water, add a teaspoon of brown sugar, a few dried cranberries for a tart treat, and you're good to go for the whole morning.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I'd try oatmeal with unsweetened Almond milk and Splenda.

I don't mind eating a cookie, cake or brownie for breakfast if the next day I don't gain weight. I enjoyed tasty food! But on workout days and the day after I will abstain from these foods for weight loss temporarily.

Enjoying good tasting food keeps me happy. I don't need abs or an 8% body fat to keep me happy. As long as I can fit into all the clothes I bought when 145 lbs I'm happy. So now being 161 lbs is stretching it but I still can fit most of my clothes. I just need a low weight buffer to keep my clothes size.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,612 times
I like poached eggs & a Dukan pancake made with 3 tablespoons of oat bran. I poaching 2 eggs then put egg whites or a whole egg in the oat bran then cook it in a pan. Filling & delicious.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times
Lots of suggestions for eggs, but none for just egg whites.. they have some flavored ones that actually cover up the lack of taste egg whites normally have. Add some ham and/or low-fat or fat-free shredded cheese and it's a pretty tasty breakfast. Salsa is another good way to add some taste without adding too many carbs. Just remember that the tomato is a fruit, so it has more sugar and you'll need to use it in moderation.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
A whole 3-inch diameter ripe red tomato has a whopping 5 grams of sugar in it. That's just over a teaspoon. It also has 7 grams of carbohydrates. There are 15 grams in ONE carb - this means a tomato has just under a half carb in it. It has 39% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C in it - and 30% of vitamin A. It's very low in sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and has a small amount of iron, protein, and calcium. It's safe to say you can eat a whole ripe red tomato in a day's time, without worrying about it ruining your diet. It's safe to say, in fact, that one whole ripe red tomato in a day's time is probably among one of the best whole foods you can include on your daily menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss