Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,760 times

Advertisements

Am article that addresses the problem of insulin resistance, a problem for most Blood Type Os and everyone over the age 35:

A reversal on carbs - Los Angeles Times

But a growing number of top nutritional scientists blame excessive carbohydrates — not fat — for America's ills. They say cutting carbohydrates is the key to reversing obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and hypertension........

To understand what's behind the upheaval takes some basic understanding of food and metabolism.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,766,459 times
That's good article thanks for sharing it. I was just reading in Readers Digest today about how low carbs help obesity. People and the medical profession thought the Atkins diet caused heart attacks but they have been finding out over the years how wrong they were. Atkins got it right just not the numbers part or exact science. It makes sense just look at McDonalds and all the other fast foods they are loaded with carbs. the sugary kind in the bread.

I was told once you have diabetes you always have it. It's just under control when losing weight but it doesn't go away so I have been told. There is one medication that diabetics will always have to take because no one can live without any sugar at all completely and the body needs help because of the pancreas. It's hard to explain and very difficult for me to even understand myself. I have heard of type O before but I keep forgetting what type O is. I have seen people lose weight like you wouldn't believe being on the Atkins diet but that's an extreme diet to follow. I think maybe the South Beach Diet is similar thought.

I guess this part is what I mean with it never really going away or being cured of diabetes. At what point is it too late? would that be when type O and type 2 have take insulin shots like type 1 does? It takes the load or stress off the pancreas and improves the condition but it doesn't make it go away or cure the disease. So many people say oh lose the weight and the diabetes goes away...you're cured. Baloney it's not gone or cured but at least under control and much healthier.

Quote:
"The good news," adds Willett, "is that based on what we know, almost everyone can avoid Type 2 diabetes. Avoiding unhealthy carbohydrates is an important part of that solution." For those who are newly diagnosed, he adds, a low-carb diet can take the load off the pancreas before it gets too damaged and improve the condition — reducing or averting the need for insulin or other diabetes meds.
BTW, I am now suspecting that diet soda with or without splenda contributes to the craving for sweets. I know I know there's no carbs so it's won't affect the sugar levels and so on but I really do think it has a lot to do with obesity simply because everyone I see who drinks it is either obese or over weight. Although it could be the sodium in the soda too.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,078,212 times
A great book that explains it very well is Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat." Every single overweight person should read it. And their doctors.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Am article that addresses the problem of insulin resistance, a problem for most Blood Type Os and everyone over the age 35:

A reversal on carbs - Los Angeles Times

But a growing number of top nutritional scientists blame excessive carbohydrates — not fat — for America's ills. They say cutting carbohydrates is the key to reversing obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and hypertension........

To understand what's behind the upheaval takes some basic understanding of food and metabolism.....
Notice this says excessive carbs are to blame. Not any or all carbs, or even a normal amount of carbs. Excessive. Meaning, if you're eating too much of this thing, it's bad for you.

I'd say that's a pretty d'oh kind of statement. Sort of like when the government decreed that hot coffee is hot.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,450,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
A great book that explains it very well is Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat." Every single overweight person should read it. And their doctors.

Thank you for the rec, Claud!!
I cliked ...and my awesome public library has it on the way.
If Massachusetts has one darn amazing thing, public libraries it is.
I am yet to order a book and for them not to have it.
And I read a lot and widely.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Hmmmmmm..... sounds just like a lot of other low carb regimes on the market. The Dukan Diet, for example, recommends no more than 1 piece of fruit a day.....for life! I would not need to read this since I have already practiced this for over a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,692,405 times
I think we all know this by now, yes? Avoid the 'white carbs' such as white bread, potatoes, all things made with white flour, pasta, etc. Problem is, these are among America's favorite foods.

A new Dunkin' Donuts just opened near my house...within their four walls are white carb products teamed with sugar and grease. Perfection! Heck, they may as well sell 'em with pre-packaged insulin.

I want equal opportunity fast food. I want a Broccoli Hut or a Hummos House.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Jennifer Hudson recently showed up at the Oscars looking very svelte... says she did not eat carbs at all for an unspecified amount of time....

Jennifer Hudson: ?I didn?t eat any carbs until today? - International Business Times Blogs

http://mo-am.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Oscars-2011-Worst-Dressed-Jennifer-Hudson.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
Jennifer Hudson looks stunning and she has obviously had a very successful weight loss. Hopefully she'll be able to keep her new svelte figure for many years to come.

I've lost weight on low carb diets (but not no carb!) before and I know that they are not easy plans to follow long term. I wonder how many carbs she is eating now.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-04-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
BTW, I am now suspecting that diet soda with or without splenda contributes to the craving for sweets. I know I know there's no carbs so it's won't affect the sugar levels and so on but I really do think it has a lot to do with obesity simply because everyone I see who drinks it is either obese or over weight. Although it could be the sodium in the soda too.
I drink Diet Coke and I'm skinny as a rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss