Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,755 times

Advertisements

How does a person work off the fat in the abdomen? It seems no matter what I do, my stomach is always fat. I mean, I am fat, but even when I exercise and eat better it won't go away. My figure would be perfect if it weren't for my tummy!

When I wake up, it looks like "|)" and after I eat or even drink like two cups of something, it looks like "|))". Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,948 times
I'd like an answer to that one too!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
ive been told its impossible to target the fat itself, but that excersizes that tone the mid section can help somewhat diminish the look, belly dance, hula hoop zumba, essentially anything that gets the waist moving.

i was also told by my dr that if your slim everywhere else but seem to be round in the belly and it expands frequnelty it could be bloating, increase probiotics going to the area (good live active cuture yoghurt) and avoid salty foods...

women as a whole tend to be more prone to hold onto hip and abdominal fat aparently because of the way were built/programed

Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Fat always comes off of my stomach last. I hate it! But with diet and exercise it should come off eventually...

Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,755 times
Thank you all.

@ foxywench
Drats! Well, I think there is zumba at the gym located at my uni. so I will try that. And I am off to walmart tomorrow to buy some yogurt. It would probably be best to go to a speciality health food store for it, but I am not a resident of this town and don't know of any stores. :S Thank you.

@ springfieldva
Yeah, I have mostly been running since I couldn't find any thing at the gym that targets the tummy. I hope it does eventually. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
zumba is fun! ive got 2 left feet and even i enjoy it lol.

any organic yogurt will do as long as its got live active cultures (you can also get probiotic pills from most vitamine stores if your not a yoghurt fan)

Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM

427 posts, read 550,402 times
Please, allow Grandpa to chime in here!

What you need to rid yourself of belly fat is proper nutrition and cardio, and some strength training.

Remember, nothing alone will work. You can do the crunches and this and that until the cows come home (got cows?!), but you'll never rid yourself of any wnwanted fat without the proper diet.

Strength training to build a little muscle, which makes it easier to burn stomach fat. Most of the experts agree that the best way to lose abdominal fat is to eat right and use a combination of weight training and aerobic exercise.

And generally, you need to take in fewer calories than you burn.

And, very important, no junk food!!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
I am around 185-190 lbs now, and still have, to me, a bit too much on the belly and thighs.

So strength training will help redistribute the weight? And good advice on how to start this? I'd like to improve my arm and back muscles (for lifting and stuff, not as an aesthetic thing, more just to improve arm and back strength). Any good advice for an absolute beginner?

(maybe this should be it's own thread?)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

106 posts, read 287,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
How does a person work off the fat in the abdomen? It seems no matter what I do, my stomach is always fat. I mean, I am fat, but even when I exercise and eat better it won't go away. My figure would be perfect if it weren't for my tummy!

When I wake up, it looks like "|)" and after I eat or even drink like two cups of something, it looks like "|))". Help!
HIIT workouts and strength training
Eat a nutrient dense, whole foods, toxin-free diet with plenty of healthy saturated fats, moderate protein, low carb
Avoid grains, excess fructose and linoleic acid (vegetable oils and omega-6).

your body will burn the saturated fats as energy. saturated fat will not give you heart disease. it will not make you fatter. it will keep you cells robust, as it dos not oxidize in the body and therefore cancer is highly unlikely, especially if you are eating healthy sources of anitoxidants.

if you already have a perfect figure except for your tummy, then you will shed the tummy fat easily as it will be the only excess fat left to drop.

if you've never heard advice like this before, do some research before you go thinking i'm a nutcase. you'll be glad you did.

Whole Health Source

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/

all the best to you,
jack k

Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I am around 185-190 lbs now, and still have, to me, a bit too much on the belly and thighs.

So strength training will help redistribute the weight? And good advice on how to start this? I'd like to improve my arm and back muscles (for lifting and stuff, not as an aesthetic thing, more just to improve arm and back strength). Any good advice for an absolute beginner?

(maybe this should be it's own thread?)
You could start by using some of the gym circuit machines that work your large muscles - that will help to boost up your metabolism. A trainer at the gym can help you with the machine settings and they can give you basic info on proper form - most gyms offer this instruction to members once for free. I think it's well worth doing.

Once you've got that started, you can move on to target specific muscles using both free weights and circuit machines (you may want to hire a trainer to get you started). Pilates, yoga, push ups, pull ups are also good for building strength.

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-21-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss