Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 05:38 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times

Advertisements

kind of off topic -- but a plug for eggs. they are PACKED with nutrition. cook them as lightly as possible to preserve it. raw would be best, but i dont have the guts to do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 05:42 PM

505 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
kind of off topic -- but a plug for eggs. they are PACKED with nutrition. cook them as lightly as possible to preserve it. raw would be best, but i dont have the guts to do that
Indeed. Likewise.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:45 PM

30,356 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I was diagnosed a "Type 2" diabetic a year ago after I had an accident that put me in the hospital. At that time my sugars were very high, but doctors attributed at least part of that to all of the issues I was dealing with.

Anyway, since that time I have been taking a reasonably small dose of basal insulin (Lantus) every day, about 24 units, split a.m. and p.m. I have put on a significant amount of weight since starting the insulin, and asked my doctor about it. I do feel it could be in part due to not being able to exercise as much as I used to (before accident) and maybe I am eating more without realizing it. However, he agrees the insulin could be contributing to my weight gain.

So bottom line, his advice for diet seems to go against the grain of many "health gurus" out there. He feels I should be eating more frequent smaller meals; as opposed to the "new advice" about intermittent fasting/keto which I asked him about. He would like to see me get off the insulin which of course would be great by I don't really know what is best at this point. I am 74 y.o., my numbers aren't horrible, but they are diabetic #s to be sure. It runs in my family and while I have gained weight I am FAR from overweight (doctor said so!) and am otherwise healthy and active.

So what say you? Mainly about my doctor's advise to eat more frequent smaller meals?
My gut reaction is that your doctor is clueless about how to deal with Diabetes. I tried the many meals a day and it gave me diabetes. I've gone to a OMAD Keto most days to control my sugar without medications.

When you say that you're not overweight, does that mean you fall within the normal weight on BMI? My BMI is 21.6 and I'm working to get it to 20.0.

In my experience, most of the doctors that have given me advice has been terrible advice but I know a lot of people always do what doctors say so that's up to them.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:48 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My gut reaction is that your doctor is clueless about how to deal with Diabetes. I tried the many meals a day and it gave me diabetes. I've gone to a OMAD Keto most days to control my sugar without medications.

When you say that you're not overweight, does that mean you fall within the normal weight on BMI? My BMI is 21.6 and I'm working to get it to 20.0.

In my experience, most of the doctors that have given me advice has been terrible advice but I know a lot of people always do what doctors say so that's up to them.

agree, the typical modern doctor knows little about nutrition. it's not their thing. nothing wrong with that - just dont go there for that.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:06 PM

30,356 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
agree, the typical modern doctor knows little about nutrition. it's not their thing. nothing wrong with that - just dont go there for that.
Right, you can probably take a look at your doctor and figure out real quick if they know about nutrition.

Fortunately at the beginning of COVID, my doctor was very knowledgeable about nutrition and she was one of the first doctors in Kirkland, WA to get covid and she told me from the beginning, the best thing you can do to combat covid is strengthen your immune system, she was not wrong.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have been on glympride for years and it created no additional insulin demand .

what changed me is getting hospitalized with covid .

from that point on i needed a bigger dose .

off glympride the last 6 months and on 4.5 mg trulicity in a once a week shot.

diet and running 3.5 miles can’t do it
The first week of December a close friend died, he had been diabetic for decades and it just got gradually worse. I was visiting him every week a few years ago doctors cut off his foot and he had to start 3X week dialysis. Then I started delivering food to his home every week.

We have a few friends who are dealing with the long-term effects of diabetics.

Everyone says that once you start metformin, your insulin resistance gets worse, and that begins the spiral. I look around and I see a bunch of people who have been dealing with that disease for many years. If there is any change in my diet that I can do to completely avoid diabetes, then I want to try.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:31 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Right, you can probably take a look at your doctor and figure out real quick if they know about nutrition.

Fortunately at the beginning of COVID, my doctor was very knowledgeable about nutrition and she was one of the first doctors in Kirkland, WA to get covid and she told me from the beginning, the best thing you can do to combat covid is strengthen your immune system, she was not wrong.

It seems to me that doctors know a lot about diagnosing diseases, prescribing drugs, and charging insurance. But they know very little about how to strengthen your immune system.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

My natural inclination, and how I actually feel best is to eat two main meals per day. Breakfast around mid-morning, and either very late lunch or early dinner. I may eat a very small but healthy snack in between. I can't see trying to eat six small meals a day, I feel like I would always be eating! I do think most doctors, this one included, just don't really know in-depth about nutrition. He says I should be eating mostly "complex carbs" which I don't think works for me.

As far as weight goes, I am at a good weight, well within healthy BMI. I was somewhat thinner before I started insulin last year; however at age 74, I really looked too thin at my former weight, and like how I look and feel now.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:36 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The first week of December a close friend died, he had been diabetic for decades and it just got gradually worse. I was visiting him every week a few years ago doctors cut off his foot and he had to start 3X week dialysis. Then I started delivering food to his home every week.

We have a few friends who are dealing with the long-term effects of diabetics.

Everyone says that once you start metformin, your insulin resistance gets worse, and that begins the spiral. I look around and I see a bunch of people who have been dealing with that disease for many years. If there is any change in my diet that I can do to completely avoid diabetes, then I want to try.
our endocrinologist who is head of endocrinology at a prominent ny hospital took me off all old school drugs .

he wants my on one of the new glp1 drugs like trulicity.

his reasoning is old school drugs like metformin and glympride have side effect issues and do nothing to protect the organs diabetes likes to go after .

they also can have you go to low at times .

not so with the new shots ..they have been shown to have great stoke protection properties as well as protect the liver and pancreases from diabetic damage .

it is no longer believed that numbers need to be as low as possible with the new drugs

it is also very hard to go to low as these new drugs really kick in when you eat and go in to high gear .

i used to have to watch i didn’t go to low with glympride if i didn’t eat in a while .

so no way i can just try to regulate mine with diet and exercise, i am close to an 8 left untreated.

good or bad a side effect is weight loss . in a year i went from 185 to 158 and not by choice .

these new drugs are costly even with a medicare drug plan . they are tier 4 and 5 .

so i have a 500 dollar deductible, then 11 a month until they pay out about 4800 , then you fall in the gap and pay 25% of the 1k a month cost for the rest of the year .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes