Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM

93,183 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What's wrong with Farmington Hills schools and living in Farmington Hills?

Last time I checked, except for the four square mile area between Inkster-Orchard Lake, 8-Mile, and 10 Mile, with most of the blight and lower class areas being along Grand River, Farmington Hills is a solid middle class city with college-educated and professional degree-holding residents. The city also has a large upper middle class contingent (becoming more upscale to the north and west). As far as I know the schools are first-rate, or at least North Farmington High is.

It might not be as pure white and as upper class as some of the newer and more expensive suburbs like Novi, Commerce, and West Bloomfield, but it's isn't exactly Southfield either.
Actually, Novi and West Bloomfield are more diverse than people realize if they think it is that way then. Check out the demographics for the school districts:West Bloomfield School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information

Novi Community School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM

45 posts, read 142,521 times
I recommend Northville.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Just wanted to see what suburb you decided on. We are moving to Detroit soon, know NOTHING about the area and have three small children. Our daughter will be in second grade and we have a 4 year old and a baby. I need an area with great schools and friendly people as we will know no one. I am leaving my family behind so a great area is essential. Does such a place exist??

Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogirlsandaboy View Post
Just wanted to see what suburb you decided on. We are moving to Detroit soon, know NOTHING about the area and have three small children. Our daughter will be in second grade and we have a 4 year old and a baby. I need an area with great schools and friendly people as we will know no one. I am leaving my family behind so a great area is essential. Does such a place exist??

St. Clair Shores is a nice suburb. Low crime, quiet neighborhoods, good schools. Easy access to Lake St. Clair and Metro Park. Doesn't really offer the thriving downtown area like other areas. Just a good quiet neighborhood to live in. You have access to plenty of shopping like Macomb Mall or if you feel like shopping in the daytime, Eastland mall. You can also check in the Grosse Pointes. Same as St. Clair Shores but a bit more elite. Would cost more money to get into Grosse Pointe over St. Clair Shores.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogirlsandaboy View Post

Well you just decribed about 30 Detroit suburbs. We have the best colleciton of subrubs anywhere in the country. Great schools, low crime and friendly people areas abound.

You need more qualifications. Do you want a small town atmosphere? Suburbia? Modern? Older? A City? Water to play in and look at? Wildlife and forests? Horses and Cows? Do you care about liberal vs. conservative? Diversity? How imprtant are crime statistics to you? Where will you be commuting to? How much do you hate driving? What hours will you or your spouse work (makes a difference in commuting). Do you wnat to be near movie theaters, shopping malls, live theaters, sprts venues. . etc? Do you get involved in community events? Are you an outdoorsy kind of person, shopping mall kind of person, sit on the couch and watch tv kind of person? Do you fish or hunt? Do you want a lot of good resturants or do you not care about that? How much can you spend? Rent or own?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 73,541 times
If I was working in Farmington Hills and I could afford it then without a doubt I would live in West Bloomfield,Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills. They are the more affluent and expensive suburbs of Detroit but the schools will be better, crime will be less/non-existent, and quality of life will be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit