Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,562 times

Advertisements

There are certainly many threads here, and many are not that positive on Michigan. However, when I've been there, I've had a great time! I've spent most of my time in the Detroit metro area, along with Ann Arbor and Lansing... always enjoyed it all. I've wandered around the Detroit suburbs and met friendly people who started chatting with me once they saw I was wearing a hockey-related shirt or jacket. I've been to the downtown area around the Hockeytown Cafe and Comerica Park, where I was welcomed greatly by the locals. I've had parking attendants carry on half-hour conversations with me, started simply because I looked like someone he used to know. I've had a great time with the fans at the Joe when the Wings are in town. I've enjoyed the OHL out in Plymouth (if you're a hockey fan, go -- it's great hockey). I've enjoyed shopping at Great Lakes Crossing.

Basically, my impression is positive. My question is -- what is it like to live in Michigan? Is it easy for newcomers to meet people in day-to-day life? Are people as friendly as they appear? And is the economy really that bleak, or is that a creation of the media?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,476 times
Michigan is a nice place and there are a lot of great things to do. In my 25 years living there I didn't like the weather the most, that's why I first left Michigan. I don't like the cold or snow and prefer to live in a warm climate. I visit my family yearly (who all live in the metro Detroit area). I try to visit once during a cold month and once in the summer. When I go in the summer I like it, it's very nice. The winters make me so glad to get on that plane and get back home.

But some people like the snow/cold and many others who don't can tolerate it.

Michigan's economy is in poor shape right now for things that are automotive related. But that trickles down. People who lose their jobs in that field eventually have to take jobs in other fiels. Many people are losing their jobs and homes as a result of the poor economy. Other people, like those in my family, have not been effected at all and they work for the auto industry.

Places like Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor are not effected so much by the poor economic conditions that the auto industry is causing. It's mostly places like the Detroit area, Saginaw, etc. that feel that sting.

So in a nutshell...Michigan is nice if you don't mind cold weather and won't need to rely on the auto industry for a good job. And by the way, I agree - the hockey is great! :-)

Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM

34 posts, read 470,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
There are certainly many threads here, and many are not that positive on Michigan. However, when I've been there, I've had a great time! I've spent most of my time in the Detroit metro area, along with Ann Arbor and Lansing... always enjoyed it all. I've wandered around the Detroit suburbs and met friendly people who started chatting with me once they saw I was wearing a hockey-related shirt or jacket. I've been to the downtown area around the Hockeytown Cafe and Comerica Park, where I was welcomed greatly by the locals. I've had parking attendants carry on half-hour conversations with me, started simply because I looked like someone he used to know. I've had a great time with the fans at the Joe when the Wings are in town. I've enjoyed the OHL out in Plymouth (if you're a hockey fan, go -- it's great hockey). I've enjoyed shopping at Great Lakes Crossing.

Basically, my impression is positive. My question is -- what is it like to live in Michigan? Is it easy for newcomers to meet people in day-to-day life? Are people as friendly as they appear? And is the economy really that bleak, or is that a creation of the media?

Thanks!
HockeyFan, Thanks for those kind words about Detroit, and I am sure that you had a boss goodtime at Hockeytown. Did you get a chance to visit some of the music cafes around town? If you was here during the winter months, please return we we are rocking n rolling at the festivals in Hart Plaza (a rivverfront park), and our other outdoor Concert park is Chene Park which is 5minutes east of downtown.

Detroit is just like any other city, and all outsiders need is a positive attitude.
Some of these (used to be) Detroit people moved for a better reason, and some moved because they helped to bad name the city now they outside looking in.

The economic situation here in Detroit is bad because of bad politics, and its to many Chiefs with no Indians. I received a call from a business associate who got robbed in a 95% white Michigan town, and he said that crime is everywhere..I agree. However life is how you enjoy and respect others, and being able to enjoy yourself you must be around positive people. Come back anytime HockeyFan.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM

364 posts, read 527,703 times
It is great to hear some positive words on Michigan! Most of my family is there in the burbs, Macomb County. I enjoyed my time when I lived there. Enjoyed Wings & Pistons game. Somerset shopping. Enjoyed the food. Since I'm not in a major metro area now, I really miss the sports and diverse ethnic food.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,562 times
Every time I've been in Michigan has been in the winter months, and I haven't had a chance to check out the local music scene. However, from Motown to Eminem to Bob Seger to Kid Rock, it is tough to top Detroit when it comes to music. Those, and other, artists not only were popular, but many created a new genre of music.

The snow and cold doesn't bother me, I've been around it most of my life. I was at the outdoor Michigan vs Michigan St. hockey game a few years ago, what a great time!

Do you think the auto industry will start to bounce back? Every year when I go to the auto shows, it seems the American companies are the most innovative, and it's starting to show. The Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia is a great example of the high quality designs from American companies these days... same can be said for the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, and a few others. I know the problems run deep -- and Ford's outlook is somewhat bleak -- but I think a resurgence of American car companies is starting to begin.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 AM

Michigan does have some good musicians, Kid Rock and Bob Seger are two of my favorites.

The auto industry would bounce back if they could do away with the unions that are killing it. But they have a strong hold and will never go away. And foreign auto makers are climbing the charts in terms of sales. So it will never be as it once was. The Michigan auto making hay day is over. It's on the decline now until it finally steadies out.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM

34 posts, read 470,843 times
Default The Detroit Sound and The Motown Sound.

HockeyFan. I was born here in Detroit 59 years ago, and there was TWO things that put Detroit on the map. Automobiles and the Detroit/Motown sound. Detroit is like another other urban city in America. We have seen the goodtimes like we have experienced the badtimes. There is a differences between Artists who is from the metro Detroit area, and being a recording artist from Detroit. Back in the days a recording artist like Iggy Pop, Bob Seger, and Alice Cooper all played in surrounding metro cities. The Detroit homegrown artists and groups was Mary Wells,The Temptations,Martha Reeves, Smokey Robinson,David Ruffin,The Marvelettes, and many artists came to Detroit from other cities to join Motown.

The now American generation needs to know about the realistic background of Detroit. Hitsville U.S.A (The Motown's Mother company) is still located on West Grand Blvd just east of Rosa Park Blvd. Hitsville is open to the public six days a week. Also farther east of Hitsville is the New Center area, and during the summer season it hosts outdoors concerts that feature good food on display.

What gets me is people bad mouth the neighborhoods, and many NEVER been in a neighborhood...but have the gusts to dog the neighborhood. Like I stated on another thread...don't believe the hype, and the best way is to discover Detroit for yourself.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother WilliamX View Post
What gets me is people bad mouth the neighborhoods, and many NEVER been in a neighborhood...but have the gusts to dog the neighborhood. Like I stated on another thread...don't believe the hype, and the best way is to discover Detroit for yourself.
I read in the newspaper how Hitsville was burglarized back a few years ago. And remember that guy tht respected Rosa Parks so much that he actually broke into her home while she was there? That's some spirit for you! What a shame...

He's got a good point about the music coming from in the city of Detroit - or used to come, not much anymore. And that coming from the suburbs. The suburbs is where the likes of Bob Seger, Kid Rock and Eminem come from. They say "Detroit" but really it's outside of Detroit where that talent comes from.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 18,470 times
Default Now now, don't smash on the music scene

seriously, I'm not that big of a fan, but don't forget that it wasn't so many years ago that the stripes were playing the Detroit circuit as regulars(and I do mean in the city itself). Also don't forget about techno, if you don't like it that's fine, and I realize it's been in a bit of a down turn lately, but most of the great techno bars have been in the city, and it's roots are firmly Detroit, not surburban living.

Other than that, another common thread I see on here is that Ferndale is just the cheaper little sister of Royal Oak. Maybe that was true ten years ago, but not now. Royal Oak is cool, but it's a different place, more mainstream Izod, Ferndale is hipster cool, retro, gay, real starving artists. Choice is yours, but remember those were Royal Oak's original traits that lead to its rise.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM

120 posts, read 631,801 times
Default re

I've been in Detroit, but not really around Detroit. I mostly hit downtown coming in and out of Windsor Ontario. From what I've seen, the downtown area is actually pretty nice. The skyline is a nice addition to the Windsor downtown too, especially from Riverside Park. I haven't really been into the outter neighborhoods, so I can't speak for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit