Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times

Advertisements

-Since you will be in Dearborn, please go to the Arab-American Museum, the only one of its kind in America, and it is affiliated with the Smithsonian.

-You mentioned you like Asian food, but do you like Middle Eastern food? If so, the 2 mile stretch of West Warren Avenue through Dearborn is packed with Middle EAstern restaurants, bakeries, and markets. If you like to hookah, there are several upscale establishments as well.

-Someone already mentioned Belle Isle. It is one of the more unique urban parks in the country. The aquarium is small, but it is the oldest in the Country (1904) and has great retro architecture.

-If you are here on a Saturday Morning/Early Afternoon, Eastern Market, is a can't miss cultural experience.

-Other places I would consider is the Deqindre Cut Greenway(a former below grade rail line turned into an urban trail with tons of graffiti art), the Motown Museum, and considering its the 75th anniversary of D-Day, a trip to the Holocaust Moemorial Center, the nation's first and one of the finest institutions of its kind in the country, is also recommended. The center is in Farmington Hills, if you go out there, check out Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, a fun place for adults and kids.

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum – Known from Coast to Coast like Butter and Toast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,451 times
The Toledo Zoo is a lot better than the Detroit Zoo. Toledo also has a Great Lakes Museum/ship tour that's really neat.

With Kids - Henry Ford or Greenfield Village are good choices. Just pick one for the day, not both. That would be way too much in a day for younger kids.

I like the idea of the AA Hands on Museum better than the Natural History Museum- again, because you've got the kids.

Or the Detroit Science Center (which would be closer to your location).

Windsor is really kind of meh. Not a bad place, but not much of note either.

I like the idea of taking in game at Comerica Park.

Eastern Market/Belle Isle are also good ideas.

Also, there are some really neat festivals/fairs all over the area during the summer months. Milford has their summer fest in August. I know the Armada Fair is in August. Different Art fairs, etc.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:13 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm thinking this is my shortlist based on the feedback and our interests, in order of priority:

Henry Ford or Greenfield Village
Eastern Market
Riverwalk
Belle Isle
Q line or Metro Mover
Windsor

Two more questions:

1) Where would you recommend for the best authentic Chinese food, or Asian food in general?
2) What are the best walkable urban neighborhoods to check out? I have done some research on this aspect of Detroit over the years and it really seems y'all have quite a few decent pockets, particularly in the suburbs where so many have a nice little town center. Soo, if you had to suggest just a few, which are your top choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
-Since you will be in Dearborn, please go to the Arab-American Museum, the only one of its kind in America, and it is affiliated with the Smithsonian.

-You mentioned you like Asian food, but do you like Middle Eastern food? If so, the 2 mile stretch of West Warren Avenue through Dearborn is packed with Middle EAstern restaurants, bakeries, and markets. If you like to hookah, there are several upscale establishments as well.
I think I will skip any museums that aren't specifically tailored to little kids. It's a shame cause I do love unique art and history museums, but just don't think it'll be worth the time with the kids. I will look at the Middle Eastern offerings in Dearborn, makes sense that there would be a lot in that town. Haha, hookah used to be a favorite pastime many moons ago.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm thinking this is my shortlist based on the feedback and our interests, in order of priority:

Eastern Market
Riverwalk
Belle Isle
Q line or Metro Mover
Windsor

Two more questions:

1) Where would you recommend for the best authentic Chinese food, or Asian food in general?
2) What are the best walkable urban neighborhoods to check out? I have done some research on this aspect of Detroit over the years and it really seems y'all have quite a few decent pockets, particularly in the suburbs where so many have a nice little town center. Soo, if you had to suggest just a few, which are your top choices?

I think I will skip any museums that aren't specifically tailored to little kids. It's a shame cause I do love unique art and history museums, but just don't think it'll be worth the time with the kids. I will look at the Middle Eastern offerings in Dearborn, makes sense that there would be a lot in that town. Haha, hookah used to be a favorite pastime many moons ago.
If you eat Chinese food, you must order Almond Chicken. It is prepared differently in Detroit than elsewhere and in fact it is called Detroit Almond Chicken.

https://www.freep.com/story/life/foo...cipe/23879913/

For me, I really think that Wing Hongs on the corner of 10 mile and Southfield Rd in Southfield, MI is the best. Their lunch specials are cheap and really good and they give you a lot of food for less than $10. (entree with soup and egg roll). I think this is the best Chinese restaurant in Metro Detroit.

Detroit suburbs with downtown areas: (There are 4 really worth visiting, 3 that are very nice, 3 that are ok, and 6 that are noteworthy if you live in Metro Detroit but not really worth spending the time to seek out as a tourist.)

1) Birmingham (must see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
2) Royal Oak (must see)
3) Ann Arbor (must see)
4) Windsor (must see)

5) Plymouth (very nice)
6) Wyandotte (very nice)
7) Milford (very nice)

8) Rochester (ok to nice)
9) Northville (ok and close to Plymouth)
10) Ferndale (ok and next to Royal Oak)

11) Ypsilanti (meh)
12) Grosse Pointe (meh)
13) Dearborn (meh)
14) Lake Orion (meh)
15) Farmington (meh)
16) Mt. Clemens (meh)

Last edited by Republic of Michigan; 06-08-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
^The OP is traveling with a four year old and a young toddler.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 AM

19 posts, read 36,871 times
Last thing I would do if visiting the metro area is to hit up Birmingham. With kids that age, try the science center in midtown. The 4 year old will love it and there are plenty of walkable food options close by. When my kids were that young, they liked looking at skyscrapers, which of course you can do on your way there. Midtown Detroit is an easy drive from Dearborn, and if your kids like Ice Cream (who doesn’t), try Treat Dreams!

Another poster mentioned riding the people mover. It’s actually a very cool way to see the city, and kids like it.

Enjoy.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
you should go to windsor for few hours. You don't need to stay. Go there for lunch with he kids, then for a walk in Canadian side of the riverwalk. The Asian food is much better in Canada and you get to go to a new country.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I disagree that the Toldeo Zoo is better than the Detroit Zoo. The Detroit Zoo is simply more spread out and requires more walking (50 acres in Toledo vs 125 acres in Detroit). The aquarium is a nice touch and the diversity of animals at Toledo is more impressive, but as for a place to visit and see some really impressive habitats and animal experiences - the Detroit Zoo is really quite impressive, just.. be ready for a day of walking. You can leave your car parked at the garage and make a day out of visiting Downtown Royal Oak by going to the Detroit Zoo as they are adjacent. The Toledo Zoo kind of felt like it was in the middle of a neighborhood.

Also, as a parent of a 2 and 4 year old, I'd suggest the Outdoor Recreation Adventure Center (on the Detroit Riverwalk) which is basically a day Up North, but in a fun interactive museum setting aimed at the under-6 crowd. Belle Isle is fun too, the conservatory is fun and even my 4 year old is impressed by the architecture in the aquarium out there. Those are free (well, make a donation please!) too. And as everyone has said, Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford are great. If you want to do something kind of unique, the Yankee Air Museum in Ypsilanti was a big hit with my older kid.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Eastern Market
Riverwalk
Belle Isle
Q line or Metro Mover
Windsor

Two more questions:

Asian Food:
-I don't know much about the best Asian food restaurants in the metro area. I do know that there are concentrations in the suburbs of Madison Heights and Novi, and to a lesser extent, Canton.

-Detroit Metro does have an above average-sized Japanese population due to the auto industry. Most of the Japanese restaurants are in Novi and Canton. The best I've heard about include Ajishin, One World Market, and Aji Ten. Novi also has Moose Pastry & Tea, which is an awesome, authentic Japanese bakery. The best sushi may be Noble Fish in Clawson, an added bonus is that Noble is located in downtown Clawson, so you can explore Clawson's little business district.

-For the best Asian restaurants in Windsor, see below link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windsoronta...od_in_windsor/

-Lastly, Detroit is relatively mediocre in Asian food, but since you will be in Detroit, why not try our strengths? Detroit Style deep dish pizza is amazing and is sweeping the nation. The restaurant that started it all in 1946 is Buddy's. Please take the family to the original location on Detroit's east side and enjoy some great pizza and atmosphere. Also, there are still a few classic Greek restaurants in Greektown, and of course everybody has to try a "coney dog". Lastly, corned beef egg rolls and Hani's (chicken tender pita sandwiches) are also worthy of trying.

Walkable Communities;
-The most outstanding walkable urban neighborhood is downtown Detroit, and the 2nd is midtown Detroit. I have noticed you from way back years ago visiting Detroit. Downtown and Midtown Detroit have changed immensely, with downtown even getting a mini shopping district due to the efforts of Dan Gilbert, and many restaurants and boutique hotels have opened up. I would recommend these before Birmingham and Royal Oak,

-Woodward and Cass Avenue in Midtown are also great walking streets. Mr. Republic's recommendations are good, too.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
My brother is visiting from Germany where he moved 3.5 years ago. His daughter is 4. He lived here (on and off) until he was 48, so he knows the area quite well and knows what will work for his 4 year old. His list is Kensington Metropark, Ann Arbor Hands on Museum, and Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills. They might go to the toledo zoo. Also possibly up to the UP/Mackinac island, but that is more for them than for the little one. They will be here for three weeks, so they have a lot more time than OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit