Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 14,792 times

Advertisements

So I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on visas and answer some "lifestyle" questions about both cities. I know there has been a thread recently that has been helpful, but my specific situation is that I am married to a Canadian citizen. Long story short, we are trying to figure out where to live after my wife finishes up law school (in Canada). If you have any insight, below are some questions I have:

1) Will I need a visa if I'm married to a Canadian and commuting to work in Detroit? I have looked into and spoken with a lawyer regarding immigration, but not the whole commuter issue

2) How is Windsor's atmosphere and will it be a fun place to live for 20-something married couples? Conversely, how is Detroit's? I honestly know very little about either place.

3) What, if any, is the proximity / availability to good state/national parks as we are big into camping / backpacking. I know plenty of places in Northern Minnesota / Thunder Bay area, but nothing about Michigan / Windsor.

I GREATLY appreciate any insight anyone can provide. Fingers crossed it won't be as complicated as I'm imagining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
I can only say on #1 that in order to live in Canada, you need some type of visa. Do you have a Canadian visa, permanent residency, or are you a Canadian citizen? It shouldn't be a problem for you to cross the border every day if you do.
Also, as I understand, you will hit heavy traffic at the immigration checkpoint. Make sure you check the website to see wait times. It might be the USCIS website that has this info but you can also google it and check.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 AM

No visa, PR, or citizenship, although I am married to a Canadian citizen. We are working on what the best options are currently. Unfortunately I was hoping that everything would work out (or at least be a bit easier) if we were married. Wait times for the PR visa are quite long. Hopefully we'll figure something out. Thanks for response!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I think it would be easiest for your wife to just move to the Michigan side. Since she married an American - that won't be an issue then both of you can work here and visit her family on holidays.

Detroit's is much better than Windsor but that's because Detroit has four pro sports teams and a metro of 5 million while Windsor has a metro of 500K. Think of it as just another Detroit suburb. You are only four hours to Toronto or Chicago so weekend train excursions are fun.

Canada has what is Algonquin National Park - their version of the Boundary Waters you referenced in MN. I've camped in both and loved it. Michigan you have to go over to the Newago State Park area (3 hr drive) for some forest camping or further up north. Michigan is more forest/lake and less true wilderness.

Congrats on the move!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I think it would be easiest for your wife to just move to the Michigan side. Since she married an American - that won't be an issue then both of you can work here and visit her family on holidays.
I don't think that the OP is an American citizen. I also don't think that he is a Canadian citizen.

But I've been wrong before.....

Old 01-13-2016, 12:44 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I don't think that the OP is an American citizen. I also don't think that he is a Canadian citizen.

But I've been wrong before.....
Well, ConfusedinUSA1 makes me think that he is in the USA.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM

I live in Houston currently! Definitely an American citizen. Met my wife in college, but she went back to Canada for law school. We are trying to figure out where we are going to end up. Looks like Detroit is an option.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't think she can work in the US without a visa. My understanding is that she could live here though. Maybe we just get a place in MI and she can commute across the border to CA.

Excited to hear about some good camping too.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Your Wife can sponsor you under the Spousal Visa program, offered by the Canadian Government.

here is a link to that part of the Canadian Immigration website... READ and save it on your computer.

Family sponsorship

If she has graduated with a LLB, and is a Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada , she would be stupid to try to work in the USA.

Once YOU are issued with a spousal visa, you can work in Canada, for as long as you want. And after being on that spousal visa for 3 years, you can apply for Permanent Residency. After 4 years as a PR you can apply for Canadian citizenship. Being granted citizenship in Canada has NO effect on your status as a US Citizen.... both countries allow dual citizenship.

The idea of trying to cross into the US on a daily basis, from Canada is crazy. Why do I say that ? At any time, you can find your self sitting on the bridge, or in the tunnel under the Detroit river, waiting to be seen by the US or the Canadian agents. Backlogs at the Ambassador bridge can be hours long. I know, because I used to cross that bridge as many as 3 times in a week, as a commercial driver.

A much better idea is to take advantage of your marriage to a Canadian, and make a life for the two of you in Canada. I would suggest that Windsor is NOT the place to do that.... It is a tired and rusty old industrial dinosaur. Even people who were born there are leaving to go to more successful places in Ontario. Your estimate of Windsor's population was way too high at 500 thousand, in reality it is 225 thousand.

Obviously, it is up to the two of you, but given the rising political and social unrest in the USA, Canada looks a lot better now.

Jim B.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 PM

84 posts, read 303,067 times
^ Typical for someone from Toronto to describe Windsor as "tired and rusty". I suggest the OP should really explore Windsor. He will find cultural diversity and ethnic enclaves like no other city of its size has in Canada, a low cost of living, very safe and established urban neighbourhoods, one of the best waterfront park systems in Canada, and wonderful people. Windsor is not like any other city in southern Ontario. To really understand it though you have to fully explore it.

There are thousands of Windsorites who cross the border every day for work - these people are not "crazy". They have Nexus passes (which the OP should look into) and the vast majority of commutes are quick and painless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit