Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,486,103 times

Advertisements

Who else would agree the Pistons belong in Detroit?i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,975 times
Certainly they need to be in a more central location, but it's unlikely they'll move anytime soon. They are renovating the Palace sometime soon.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 AM

21,165 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Detroit isn't exactly a central location, unless you are talking about far northwest Detroit.

Personally, I think these large monstrosities do more harm than good. They are a big obstruction to movement, tie up a large amount of space, are rarely used, are very ugly, become outdated (supposedly) and are left abandoned, serve mostly suburbanites, promote idleness and drunkenness, and provide no lasting contribution to the commercial activity of the city (other than bars).

Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,069,501 times
The problem with locating sports arenas in Detroit is that you risk having your car broken into or stolen or getting mugged, etc., when you go to see a game.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,424,483 times
Nah I think that argument is ridiculous. Does the risk of this go up slightly? Sure. But is it significant? Nah, not really. Just ask the many thousands of Lions, Tigers & Red Wings fans that regularly go into Detroit for games. And I'm a guy from Chicago (Bulls fan also) that happens to be in central Michigan for school for a bit. Pistons are in a tough spot b/c the new owner owns the stadium outright I believe. The stadium is renovated, very functional & hosts a lot of other functions like concerts. I think in the long run he should partner up with fellow billionaire Ilitch and house the Pistons in a state of the art arena in a downtown Detroit arena with the Red Wings. You know, in Chicago the Bulls share the United Center with the Blackhawks, and in New York the Knicks share the Madison Square Garden with the Rangers. It can certainly be done.

Folks in & near the city of Detroit, plus west suburbanites, down river folk and even a handful of Canadians will all of a sudden start coming to games that haven't bothered to trek to Auburn Hills for years. Gotta remember, in a way it's hip to be "Detroit" in the same way the New Jersey Nets moved to Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The problem with locating sports arenas in Detroit is that you risk having your car broken into or stolen or getting mugged, etc., when you go to see a game.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,893,945 times
I agree. Pistons should be in Detroit. I guess 3/4 ain't bad but it would still be nice to have 100% of the pro sports teams in Detroit city limits. It's not like the Pistons are located in an inner ring suburb like Southfield or Warren. It's wayyy out in Auburn Hills, north of Pontiac. Placed near the end of a sea of burbs, shopping centers, and office parks. The only people it is more convenient to is people in that part of the county near OU, and people coming from the north like Flint or Saginaw. Oh and of course, the people afraid to go into Detroit, even downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit